Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-15-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Key Events in Microsoft History

"1975: January 1 The MITS Altair 8800 appears on the cover of Popular Electronics, inspiring Paul Allen and Bill Gates to develop a BASIC language for the Altair..."

If you were ever interested in what has made one the richest man in the world - you can download the full Wordfile from here.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That brings back memories. I was still in grade school, and I was fascinated to no end by that issue. If I remember right, the article even showed examples of machine code using the toggle switches. I remember trying to figure out how to program with pencil and paper based on information about that early micro.

I'd have to say that in a way, that one article in a magazine from my school library was a big factor in setting my interests and the course of my life! Then lots of machine and assembler and BASIC code later, I got to play with things like (with a Z-80 - my second favorite processor from the old days) TRS-80 Model I with cassette for permanent storage, and Model III with character graphics, Apple II (Motorola processors I think), one of the first HP programmable calculators, CDC mainframes, PDP-11 (my absolute favorite processor because of the really nice arrangement and flexibility of the internal registers), etc etc. All that before the Macintosh got popular! Yes I got one of those also. And a Mac Plus. I remember my awesome 20meg hard drive that probabaly cost something like $600!

Who knew that by 2004 thru PDAs it would be commonplace to have all that computer power and more right in the palm of your hand! And you don't even have to use mini punch cards!!!!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Team7
Zealot
Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Team7 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Toshiba e755,Samsung i730
Sorry Bob but I think I understood probably about 20% of what you are talking about Thats pretty amazing that you had those type of interests at that age. Thanks for the link to that article morph.
Team7 is offline   Reply With Quote