Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Fire 7
[GUI Plugin] Polish ISBN

This little plugin validates ISBN-10s and converts them to the newer standard, ISBN-13. Some sites that pull metadata are not great at matching the two versions, so ISBN-13 may get more and more current information.

The plugin will handle multiple selections, and will skip blank or invalid ISBNs.

This is my first plugin, and my first real venture with Python as well, so I welcome the feedback.

Special Notes:
  • Requires Calibre v0.8.57 or later.

Installation Steps:
  1. Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/add to context menu or toolbar/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
Attached Files
File Type: zip polish_isbn.zip (23.7 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by stanking; 09-23-2014 at 08:23 PM.
stanking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
stanking
Noob Developer
stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!

Thanks for checking in on this plugin. If you try it out, let me know how it works for you, and also what other ISBN-related utilities you wish Calibre had. I might get adventurous and add features.
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@stanking - Did/have you considered folding this into the Extract ISBN - would be nice to have a one stop solution.

I'm thinking of an option in the Extract to do the Polish.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@stanking - Did/have you considered folding this into the Extract ISBN - would be nice to have a one stop solution.

I'm thinking of an option in the Extract to do the Polish.

BR
That's a very good idea.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
stanking
Noob Developer

Yeah, I started from Kiwidude's plugin, which was very helpful since the Calibre code is not the most intuitive and barely commented (no insult intended; it's a robust workhorse!). I intend eventually to branch out and include a group of ISBN-related utilities, but Grant has a lot of irons in the fire, so a collaboration may not work. I felt it was better to test and expand this as a separate effort for now, and then maybe combining a number of current plugins in the future would be more natural. But you're right; it's a good idea.

Some of the enhancements I'd like to pursue include suggesting publisher and language info, not pulled from various websites, but based on ISBN itself, since certain blocks of ISBNs are assigned by country and by publisher. There are also possibilities to link to information on OCLC and DOI identifiers since they have a relationship to ISBN.

And then my wild dream is to develop a hueristic algorithm to suggest corrections to invalid ISBNs. Most invalid ISBNs I've seen are the result of poor scans where a 1 becomes an I or a 0 becomes an O, or there's an extra digit or a missing one or two numbers are transposed. It should be possible to suggest alternatives and then look up metadata for the alternates to see if one matches title/author. Or that's the dream. If I could implement this, it would improve the capture ability of Extract ISBN as well.

Last edited by stanking; 09-22-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's a very good idea.
Thanks Jon

@stanking - I think it's due to work pressures that kiwidude hasn't been so active of late. Maybe you could send him a PM asking if he's amenable to letting you make the change to the Extract ISBN. There is a precedent, in recent months enhancements were made to kiwidude's Modify PI by Rev. Bob.

But here's maybe a better idea if your interested. A PI that would allow the user to string a series of actions into a 'work task' - eg Extract ISBN, Polish ISBN, Download Metadata - or another one might be Convert, Count Pages, Modify.

Anyway I should have said thanks for the PI - so

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
stanking
Noob Developer

Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But here's maybe a better idea if your interested...
Dang. Way to think big. That might be too ambitious a project for me and my one plugin's worth of experience. (But I'll consider it; I love a challenge. ) And a plugin that allows you to pipe tasks is a brilliant concept; more useful than just hardlinking a couple of plugins.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
stanking
Noob Developer

Anybody willing to tell me how the plugin does on a Mac or Linux system? I don't expect any problems, but I'd like to know for certain. Meanwhile, until I hear a bug report, I'm going to work on enhancements.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I totally agree with BetterRed. To be able to start a chain of plugins/actions would be a very nice addition.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote