Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
robiouilliame
robiouilliame began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 623
ogg vorbis support

Hi,

Does someone know if ogg vorbis support is possible on a PB 623 (Touch Lux) ?
I'd like to hear my hard-earned .ogg files on it ! And don't tell me to convert them back to .mp3 files
Regards,
robiouilliame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It's possible, but you'd have to write your own application if you wanted a user interface for the controls. PocketBook devices use the InkView display library for the interface, and just about none of the open source software out there comes with a working GUI for that interface. You might be able to copy over a player (and the necessary libraries) from the debian_lenny_armel distribution, and then edit the /system/config/extensions.cfg file to point to that player for *.ogg files, but it would just run in the background without any visible controls.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
robiouilliame
robiouilliame began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 623
Thanks for the answer.
So, it looks a little more difficult than i thought. I hoped i would just get libraries and codecs for ogg, drop them somewhere on the PB, et voilà !
I'm afraid i can't write an application that supports ogg from scratch !
robiouilliame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Yes, it would be a fair bit of work if you wanted to include "bookmarks" and such. It would probably be easier to just convert your files to mp3 before copying them on the device. I've tried listening to the music on the device, and I'd say that the hardware probably isn't good enough to show the difference between high bitrate ogg and mp3 files.

There are Qt libraries available on the devices, so it may be possible to add a player that uses those for the GUI. However, the Qt libraries aren't part of the last distributed SDK package (which predates the latest devices), so cross-compiling those players for the PocketBook devices would be a bit of a pain, as well. Add in the fact that most players are loaded with bells and whistles (networking, equalizers, special effects, scopes and analyzers,...) and thus have many dependencies to other libraries, and the work level goes up even higher.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote