Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
abaran72
abaran72 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile SmartQ v7 vs A81E vs E7001

I am planning to buy Android based Mid for Ebook reading and go through my Video CBTs.
What is the best MID out of the following.
SmartQ v7 vs A81E vs E7001

Appreciate your inputs to clarify
abaran72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
DinahGlez
DinahGlez began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
I just got my SmartQ V7 recently and the Android OS doesn't work properly. There are firmware updates that are supposed to fix the problem, but I've been trying to download the updates from the MID and have not been able to. I am trying to download it from the laptop to the sd card to see if it works.
DinahGlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
marrr
marrr began at the beginning.

I'm also after MID for mainly ebooks and www, I was thinking about Smartq V7 but when I watched some videos I saw it was very slow in android/ linux, especially browsing the web but even typing on virtual keyboard seems sluggish. A81E is much faster when it comes to www and OS performance, but it fails miserably when it comes to video, I'm not sure if it's driver/software or hardware issue, but if you want to view HD videos then V7 is excellent at that. E7001 is Android 1.5 so it's another league... V7 is Android 2.1/ Linux/ WinCE multiboot and A81E is Android 2.2 or WinCE. A81 has GPS but it only works under WinCE
marrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
KingDani
Zealot
KingDani began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000s,Gigabyte U60 UMPC, SmartQ v7,EKEN M001
forget E7001 , V7 has the advantage of multi boot so you can watch everything in ubuntu. it is not laggy in android compartment anymore, thanks to a final 2.1 release which makes it actually working, android is working on it as well.
as for wise e81, it is a piece of tech , but 256mb RAM means a hypothetical android 2.2 would not work so great , but it's your choice in the end.
these guys: http://mp4nation.net/blog/2010/08/in...g-the-midnite/ rebranded it ,and have a good community and top notch service. for under 200USD its a bargain, i got my v7 at around 279 , shipping included.
cheers
KingDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinahGlez View Post
I just got my SmartQ V7 recently and the Android OS doesn't work properly. There are firmware updates that are supposed to fix the problem, but I've been trying to download the updates from the MID and have not been able to. I am trying to download it from the laptop to the sd card to see if it works.
I have had the SmartQ V7 for a few months now, and the latest firmware has transformed it into a really nice device. The Android 2.1 in the latest firmware has become my favorite of the 3 OS that are on it. With the RockPlayer on Android it is possible to play most available video formats, and there are also a good selection of eBook readers for Android as well. Aldiko looks pretty, but FBReader is my favorite.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
marrr

Android 2.2 for A81E is no longer hypothetical, it has GPS working, still no Bluetooth though. There are going to release multiboot firmware, so you will be able to boot into android and win ce.

P.S. It also matters what kind of ebooks you gonna read. If graphic-heavy pdfs (e.g. magazines) then A81E will be much better for this. If simpler books, mostly text and you want external HD video output, then V7.

Last edited by marrr; 08-11-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrr View Post
If graphic-heavy pdfs (e.g. magazines) then A81E will be much better for this. If simpler books, mostly text and you want external HD video output, then V7.
I am curious about what the basis is for that statement?

I was not able to see anything in the A81E specs, that would make that kind of difference? I am not trying to say you are wrong, but just trying to understand.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
marrr

It has faster processor, initially I was convinced to buy SmartQ V7, but after analyzing some youtube videos I found it to be too slow for my needs (I like multi boot though)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrr View Post
It has faster processor, initially I was convinced to buy SmartQ V7, but after analyzing some youtube videos I found it to be too slow for my needs (I like multi boot though)
I guess that you must be referring to the difference between ARM11 vs. Cortex A8 architectures, since both systems use 600MHz processor clocks? Also, Android 2.2 is supposed to be quite a bit faster than Android 2.1, so I am looking forward to Smart Devices getting their port out ASAP.

I have to admit to not being impressed with video players that came with the SmartQ V7 Android 2.1 package, but after installing the RockPlayer and FFMPEG, the video performance is quite nice, IMHO. I have not seen how videos look on the A81E, so I can not compare. At the time I made my purchase I was looking at Witsech and Smart Devices, but Witstech only had WinCE running on their device. Since I did not want to wait for them to get Android on it, my choice was really made for me.

The multi boot is nice, but since SmartQ released their Android 2.1 package, I have not had any use for multi boot. Isn't Witstech releasing a multi boot setup for the A81E real soon now?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
marrr

Yeah, the difference is in processor architecture. As for the multiboot you are right, they promised releasing firmware with this option, but it's gonna be WinCE/Android choice - v7 has this too, but also Linux.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
oliwek
oliwek began at the beginning.

Device: Asus TF101, Nexus S, PRS-T1, eee-pc 701, IBM X41 (ubuntu)
Hello...
could someone (with experience on at aleast one of those devices) comment about this hypothetic advantage of the A81E over the V7 for heavy PDFs? I understand that an ARM 8 should be faster, on android, than the ARM11 on ubuntu, but how is it IRL?
thanks
oliwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
oliwek

bump...
nobody? is there a V7 owner among you? is the Smartq able, using Ubuntu document reader (evince), to handle heavy pdfs? I mean with hundreds of pages, color pictures...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Speaking from the experience of a SmartQ 7 (note not V7) I would do all my pdf reading using Android. Its flows/loads pdfs much better than the Evince software does on my SmartQ (used both), especially for large pdf files.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
oliwek

thank you for your input...
I'm considering a linux device because I am afraid several formats (.djvu, .chm, .cbr/.cbz,...) wouldn't be readable anymore in android. I'm also attached to the free software philosophy.
But for sure, I'll try android for PDFs, especially if the software is ergonomic (on a 7inch netbook, evince is my reader of choice for its fullscreen adaptability, and the many formats it supports).
What is yours in android?
Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
CBZ are avaliable in Android (use ACV) and cbrs do work but its extremely slow. not sure about the other formats as I generally use a Kobo reader for books etc. I'm using Android 2.2 on mine at the moment (got it from a russian SmartQ forum, thanks to google translate).

Can't remember the pdf reader I use and unfortanetly my Smart Q's battery is dead because i didn't shut it down!
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote