Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #46
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE is the most used software for reading ePub.
I've seen you say that in two different threads today. What is the source for that statement? And does 'software' include e-reader devices, too?
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I've seen you say that in two different threads today. What is the source for that statement? And does 'software' include e-reader devices, too?
Go look at the MR e-ink device matrix, The LCD device matrix.

Until recently, ADE (MRSDK) was the only widespread way of reading Public Library books (DRM).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Yes, it includes Readers as well. Bluefire on iOS is also using ADE and so is Aldiko for Android. Plus, there is ADE for Windows and ADE for OS X. Some do use ADE under Wine via Linux. Also, a lot of the store specific programs/apps use ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #49
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Can you please try a search on words that have a soft-hyphen in them? It did not work with ADE 1.7.2 for Windows.
Fair point. The physical soft hyphens added by the plugin do cause problems with the search-within-book function of the Kobo. It's not something I use very often so I didn't think to test. The soft hyphens added by the Kobo's own software don't appear to cause search problems.

I guess every reader of German, or other language with really long words, would have their own opinion whether hyphenation or search was more important to them.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Fair point. The physical soft hyphens added by the plugin do cause problems with the search-within-book function of the Kobo. It's not something I use very often so I didn't think to test. The soft hyphens added by the Kobo's own software don't appear to cause search problems.

I guess every reader of German, or other language with really long words, would have their own opinion whether hyphenation or search was more important to them.
But it depends if they have a device that handles ePub and displays the hyphens. Most probably won't display the hyphens.
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #51
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Well they won't know until they try, will they?

From what I can see, Sony owners are out of luck (unless the PRS-T2 is different than the T1). Kobo owners have the option if they want it. That's the situation today, who know's next week, next month... There are a lot of different ereaders in the world.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #52
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
@JSWolf. With all my best wishes I will not remove support of EPUB. In fact, I will add support for other formats too. For example, DOCX. I do not see any reason to remove EPUB hyphenation. Why? Some people can use it, some cannot. If they cannot, they won't use it.

I have added one more note to plugin's main description. If people can read, they will note it. Most people cannot read what's written, unfortunately.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #53
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
ADE is the most used software for reading ePub.
Really? I even didn't know it existed and thought that Adobe Digital Editions was a specific Adobe DRM implementation.

Removing ePub support from this plugin because ADE does not render soft hyphens would be like removing a CSS3 editor from an HTML application because some specific browser does not support it well.

I think it would be more constructive to ask Adobe to implement soft hyphens into ADE. BTW I'll install and check it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
But it depends if they have a device that handles ePub and displays the hyphens. Most probably won't display the hyphens.
Soft hyphens are a part of the standard. Implementing or not implementing a specific feature is a eReader design choice (or bug!).

Last edited by pirl8; 03-28-2013 at 05:17 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #54
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried opening a hyphenated epub in Sigil? The only soft hyphens visible, in either code view or wysiyg preview, are the ones which occur where the text is wrapped.
You're right but I swear I could see the HTML entity on the first books I hyphenated (that's why I was suggesting a find&replace).

Maybe those ebooks were badly UTF-8 encoded...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #55
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I swear I could see the HTML entity on the first books I hyphenated (that's why I was suggesting a find&replace).
More details. I've observed, that Calibre in HTML workflows changes entities with actual UTF-8 characters. If you open that in Sigil, it does otherwise: it displays ­, ­ \u00AD as ­.

Note. I have not got into details or don't have deadly proof for that, but that's what I saw, when was experimenting with first versions. My plugin also inserts an UTF-8 character, I don't see any reason to put entity there. Especially as it disapears anyway.

Last edited by SauliusP.; 03-28-2013 at 05:43 PM.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
pirl8
Pest

More from Adobe Digital Editions.

Just downloaded and installed v2.0 for windows. It automatically hyphenates ePubs (plugin not needed).

I've loaded both a non-soft-hyphenated and a soft-hyphenated version of the same book.

They are both displayed but the latter is rendered with a slightly larger character and therefore seems to have more pages.

Searching does not work in the soft-hyphenated version.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Just downloaded and installed v2.0 for windows. It automatically hyphenates ePubs (plugin not needed).

I've loaded both a non-soft-hyphenated and a soft-hyphenated version of the same book.

They are both displayed but the latter is rendered with a slightly larger character and therefore seems to have more pages.

Try installing ADE 1.7.2 and see what happens. That's the previous version that has no hyphenation support.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-28-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #58
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
Try installing ADE 1.7.2 and see what happens. That's the previous version that has no hyphenation support.
I trust what you say. It hadn't hyphenation support in previous versions, but luckily it has it out of the box right now (since 2.0, I guess), and even without the plugin.

It has some issue with soft hyphens, since the search box does not work well. In fact, when copying the text to a text editor, * are still there.

By the way, since hyphenation is done well, the internal hyphenation algorithm ignores them at it should.

Or maybe ­ entities are partially implemented: rendered but not ignored when searching. In this case ADE has either an internal hyphenation algorithm and support for soft hyphens.

A test could be done creating an ad-hoc dummy document with ­ between each character.

Edit: did the test with attached file. ADE 2.0 has an internal hyphenation algorithm and also partially supports soft hyphens (even 2 characters words are split and dashed).
Attached Files
File Type: zip soft hyphens test.zip (4.7 KB, 555 views)

Last edited by pirl8; 03-28-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #59
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
I very much like this plugin. Just to report my (Kindle Keyboard) results .

Quote:
Can you please try a search on words that have a soft-hyphen in them? It did not work with ADE 1.7.2 for Windows.
Quote:
Fair point. The physical soft hyphens added by the plugin do cause problems with the search-within-book function of the Kobo. It's not something I use very often so I didn't think to test. The soft hyphens added by the Kobo's own software don't appear to cause search problems....
Does work on the K3.4 :
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.gif
Views:	707
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	103612

Maybe the Kobo relies on seeing a &shy entity only and wrongly ignores the Unicode for soft hyphens.

Quote:
From what I can see, Sony owners are out of luck... Kobo owners have the option if they want it. That's the situation today, who know's next week, next month... There are a lot of different ereaders in the world.
Quote:
Removing ePub support from this plugin because ADE does not render soft hyphens would be like removing a CSS3 editor from an HTML application because some specific browser does not support it well.

I think it would be more constructive to ask Adobe to implement soft hyphens into ADE. BTW I'll install and check it!

Soft hyphens are a part of the standard. Implementing or not implementing a specific feature is a eReader design choice (or bug!).

Totally. Coding for the standard rather than for a specific reader seems the best approach to me.

Quote:

Does work fine on the K3.4. Even dictionary entries PopUp properly:
Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dict PopUp.gif
Views:	660
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	103611
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #60
pirl8
Pest

@SauliusP.

Your plugin has been eventually indexed. Automatically updated right now. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by pirl8; 03-29-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hyphenation