Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Fonts on the Story HD with Wifi

Anyone know which fonts are "natively" supported by the Story HD? I'd figure it would be Arial and TNR, but I wanted to make sure since the Unicode chart shows some really inconsistent character support across both. For example, the Sans font has most of the Dingbats, while the Serif one doesn't.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The firmware contains these font files, I'm not sure which characters they cover, or which font is used for what precisely.

Code:
AdobeHeitiStd-Regular.otf
AdobeMingStd-Light.otf
AdobeMyungjoStd-Medium.otf
CourierStd-Bold.otf
CourierStd-BoldOblique.otf
CourierStd-Oblique.otf
CourierStd.otf
MinionPro-Bold.otf
MinionPro-BoldIt.otf
MinionPro-It.otf
MinionPro-Regular.otf
MyriadPro-Bold.otf
MyriadPro-BoldIt.otf
MyriadPro-It.otf
MyriadPro-Regular.otf
RyoGothicPlusN-Medium.otf
SymbolStd.otf
iriverSD.ttf
iriverSMJ.ttf
The iriver*.ttf should be what the device is using for its menus, file browsers, etc. the other ones are what the epub viewer uses.

MyriadPro is what was responsible for those little page numbers on the side (which were removed in 1.29 US firmware) - I modified this font in my HideNumbers mod to get rid of them.

And there pretty much ends my knowledge about story hd fonts.

You can use custom fonts with my UserStyle mod (for EPUBs), if the CSS integrated into the EPUB is nice enough to allow such an outside style to apply. Of course you can also embed fonts into the EPUB itself, although it makes for large epub files.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So which one of those is the default sans font, and the default serif one for rendering epubs that don't have embedded fonts?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
So which one of those is the default sans font, and the default serif one for rendering epubs that don't have embedded fonts?
One thing to remember, what the defaults fonts on the HD can display may not be what the default fonts on a different reader can display.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
When frostschutz's list is actually used then it should be Minion (serif) and Myriad (non-serif).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing to remember, what the defaults fonts on the HD can display may not be what the default fonts on a different reader can display.
Sure, but at least it can give me some idea of what works and what doesn't. For example, the sans font on the HD supports the entire dingbat set, while the serif one doesn't?

By the way, some of your comments read like you've been following my posts. Anything I should know about?