Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Converting a .rar file - Book by David Eddings

I have recently downloaded a book by David Eddings called Tamuli, from All About Ebooks. I converted the file using Calibre, to LRF for reading on my Sony PRS-505. Unfortunately, the converted file is awful to read as in a number of instances, sentences finish halfway across a line and finish on the next line. Is there anything that can be done to improve the presentation. Should I have used Calibre, should I converted to some other format?

Any guidance will be appreciated.
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
I have recently downloaded a book by David Eddings called Tamuli, from All About Ebooks. I converted the file using Calibre, to LRF for reading on my Sony PRS-505. Unfortunately, the converted file is awful to read as in a number of instances, sentences finish halfway across a line and finish on the next line. Is there anything that can be done to improve the presentation. Should I have used Calibre, should I converted to some other format?

Forum members much more expert than I am will no doubt jump in to help you shortly.

I don't think telling us the book was a RAR file helps much. RAR files are zipped files that can be of any format. Your RAR file was possibly a PDF or LIT or HTML. After you have identified it, you will find discussions elsewhere on this forum on how best to convert it.

Personally I like to reduce all ebook files to text and then use hard sweaty manual labour in Ebook Tidy and MS WORD to turn it into a nice RTF file - but there are more efficient methods.

Second thoughts:

(Umm.... RAR files are usually torrent downloads these days. Are you SURE it came from All About Ebooks? People here will be reluctant to help you if it is a pirate).

Last edited by RCR; 11-07-2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: after thoughts
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This appears to be an unauthorized ebook. These often have the kind of issues you describe.

The Tamuli series is about to be reissued in a single volume paperback by Del Ray, so perhaps there is hope for an authorized ebook version as well.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
What is "All About Ebooks" anyway? I don't recognize that vendor, and a Google search turned up nothing.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Was this a legal eBook? If so, what format is it? RAR is a compression format and not an eBook format so telling us you converted a RAR file is useless. If this is not a legal eBook, I suggest you ask to have this thread deleted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Apologies if I have caused a controversy. I had no intention of downloading an illegal book and seeking advice on this excellent website. This is where I downloaded it from:-
'David Eddings: Tamuli Series « Free Download of eBooks
26 Oct 2007 ... Free eBooks Download at [title removed] Book#3: The Hidden City The third and final volume in David Eddings’s epic fantasy series. ...

[link removed]

I downloaded it using Rapidshare. Furthermore, the website [title removed] was given the green tick by McAfee Site Advisor. If it is illegal, can someone advise me and I will remove it forthwith.

Bill

Last edited by Patricia; 11-08-2008 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Links removed for copyright reasons.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've taken a quick look and this is definitely an illegal source. Whoever put up the books is doing so illegally. And the copy you did receive is in rather poor condition. No wonder the conversion did not work well.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've also had a look and the source is undoubtedly not legal. So I'm afraid that I'll have to remove the link.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 AM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Furthermore, the website [title removed] was given the green tick by McAfee Site Advisor. Bill
This only tells you that the site is safe; not whether it respects copyright.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
This only tells you that the site is safe; not whether it respects copyright.
Very well stated.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"RapidShare" should immediately raise a red flag. It's a site used almost exclusively by criminals.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The fact that the LIT edition looked like a really poorly formatted text file should have raised red flags as well.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
billbirchall
Enthusiast

My profuse apologies. As I said before, I had no intention of downloading an illegal book and have already removed it from my computer. Thank you all for alerting me and I will certainly be very much more careful in the future.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely not criticizing you, Bill. As a newcomer to the eBook scene, one does have to learn what to look out for, and unfortunately there is a lot of illegal material out there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"RapidShare" should immediately raise a red flag. It's a site used almost exclusively by criminals.
What criminals?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote