Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #121
kenzaburo03
kenzaburo03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Black
This plugin really improves the reading experience. Thank you so much.

Spanish and English hyphenation dictionaries from LibreOffice worked well.

I have a question, though: could anybody tell me how to create a custom column to display which books have already been hyphenated? I see in the bottom of the plugin settins window a field named "Column name", which I've named "Hyphenated". Then I've manually created and added a custom column named "Hyphenated, which shows in Calibre after a restart but doesn't display any information automatically. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by kenzaburo03; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
kenzaburo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #122
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@kenzaburo03,
I've just tried this myself, it seems to be working OK.

When you created your column did you have:
Lookup name: hyphenated (NB must be all lowercase)
Column heading: anything you like
Column type: Text, column shown in tag browser

Then in the Hyphenate This plugin Settings option:
Column name: #hyphenated (NB must have the # in front of your custom column name)

Then, when you hyphenate some epubs you should see your custom column populated with the relevant text (as per your Settings).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #123
kenzaburo03

@jackie_w,
Thank you so much! I've followed your instructions and it's worked perfectly.

How did you figure out the proper settings? Does the plugin have a help file or instructions somewhere or is this the usual way to create custom columns that relate to plugins? I did a lot of Google search before asking for help here, so I'd feel kind of dumb if the answer was in front of me to begin with.

Anyway, thanks again!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #124
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You're welcome I've been using calibre for 4 years -- it gets easier to absorb the many features over time. I'm often glad that I'm not trying to take it all in once like a new user has to do. I also read these forums a lot -- goldmines of helpful info.

Welcome to MobileRead.

Edit: Some plugins have a clickable help button, but even if they don't, post #1 should always contain user help info (often under a 'spoiler' button) like this one does.

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #125
kenzaburo03

So the solution actually was in front of me all along. Oh, dear... I'll make sure I read the instructions in the OP from now on. Thanks again!

I've had my Kindle (which is my first eReader) for a month now, so I've got plenty to learn about Calibre. I'm sure reading this forum will make it much easier, there's a lot of great information here.

Last edited by kenzaburo03; 06-12-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #126
kenzaburo03

I've noticed the Spanish hyphenation dictionaries available for LibreOffice work mostly well, but still break some words wrong from time to time. After searching for an alternative, I've found this Spanish hyphenation dictionary based on the TeX hyphenation patterns that seems to work better. I haven't yet found a single hyphenation mistake.

I've found it here: https://github.com/vicamo/b2g_releas...es/hyphenation

It's released under the Mozilla Public License (details of the license inside the zip).
Attached Files
File Type: zip Spanish hyphenation + license.zip (14.2 KB, 862 views)

Last edited by kenzaburo03; 06-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #127
Jukets
Jukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo glo
Hi, I have a problem.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction", line 115, in hyphenate
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction", line 89, in _select_books
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenator", line 165, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenator", line 89, in __init__
LookupError: unknown encoding: <!DOCTYPE html>
I converted .doc file to epub with upup2epub converter, it opens ok. And tried to make haphernates with calibre. This error happens after I press "Hyphernate.." button.
Book and .dic file in attach files.
What should i do?
Attached Files
File Type: epub vert.epub (1.77 MB, 345 views)
File Type: zip hyph_ru.zip (1.72 MB, 323 views)
Jukets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #128
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukets View Post
What should i do?
Get correct hyphenation dictionary. The one you've attached is some HTML file, not a dictionary itself. As dictionary is malformed, hyphenator cannot use it. Of course, error message is a bit misleading, but the final conclusion—dictionary's incorrect.

Удачи.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #129
Jukets
Jukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to beholdJukets is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
Hello,
Get correct hyphenation dictionary.
I found this .dic and .oxt files and got no errors. But there are no any changes with text.
They are wrong too? Maybe you have correct .dics?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	107529   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	107530  
Attached Files
File Type: zip hyph_ru.zip (21.7 KB, 324 views)
File Type: zip dict_ru_RU_hyph-0.6.3.zip (527.6 KB, 319 views)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #130
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukets View Post
But there are no any changes with text.
They are wrong too? Maybe you have correct .dics?
No, this one is good and works like a charm. I have tried your book and it was hyphenated successfully. (See attachment.)

However, you won't see any hyphenation in Calibre, you'd need to check the book's source with Sigil or similar. Next question is if your reader supports soft hyphens. That I cannot guarantee.
Attached Files
File Type: epub vert-hyph.epub (1.78 MB, 379 views)
Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #131
Jukets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
No, this one is good and works like a charm.
I understqnd now. Hyph's book which I did, I opened with Adobe digital editions and its work.
Спасибо за объяснения )
Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #132
kenzaburo03

Today I've noticed the dictionary in Kindle won't pick the hyphenated words (doesn't recognize them as a single word). Is the fault with the plugin or with the Kindle firmware? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #133
goletita
goletita began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Hi, I've just installed this plugin and i'm getting this error when i click Hyphenate:

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.43
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:max() arg is an empty sequence

calibre 0.9.43  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.4
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction", line 115, in hyphenate
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction", line 89, in _select_books
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenator", line 165, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenator", line 109, in __init__
ValueError: max() arg is an empty sequence
What am i missing?
goletita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #134
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goletita View Post
What am i missing?
Hi,

The only idea I have is corrupted or incorrect dictionary. Error comes from other open source library I've used. So it would be best if you could share your dictionary and sample book (if possible).
Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #135
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzaburo03 View Post
Today I've noticed the dictionary in Kindle won't pick the hyphenated words (doesn't recognize them as a single word). Is the fault with the plugin or with the Kindle firmware? Thanks.
This is a feature of Kindle firmware. With hyphenated words it acts a bit awkwardly: if it finds a part of word at hyphen in dictionary, it displays that part. If not, it ends with full word. I have this issue myself, when dictionary is required. Also, Kindle's dictionary handling is not very smart by itself.

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hyphenation