Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Converting to mobi

When I convert old books I've scanned and then converting the epub to mobi, I've been setting the conversion to "old" for the mobi type. There was one book that was 2x the file size when I used the "both" setting, it jumped from an epub size of 365kb to 537kb for "old" mobi format which is normal, but to over 1000kb when I selected "both" as the conversion option.

But now I was wondering if that "old" format type is compatible with newer Kindle readers. I don't want to be restrictive in what readers can view books after I've gone to all the trouble of scanning and editing.

Is setting the mobi type to "old" ok? Or would it be better to set it to "both" regardless of the file size it turns out? Or maybe a different program for the conversion for those odd books that seem to jump oddly in size, it doesn't happen on all books.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But now I was wondering if that "old" format type is compatible with newer Kindle readers. I don't want to be restrictive in what readers can view books after I've gone to all the trouble of scanning and editing.

Is setting the mobi type to "old" ok? Or would it be better to set it to "both" regardless of the file size it turns out? Or maybe a different program for the conversion for those odd books that seem to jump oddly in size, it doesn't happen on all books.
The new Kindles can read MOBI6 files (the 'old' setting) just fine; no problem there. However, KF8 has more potential capability for layout, much like ePUB.

That combined MOBI6/KF8 files (the 'both' setting) are larger is to be expected, as they are essentially both files in a single wrapper.

For KF8-supporting Kindles as primary target, I'd set the format to 'both' and let the bytes fall where they may.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thanks for the info. If I'm understanding it correctly, if it's just an everyday plain vanilla epub with no special fancy formatting, just indents, headers, italics, a few font sizes, etc., than using the 'old' setting for the conversion would be fine and not be a problem on any type of Kindle. And if there's some fancier formatting, arranging text around images, etc., then I could always use 'both'.

I'm big on space saving if results are pretty much equal, even for another 500kb.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote