Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
I only use the plugin if I plan to transfer lots of books at a time. I mostly just use Dropbox (or the Copy app with the Open In function).

My Calibre is still at 1.48; I'm afraid to update

Last edited by Loosheesh; 09-01-2014 at 11:40 AM. Reason: removed Copy link
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #17
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've never been able to get that to work. But I can point dropbox within the Marvin app to a specific folder, I didn't know that was possible as it wasn't when I first got Marvin so that's great news.
It connects almost automatically.
Open calibre and turn on the Calibre server.
In Marvin choose "Get books", then "OPDS", then "Search local network" then "calibre server". It should connect.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2014, 01:41 PM   #18
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
It connects almost automatically.
Open calibre and turn on the Calibre server.
In Marvin choose "Get books", then "OPDS", then "Search local network" then "calibre server". It should connect.
Thanks Ben, I'll try that next time.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use dropbox because I can store a number of books there and not have to use the space on my iPhone or iPad. So I only store the books I am actually reading in Marvin and the rest sit in dropbox.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 AM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I use dropbox because I can store a number of books there and not have to use the space on my iPhone or iPad. So I only store the books I am actually reading in Marvin and the rest sit in dropbox.
That's what I'm going to do from now on. I deleted the app to get rid of the 700 books on it as I'm now on 2.01 (which I needed for my Kobo) then reinstalled and added 4 books via Dropbox.

I do like to read in Marvin but as I mainly read on both an iPad mini and a Paperwhite I use the kindle app for whispersync. The only time nowadays I use the books in Marvin is to feed into voice Dream when I want to listen and not read.

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-31-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 04:08 AM   #21
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Quote:
The only time nowadays I use the books in Marvin is to feed into voice Dream when I want to listen and not read.
Sounds interesting... Is there any way I could know more about that ?

Thank you !
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The only time nowadays I use the books in Marvin is to feed into voice Dream when I want to listen and not read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
Sounds interesting... Is there any way I could know more about that ?

Thank you !
I'm interested as well; do share more info, thank you
Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #23
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Voice Dream is an apple app that can read DRM free epubs back to you. It has a built in voices in various languages or you can buy voices. I've bought a few.

Once the app is installed on your I device if the ePub is in Marvin you can go to it and select Share, then open the ePub in the Voice Dream app. Then Voice Dream can read it to you.

http://www.voicedream.com

The support page says it can also read PDFs as well as plain text, word, HTML etc. This is the support page http://www.voicedream.com/?page_id=80

Last edited by Josieb1; 08-31-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Voice Dream is an apple app that can read DRM free epubs back to you. It has a built in voices in various languages or you can buy voices. I've bought a few.

Once the app is installed on your I device if the ePub is in Marvin you can go to it and select Share, then open the ePub in the Voice Dream app. Then Voice Dream can read it to you.

The support page says it can also read PDFs as well as plain text, word, HTML etc. This is the support page http://www.voicedream.com/?page_id=80
Looks pricey but good. I wonder if it can access GoodReader for the PDFs
Old 08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Looks pricey but good. I wonder if it can access GoodReader for the PDFs

Yes it can. I downloaded Goodreader, loaded an ebook PDF and opened Goodreader, from within the PDF you select 'open in' and Voice Dream is an application you can select. The PDF is then copied to Voice Dream and can be read to you.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #26
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Yes it can. I downloaded Goodreader, loaded an ebook PDF and opened Goodreader, from within the PDF you select 'open in' and Voice Dream is an application you can select. The PDF is then copied to Voice Dream and can be read to you.
I tried the Lite version and liked it so I bought it. Very neat app. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #27
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
I ended up using dropbox as well, I second that as the best way to interact between calibre library and marvin.
When I transfer my books to Marvin on my ipad mini, using Dropbox in the past, there was no tag information included.

That's the biggest plus I have about using Marvin from Calibre, is that my books can be sorted into my Collections by the tags.

Can I do this by Dropbox now? I don't want them all in one file on Marvin.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #28
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin reads tags from *inside* the books irrespective from where they came. If the book didn't show tags when imported from Dropbox it is because the EPUB itself didn't have the tags.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #29
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:

Thank you for mentioning this!!!
The lite version gave me a preview and the full version looks fantastic. So many options it will take a bit of learning but works great.

It would seem that many on this forum would be interested in Voice Dream. Is this something that is just new to me or are there many who need to be informed?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #30
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Marvin reads tags from *inside* the books irrespective from where they came. If the book didn't show tags when imported from Dropbox it is because the EPUB itself didn't have the tags.
I put the collection name in the Tag collumn, and either covert the story from epub to epub, or use Polish books to update the metadata.

The tag column only has one tag in it.

When I send the file to Dropbox, then download on Marvin, they always go into "Uncollected" on Marvin.

I've got it set up so that it sorts into collections fine when I connect to Calibre.

If converting isn't setting the tags, what will I need to do to get the tags inserted properly?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote