Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Backlit Nook is available - New Touch soon?

I see there is now a backlit Nook out. An E-Book for Night Owls Costs $40 more. Given the recent price decrease and this new ebook reader feature I'd expect Kobo to be out with one soon.

And I'd very happily buy it. (To add to my WiFi, Touch and Vox collection. ) I like the Vox for reading in darker places but the eInk equivalent will be half the weight.

(Yes, I posted this on another thread but I felt this was interesting enough to start a new thread.)

YouTube Tech Review

Last edited by TonyToews; 05-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Yeah, I would love to have one too
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The new backlit Nook looks interesting, but you have to read some of the negative comments:

- It requires another layer over the screen, reducing the contrast and sharpness slightly. It's enough to bother some people.

- The new screen layer spreads light from the sides evenly across the screen, but it's extremely sensitive to damage - any slight scratch or dent causes a bright defect to bloom on the screen at that spot which totally spoils the usability.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Old News and wrong facts

If you are talking about the Nook with Glowlight... It's NOT backlit, it's lit from the front, hence the extra layer on top of the screen. Look up Flexlight (http://flexlighting.com/) although this has already been discussed a bit here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176331

BTW nice of you to start a new thread about a possible new Kobo coming out...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
A properly lit e-ink device is a neat concept. Don't think I'll be putting down any money for one though. I can't see upgrading my Touch for a few years yet.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Old News and wrong facts

If you are talking about the Nook with Glowlight... It's NOT backlit, it's lit from the front, hence the extra layer on top of the screen...
Well technically it's sidelit, since the light is actually coming from the sides of the screen and the new layer spreads it evenly to reflect from front side of the existing eInk screen. But the familiar term "backlit" probably gives a better sense of what it actually looks like.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Sorry it is frontlit ie the light source emnates from the front of the e-ink layer. Backlit is an entirely different concept.
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote