Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #1156
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Already love Mouse (see my avatar) and Butters is growing on me....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow! I guess I never viewed your Avatar in the correct scale! That and there's a color mis-match with Mouse. Is your dog really a Tibetan Mastif?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Looks like a Great Pyrenees to me.
Click on each image to view it in a larger format.
Click image for larger version

Name:	jgeiser_Avatar.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	95158Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Pyrenees.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	95159Click image for larger version

Name:	largest-dog-breed-Tibetan-Mastiff.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	95160
Jerry's Avatar --- Great Pyrenees --- Tibetan Mastif

Notice that the Tibetan Mastif (on the far right) carries its tail differently than the other two.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-30-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #1157
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Dead Beat finished. It's a good thing Harry's a Wizard, because he takes way too much abuse.

On to Proven Guilty. May have to wait a while, as I've got a couple other books I really want to finish.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1158
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Sample Chapters Begin - Read chapter 1 of Cold Days,

Quoted from jim-butcher.com

Quote:
Sample Chapters Begin

Oct 31, 2012

It’s October 31st, and you know what that means: Happy Birthday, Harry!

This Halloween, we have no tricks–just treats! Read chapter 1 of Cold Days, right here at Jim-Butcher.com!

The schedule for the next sample chapters is as follows:
11/06: Chapter 2
11/13: Chapter 3
11/20: Chapter 4 and Reddit AMA
11/27: The book’s release!

Preorder Cold Days from your local independent bookstore or through our web store, or get an autographed copy from Dog Eared Books’ virtual signing.
I'm gonna' re-read the next three Dresden Files books (#11, #12 & #13) right away.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-31-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 11-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #1159
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the link to Dog Eared Books Alan. Since I had some money on Paypal witch I don't use (in Holland we use Ideal for web-shopping), I ordered a signed hb of Cold Days from them.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #1160
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Made the plunge and bought Ghost Story this morning

Anyone else's Kindle version have really small text? I've never had a book with such small text before. Even stranger is that since I updated my Kindle the text became really black and now it's kind of grey.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1161
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool really small text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post

Anyone else's Kindle version have really small text? I've never had a book with such small text before. Even stranger is that since I updated my Kindle the text became really black and now it's kind of grey.
I suspect that you downloaded an .azw3 file which is the default for updated (from 3.3 to 3.4 firmware) Kindle Keyboards. And, in my opinion, I think that these newer file versions do not render well on the K3. They all seem to store 4 different fonts in each book file and are a lot larger file because of this. Personally, I dislike this update, but once the device has been updated there appears to be no way to revert to the 3.3 firmware.

You can get a copy of Calibre, install Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins and then add the new book to the Calibre database which would strip the DRM and then it would allow you to convert it to a standard mobi. Which would also get the file pared down to 500 to 700kb from the over 2.5 megs that the .azw3 would probably be.

Don't know what to do about the black vs. gray color thing, but perhaps the azw3 has a color other than black assigned to the book's display font.

Good luck.

Last edited by alansplace; 11-01-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: fix text
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #1162
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect that you downloaded an .azw3 file which is the default for updated (from 3.3 to 3.4 firmware) Kindle Keyboards. And, in my opinion, I think that these newer file versions do not render well on the K3. They all seem to store 4 different fonts in each book file and are a lot larger file because of this. Personally, I dislike this update, but once the device has been updated there appears to be no way to revert to the 3.3 firmware.

You can get a copy of Calibre, install Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins and then add the new book to the Calibre database which would strip the DRM and then it would allow you to convert it to a standard mobi. Which would also get the file pared down to 500 to 700kb from the over 2.5 megs that the .azw3 would probably be.

Don't know what to do about the black vs. gray color thing, but perhaps the azw3 has a color other than black assigned to the book's display font.

Good luck.
Thanks Alan...I don't usually put my DRM stripped books on my Kindle but looks like I will have to now. I was really enjoying this update with the blacker text too. Oh well, a few minutes extra work for a much better reading experience is worth it
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #1163
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files stuff...

Quote:
Thanks Alan...I don't usually put my DRM stripped books on my Kindle but looks like I will have to now. I was really enjoying this update with the blacker text too. Oh well, a few minutes extra work for a much better reading experience is worth it
Those were 'informed guesses', and not at all a certain diagnosis. So let me know if my guess was accurate, ok?

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1164
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Those were 'informed guesses', and not at all a certain diagnosis. So let me know if my guess was accurate, ok?

I will. I'll strip it and convert this weekend with Calibre and see what difference it makes.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #1165
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:

If the book is in the new kf8(azw3) format and has embedded fonts, you can turn that off by going into the font menu. It may not help with the size thought, if that's hard-coded.

Dresden related:
I've been able to borrow an audio version of Summer Knight, so I'm going to try listening, and hopefully finish the book this time. I started the ebook last fall/winter, but it just didn't grab me. I was more irritated than entertained by Harry, and there were other books that I really wanted to read.

I had kinda given up on Dresden, but since I liked Storm Front in audio, and have more patience with audio books anyway, I thought I'd try once more.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 AM   #1166
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Summer Knight is probably my least favorite Dresden book so far. But then again, thats me.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 AM   #1167
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNightshadow View Post
So, you all sucked me in.
I know right!!

I haven't read the series but I definitely will be because of this thread. A lot of books though, 13!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #1168
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Ghost Story

I knew I shouldn't have gotten this book, but not for the reasons I originally thought. I'm such a weenie I've cried twice and I've only read 27% .
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #1169
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
I knew I shouldn't have gotten this book, but not for the reasons I originally thought. I'm such a weenie I've cried twice and I've only read 27% .
I found it quite depressing too. It was my least favourite in the series so far. I'm hoping there are some positives for Harry in Cold Days, but with a title like that, I'm not betting on it!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #1170
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Summer Knight is probably my least favorite Dresden book so far. But then again, thats me.
Me too. You could almost go with the Cliff's Notes on that one. Everything after Summer Knight is at least a little more engaging, and I think I mentioned six or eight times that Dead Beat is my favorite.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy