Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
sharp21
sharp21 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Converting entire website to ePub...

Hi all,

I'm brand new to Caliber & need some help getting started!

I have an entire websites contents dowloaded so as to be able to view it offline. It is text based but with a large number of pictures as well.

How would I go about turning all of these various html pages into a single ebook that will link to the appropriate sections via the table of contents?

Thanks
S.
sharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp21 View Post
I have an entire websites contents dowloaded so as to be able to view it offline. It is text based but with a large number of pictures as well.
How would I go about turning all of these various html pages into a single ebook that will link to the appropriate sections via the table of contents?
Thanks
S.
A web site typically has an index.html or equivalent in the root. Drag that file into Calibre and it will build an e-book out of your html content. Calibre will track down all local pages and images and add them. If it works in your browser, it should work in Calibre. As to the TOC, it depends on how your sections are marked. It may work right immediately. Otherwise, ask for guru help here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
sharp21
sharp21 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Fantastic! I didn't think it would be that easy...

I'll try it out & report back

S.
sharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #4
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
A web site typically has an index.html or equivalent in the root. Drag that file into Calibre and it will build an e-book out of your html content.
Tried it and it worked really well. Just needed to convert it to ePub afterwards to put on my reader. ToC worked well too. Great stuff!

@sharp21 : Welcome to the world of calibre and thanks for raising such a useful question.

Last edited by Agama; 02-26-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
adampatch
adampatch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,

I too have tried this for this website:

file:///home/adam/websites/thailand/www.roughguides.com/travel/asia/thailand.html

I downloaded the site using httrack (i use ubuntu 11.04). First of all i tried dragging and dropping into calibre and then when that didn't work i tried using ebbok convert (ebook-convert thailand.html thailand.epub). In both cases, after several hours of processing i finish up with a 1.4mb ebook, with the correct toc (i hadn't really expected that part to work) but each page is blank except for the text

Quote:
<style type=text/css>.tabber{display:none;}</style>
I have tried this with the full version of the website (identical to the link) and with a stripped down version with all the extraneous material removed.

Among the masses of output from ebook-convert we find:
Quote:
Initial parse failed:
Parsing file 'courses-in-chiang-mai.html' as HTML
Forcing courses-in-chiang-mai.html into XHTML namespace
Property: Unknown Property name. [3:2: -moz-border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [4:5: -webkit-border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [5:5: border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [12:2: -moz-border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [13:5: -webkit-border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [14:5: -khtml-border-radius]
Property: Unknown Property name. [15:5: border-radius]
Initial parse failed:
Parsing file u'shadow-right-top-corner.html' as HTML
Forcing shadow-right-top-corner.html into XHTML namespace
Initial parse failed:
Parsing file u'shadow-right.html' as HTML
Forcing shadow-right.html into XHTML namespace
and also

Quote:
Transformed CSS selector #NewContentPages #container #header #main_pic to #newcontentpages #container #header #main_pic
Transformed CSS selector #NewContentPages #container #header #top_nav to #newcontentpages #container #header #top_nav
Property: Invalid value for "CSS Level 2.1" property: hand [1:36: cursor]
I'm afraid i'm a complete novice with html, calibre, ebooks and pretty much everything else so it could be that i'm doing something incredibly stupid but for all my google searching i don't get any closer to success.

Thanks for any help
adampatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert