Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #31
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
fill a custom column after an ebook was hyphenated?
Idea noted.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I'm afraid this is not possible.

The plugin inserts soft hyphens into the HTML code and it's impossible to know how long a line would be before rendering it on the display.

The feature you request should be implemented into the Kindle rendering engine. Actually this plugin exists because Kindle device don't implement hyphenation (yet).
I think you are misunderstanding. What is wanted is no hyphens that would end up with less then 3 letters on either side of the hyphen.

So hy-phen would not be hyphenated because hy is only two letters. It's not about how it falls on the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do soft hyphens work with ADE?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think you are misunderstanding
I think that I've already explained what I was missing.

Quote:
Do soft hyphens work with ADE?
They should work if the book is soft-hyphenated before encryption and if your ebook reader does the rendering. BTW, most of the ebook reader using ePub can hyphenate w/o this method (my guess).

P.S.

Are you the one not wanting this plugin to be implemented because "it would bloat things"?

Last edited by pirl8; 03-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
Has anyone tried this on the Sony (T1 or T2)?
Yes, I tried it on my PRS-T1 and PRS-350. The result was the same on both. The words did split across lines where the soft hyphens were but unfortunately the soft hyphens themselves did not display. Like this:

It's a pity hyphen
ation does not dis
play quite right.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #36
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The words did split across lines where the soft hyphens were but unfortunately the soft hyphens themselves did not display
So it does split words but without inserting a dash...

Can you try to "manually" replace (with Sigil) the ­ sequence with either ­ or ­ and see what happens?

You can also try to modify your stylesheed this way:
Code:
body
{
word-break: hyphenate;
}
Maybe your reader honours this CSS property (neither KT nor KT implement this).

Last edited by pirl8; 03-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, I tried it on my PRS-T1 and PRS-350. The result was the same on both. The words did split across lines where the soft hyphens were but unfortunately the soft hyphens themselves did not display. Like this:

It's a pity hyphen
ation does not dis
play quite right.
Given that ADE does not display the hyphens, I would suggest removing any mention of ePub and actually making it not compatible with ePub.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@pirl8,

On the Sony PRS-T1, I tried adding word-break: hyphenate; to the css body class, but the result was the same as before.

As for manually replacing the &shy entities ... I'm not sure what you're suggesting. The epub doesn't actually contain any html entities only the unicode character equivalents, i.e. soft hyphen looks like (but isn't) a standard hyphen in a text editor.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Given that ADE does not display the hyphens, I would suggest removing any mention of ePub and actually making it not compatible with ePub.
This may be a bit hasty. I have a feeling my Kobo may be displaying them in a sideloaded standard epub.

However, in theory, the Kobo does support hyphenation and so I would expect to see some hyphenation even without the plugin. My initial gut-feel was that with the plugin it looked as if there may be more soft-hyphens per screen than usual. I've no idea how good/bad the Kobo English hyphenation dictionary is.

I need to try the same epub with/without the plugin additions to confirm this.

Edit: Seems like my gut-feel was correct this time. There is definitely more soft hyphenation visible on a Kobo with a standard epub (I don't know about kepubs) when this Hyphenation plugin is used. See attached pics - sorry for wonky camerawork

Left - Kobo displaying the original epub.
Right - Kobo displaying same epub (same font, same font-size, same margins) after using this plugin to add soft hyphens.

My conclusions: Plugin not really suitable for Sony PRSx50/PRS-T1 users but for Kobo users, who read in a language not well-supported by Kobo's own hyphenation dictionaries, this plugin should offer a workable alternative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_normal.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	103572   Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo_plus_plugin.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	103573  

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-27-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added test results and pics
Old 03-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
pirl8
Pest

Quote:
soft hyphen looks like (but isn't) a standard hyphen in a text editor.
Try with Sigil and put the editor in "code" mode. Then you can try a find&replace.

Last edited by pirl8; 03-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #41
pirl8
Pest

@JSWolf

This plugin is definitely ePub compatible.

&Shy; is a stantard HTML entity supported since HTML 3.2 and clearly defined in HTML 4. It's present in the W3G XHTML 1.1 dtd, and being ePub 2 based on XHTML 1.1 it definitely includes ­ (even if you don't like it).

However not every ePub reader implements the rendering of this special character. Some of them do it partially. Other shows it as expected. This is the same as other CSS features which may or may not be implemented in a specific reader.

Last edited by pirl8; 03-27-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So it does split words but without inserting a dash...

Can you try to "manually" replace (with Sigil) the ­ sequence with either ­ or ­ and see what happens?
I did both of these replacements and no go. Same result of the words splitting where they should, but no hyphen showing up.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSWolf

This plugin is definitely ePub compatible.

&Shy; is a stantard HTML entity supported since HTML 3.2 and clearly defined in HTML 4. It's present in the W3G XHTML 1.1 dtd, and being ePub 2 based on XHTML 1.1 it definitely includes ­ (even if you don't like it).

However not every ePub reader implements the rendering of this special character. Some of them do it partially. Other shows it as expected. This is the same as other CSS features which may or may not be implemented in a specific reader.
ADE is the most used software for reading ePub. If you are using a version of ADE that displays hyphens, then you do not need to use the plugin and if the version of ADE being used, this won't work. Most people who do use it will find it doesn't work. Also, searching with ADE (desktop) does not work for any words with a soft hyphen. I'm suggesting removing ePub compatibility because of these issues that will effect more people then not.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #44
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Try with Sigil and put the editor in "code" mode. Then you can try a find&replace.
Have you tried opening a hyphenated epub in Sigil? The only soft hyphens visible, in either code view or wysiyg preview, are the ones which occur where the text is wrapped. I tried to select a CV-visible one for search/replace purposes, but I can't. The hyphenated words also show as spellcheck errors which is going to be problematic.

Anyway, this isn't really the point. Why do you think that changing a perfectly legal unicode char to an html entity should be necessary? It would be very inconvenient to have to do this. Calibre conversions always convert html entities to unicode, don't they? I know that the current version of Sigil silently strips out non-breaking spaces if you don't convert the unicode \xa0 char to the   entity before opening - but that's a whole other story altogether.

In case you haven't seen it, I've added my KoboGlo test results to post #39.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In case you haven't seen it, I've added my KoboGlo test results to post #39.
Can you please try a search on words that have a soft-hyphen in them? It did not work with ADE 1.7.2 for Windows.

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hyphenation