Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
M A T
M A T doesn't litterM A T doesn't litter

Device: Looking for one
Bookeen, Pocketbook, Bebook or another one?

I have been lurking around for some time now... First, I wanted to buy a Pocketbook IQ. I thought that it was what I wanted because I want to be able to read PDF rather easily. Thing is I think that it wouln't very good for my eyes. Right now, I don't know which one I should buy. There are so many e-book readers out there, which is a good thing and, at the same time, pretty confusing.

My wishlist:
- be able to read PDF rather easily
- a microSD slot
- WiFi (to access my e-mail, for example - I don't plan to go online very often, but I want to be able to check my e-mail if I want to)
- touch screen would be a good thing
- be able to make some annotations would be excellent!
- has to be from a company that is serious, that doesn't make promises that it can't keep

I have narrowed to two-three readers: Bookeen Orizon, Pocketbook Pro 602 and Bebook Club. There are some differences between the first two and the last one, I know, but the first two cost around 210-220 euros while the Bebook costs around 170 euros. The less money I spend the better. It would be great if someone could help me decide.

Thanks .

Last edited by M A T; 03-23-2011 at 05:28 PM.
M A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
All of the readers that you mention are good. Personally, I would not buy from Pocketbook as I am having rather piss poor service from them now, The Bookeen Orizon seems to be a good device. Harry T. was recommending it
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
M A T

Hey Hidari. Thank you for your answer .

I also think that the Bookeen Orizon is a good option. About Pocketbook, I've read some complains about it .

Do you know where I can see what Harry T has to say about the Orizon?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The BeBook is an excellent device. Note, however, that the Club does not have WiFi or touch screen. The BeBook Neo has both, but is more expensive. The BeBook readers have an SD (SDHD) slot, not Micro SD.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M A T View Post
Hey Hidari. Thank you for your answer .

I also think that the Bookeen Orizon is a good option. About Pocketbook, I've read some complains about it .

Do you know where I can see what Harry T has to say about the Orizon?
Not sure, Check the Bookeen section. I just remember that He said it was a very good reader. I have had two Bookeen products. They do not update often, but at least their products work. My Pb360 On/off button broke. The company could not fix it and it did not 'fit' in to their 2 years guarantee. Mine was the only one out of thousands that had this problem. End of story.

So I would go with Bookeen.....
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I enjoyed my Cybook Opus from bookeen. Great form factor, very stylish. Nice to have the font choices so easily available on the device, and to change the font on the fly.

I don't really think any e-reader is great at PDF. PDF is best to read on computers and netbooks. Even on the ipad, they can be a hassle depending on how they were formatted.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The greatest disadvantage of the Bookeen Orizon is probably the Sipix screen, which has a worse contrast than the E Ink screen that is used in the Pocketbook 602 and the BeBook Club/Neo.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, as you want to read pdf.
Yeap, pocketbook IQ, or an other tablet.
Else, the cybook orizon. Tactile screen make reading pdf more confortable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
hidari
MR Drone

As Doreen mentioned no ereader is great at PDF...However, From my personal use I have found Sony readers to be decent at PDFs..Not excellent but at least able to reflow well to the screen...
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
BankerBuster
BankerBuster began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus, Sony Tablet S
Well unless you really really need all that options, and since there will probably be some new models coming this summer, not to mention the tablet frenzy we are bound to see in the coming months, I would suggest that you get yourself something cheap and portable AND a Smartphone.

Seriously, Sony’s PRS-350 has great reviews, a pearl screen, the best touch screen on the eReader market and you can get it quite cheap online (pixmania, etc.). It’s an awesome reader, very portable and quite inexpensive. Apart from the portability, a 5’’ screen will give you a crisper image, since they’re exactly the same resolution as the 6’’ ones.
We’ll probably see some sweet tablets soon, and they would be a whole lot better for web browsing. All of the eBook readers I’ve seen really suck at browsing.
Well, that’s my 0.02€…

As for your shortlist, go for the cheapest one (the Beebook, I think). Something better is bound to be on the market soon anyway.
BankerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
hidari
MR Drone

Have to concur with Bankbuster.... Love my Opus...but the Sony 350 which I have had for a fortnight is an excellent reader.... and worth the money in my opinion.....
Old 03-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Have to concur with Bankbuster.... Love my Opus...but the Sony 350 which I have had for a fortnight is an excellent reader.... and worth the money in my opinion.....
I would get the 650 rather than 350 to read pdf.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A T View Post
I have narrowed to two-three readers: Bookeen Orizon, Pocketbook Pro 602 and Bebook Club. There are some differences between the first two and the last one, I know, but the first two cost around 210-220 euros while the Bebook costs around 170 euros. The less money I spend the better. It would be great if someone could help me decide.

Thanks .
how much in a rush are you? As for the pocketbook models, both the SDK and the new frimware update are promised by mid April: so you could wait and see whether the promises become reality, and make your judgment then. And if you can wait a little longer, Onyx M90 should arrive in the US at the beginning of May, deliveries starting in the thrid week - and if I got it right Dulin's books (a regular contributor on this forum) ships anywhere in the world - as you can see, I am very interested (I am considering getting it for someone if the PB903 does not get the necessary improvements...)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #14
M A T

Well, I hadn't had much time to post a reply. First of all, I would like to thank everybody. Thanks a lot .

I had already read that e-readers are not very good to read PDF, but this makes me pretty confused... Why do they say that they are compatible if it doesn't really work?

I may buy a Pocketbook IQ. I may read epubs and some other formats, but being able to read PDF is pretty important. I didn't want to buy a tablet, but, if it's the best option for PDF, I don't think there is much choice, right?

I don't think it would be very comfortable to read PDF on the Sony PRS 350. Its screen is too little, isn't it?

Once again, thanks everybody .
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
They say they can read pdf files because they can be loaded in most cases. But the formatting of each pdf can be so varied, that's the stumbling block. Some have a lot of images making it worse. You can zoom the pdf, but then you have to keep scrolling back and forth to read it.

And honestly another 1" on your screen does not fix those problems or make them any more comfortable to view than on a 5" screen. It's just the nature of pdf files and I really try to never view them on my reader, they are best viewed and read on my PC. I have a few floor plans of museums I frequent in case I really want to find something, but seldom use even those from my reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
another one, bebook, bookeen, pocketbook