Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Delphi Classics - Now you can buy direct

In the Reading recommendations forum, there has been some discussion recently regarding a new collection of classics from Delphi Classics. Previously available only at Amazon for a very reasonable $2.99 each for LARGE collections of classic works by a single author, these books are now available directly from Delphi Classics at their new web site. Due to restrictions, some books are not available for US and/or European customers, but they make that very clear on their website.

Instead of the previous US $2.99 for most books, the books are now priced at $1.99 or less. A few of the books are currently priced at $1.49. This weekend only, you can also get an additional 20% off your order by using the code BOOKWORM (which is appropriate, I think). I ordered the complete collection of books I had not already purchased from Amazon.

The website indicates that the books will soon be available in DRM-free EPUB, but currently they're only available in the mobi (Kindle) format, which is also DRM-free.

Delphi Classics is currently compiling a second series of classic titles, but about 24 or so titles are available now. "Titles" may be somewhat misleading, as each volume is a large collection of works from the author, including novels and/or plays, poetry, short stories, letters, etc, and some are heavily illustrated (over 3,000 illustrations in the Mark Twain and W. M. Thackeray collections). There is also usually at least one biography about the author included. Thus, the books from Delphi Classics are quite large, both in page count and file size (over 125Mb for Mark Twain!).

A direct link to the new Delphi Classics website is provided below.

http://delphiclassics.com/

Enjoy!
SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 07-22-2011 at 10:06 AM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Are their books properly proof-read? All too often, these "collections" are just put together from sources such as PG, and are very poor quality.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
These are beautifully edited & well-proofed volumes, with LOTS of photos & ancillary material. See this thread for discussions of editing quality: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142216.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I thought Amazon doesn't like to have ebooks priced lower than what's listed on their site.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't find anywhere on the publisher's site that states that the mobi versions are drm-free. It only says that the epub versions WILL be.
The versions in the Amazon kindle store are not drm-free, judging by the description lending:enabled (not lending:unlimited)
Does somebody have the mobi versions from the publisher's website, and can confirm that they are drm-free?
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
PaulineDesigns
Connoisseur
PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, HS M700, Axim w/uBook
I just purchased and downloaded these books. They downloaded with the .prc extension. I copied two of the files directly from my download folder to an SD card to load on my Libre Pro--one as-is and one with the extension changed to .mobi (couldn't remember if my reader recognized the prc ext. or not). Both books opened fine and are DRM-free (and at a quick glance seem to be well formatted with nice illustrations).

I had trouble downloading one file this morning and contacted them through their website. I heard back within an hour or so and they had fixed the problem.
for good customer service!
PaulineDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #7
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Still waiting on EPUB... Hopefully they won't be too long in coming now. And I really hope these books are as well-formatted as people say that are!
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
PaulineDesigns
Connoisseur
PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.PaulineDesigns once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, HS M700, Axim w/uBook
There are a couple of free downloads there...one is a bible and the other a collection of short stories.
PaulineDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks PaulineDesigns!
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #10
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Misling - I verified with Delphi Classics that the mobi editions are also DRM-free. Initially they were contemplating including DRM, but then realized that the classics belong to everybody so the books are DRM-free both in the current mobi/prc format and in the epub format whenever they may become available.

Overall, the books are well-formatted and relatively error-free. I've seen some random formatting problems in some books which appear to be a carryover from the text format (hard carriage returns at the end of each line, which shows up poorly when the line is of a different length), but so far I've only seen this in direct quotations where the text would be indented. Also, some of the poetry appears to cause a problem. But overall, the books appear much better formatted than most public domain books, especially ones where you only pay a few dollars for dozens of books. Paging through the books, I've enjoyed many of the illustrations I haven't seen elsewhere, not to mention the inclusion of some very minor works not readily available.

For $2 or less, it seems to be a fantastic bargain, even if the books aren't 100% perfect on every page.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
First: The books DO have errors, but they are not errors that distract me to no end.

Second: One of the two titles I purchased does not use em dashes, but rather hyphens.

Third: The value is tremendous.

Four: They have copious illustrations.

Five: The owner may or may not be a patient man when it comes to criticism. I am referring to a back-and-forth conversation between the owner and an individual who purchased a number of titles, and a number of issues were raised.

Six: You be the judge.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-23-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Also, some of the poetry appears to cause a problem.
Someone is paying attention:

Quote:
LOG OF RECENT UPDATES

Complete Works of George Eliot
23rd July
Improved: quality and formatting of the poems. Added: more introductions and contents tables.
The fact that they update/correct their books regularly is probably the most convincing selling point for me.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I guess I'm going to have to wait for the epub versions. There doesn't seem to be any way to download them without a Kindle.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulineDesigns View Post
There are a couple of free downloads there...one is a bible and the other a collection of short stories.
Yeah, I was looking at that one, it's 22 stories but doesn't what..and is Free, but only when you purchase other items....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm a little confused by some of their descriptions. Eg, the Conan Doyle collection specifically claims to contain "ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories" (their capitalisation) but then doesn't list "The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes" in the contents - it's not in the public domain in the US. So does it contain ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories or doesn't it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote