Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #36121
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
try baby food. I've brought a couple of cats back from the brink with that
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #36122
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
try baby food. I've brought a couple of cats back from the brink with that
We might try that. However, if she likes it the problem will be to get her to eat lots of it. She likes a lot of things but is satisfied after a couple of bites.

She's walking a lot better today, only on soft surfaces such as a bed or a pillow is she still unstable. I have to admit, though, that she's never very stable on those surfaces anyway.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #36123
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kidney failure can cause cats to appear "uncoordinated" or "clumsy" - the build-up of toxins normally filtered out by the healthy kidney affects the nerves that tell the cat where she is, how far to jump, etc.
Make sure all the stuff she needs (litter box, sleep blankets, etc.) are at ground level.

Try canned kitten food first - it is high in calories and nutritionally balanced for cats. Some human baby foods can contain very high sodium levels (not good for an unhealthy kidney). You can smear a little baby food on top toe entice her to eat. Also, your vet may have lysine - daily dosing can boost healing & the immune system.

Also - some of the feline prescription diets (Iams, Science Diet, etc) have canned varieties with gravy - that are formulated for cats with kidney problems.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #36124
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that was an interesting night...

I woke up around 3.30am coughing, there was smoke inside my room. I looked outside and I only saw smoke. There was a fire in the basement next door. We rent part of that and it's open to our basement. Luckily we have an extraction fan in the door to the garden, otherwise we wouldn't have noticed the fire!

We spend the morning in the store of neighbors (which is at a different location, a bit further away). The only real damage is to our stock in the basement. In the rest of the store and house there's a lot of soot and everything stinks.

I'm now at my friends' place where I was going to look after the dog. I'm trying to calm down, later I'm going to buy some new clothes and toiletries, so my parents can focus on cleaning their clothes and bedding today.

Nobody was hurt, the people living over the store next door weren't allowed back yet, the lingerie store is totally wrecked.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #36125
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

I woke up around 3.30am coughing, there was smoke inside my room. I looked outside and I only saw smoke. There was a fire in the basement next door. We rent part of that and it's open to our basement. Luckily we have an extraction fan in the door to the garden, otherwise we wouldn't have noticed the fire!

We spend the morning in the store of neighbors (which is at a different location, a bit further away). The only real damage is to our stock in the basement. In the rest of the store and house there's a lot of soot and everything stinks.

I'm now at my friends' place where I was going to look after the dog. I'm trying to calm down, later I'm going to buy some new clothes and toiletries, so my parents can focus on cleaning their clothes and bedding today.

Nobody was hurt, the people living over the store next door weren't allowed back yet, the lingerie store is totally wrecked.
Oh that is so scary! That could have ended badly. I'm glad all of you are okay. Is Lexie traumatized?
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #36126
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am glad that you are OK. Hopefully it sorts itself out soon.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #36127
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you all. Lexie is okay, we got her into her basket before she knew what was going on. We brought her to the vet this morning and picked her up tonight.

The house is very dirty. My rooms escaped the worst, or so it seems at the moment. Despite it being filled with smoke last night the smell isn't as bad as in the rest of the house and although there's a layer of soot it isn't as thick and it isn't the sticky kind found in the other rooms. Probably because of the natural airflow on my floor from the stairwell to the attic.

The shower, work surfaces in the kitchen, toilet and washer and drier are now relatively clean, so tomorrow the real cleaning can begin. First the upstairs where we live and later the store, although it might take a while before we can open again.

Today there were actual customers who rang the doorbell telling us how sorry b they are for what happened and they understand we're closed but they only need a small thing. You just want to scream at them. Other people ring the doorbell to tell us they're sorry for what happened. Very nice but not helpful when you're trying to get organized.

Personally I'm doing so-and-so. At times I'm positive, other times I'm crying and feeling very negative and crying my irritated eyes out.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #36128
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
any idea how the fire started?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #36129
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
any idea how the fire started?
Officially not, according to the firemen the fire was too hot to say for certain. From photos I've seen it looks like the fire started on our side of the wooden division up at ceiling level where both wiring and heating ducts for our neighbor are. When the store's closed all power to our own basement and the past we hire gets switched off completely, if you want light in the basement outside opening hours (when it gets switched off automatically) you have to turn it on manually upstairs otherwise switches won't work and no power outlet will work. Because of this it seems unlikely the electrical fault is caused by our electrics.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #36130
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Taking a short break from cleaning to do some laundry and walk the dog at my friends' place.

I just spend nearly 5 hours cleaning the closet we keep the towels in. Outside, inside, the drawers, the shelves, everything. At least we can now put our clean towels in a clean place.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #36131
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
That's lousy, Bianca. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #36132
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

I woke up around 3.30am coughing, there was smoke inside my room. I looked outside and I only saw smoke. There was a fire in the basement next door. <snip>
That was horrible and I am glad no one was hurt or worse. I hope it all settles down soon and you are able to get everything cleaned up.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #36133
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's lousy, Bianca. Hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
That was horrible and I am glad no one was hurt or worse. I hope it all settles down soon and you are able to get everything cleaned up.
I wish cleaning would be easy, but our house is huge and if you have that much space you fill it. Tomorrow I'll start my rooms, which aren't bad. I picked up a cup from my nightstand today and there wasn't any soot on it. I've decided to get rid of a lot of things, I've been planning to do so for ages but never started and now I have the incentive.

Despite having washed my hear twice tonight it still smells of smoke. Yuk (the smell will go when my hair dries, but still yuk).
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #36134
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Trying to decide what I want to read. I'm currently reading two books which are too complicated to concentrate on with everything that's going on. I need a nice light read with nothing really complicated going on. Maybe I'll start Robert Aspin's Myth Inc. series. I've heard they are funny (and I need that!) and not too long.

Otherwise busy with clearing my rooms. I think that my hoarder-apprenticeship is at an end. I'm now going for a minimalistic life.

I must say I'm glad I'm an ereader. Even if I only had half of the books I have digitally as paper version it would be a shame to get rid of them. I still have paper books, some can be thrown away, others I hope to salvage.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #36135
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Fire is the one thing that really scares the hell out of me... I was sort of trapped by a forest fire when I was a pre teen, and I still remember how frightened I was. I'm glad you are all safe.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?