Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #18076
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did finish Kindred and I found it to be excellent. I read it for a bookclub I'm unable to go to for that meeting. But it was still well worth reading.
I'm quarter of the way into it and really enjoying it. I have a genuine sense of fear for the protagonist as she finds herself thrust back into the early 1800's and at the mercy of the slave owners. Will post back when I have finished.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #18077
Micah Dawson
Micah Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Nook(Windows 8 App) and Kindle(Windows 8 App)
Seidman by James Erich and then Harp & Sword Chronicles by Myristica
Micah Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #18078
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. One of the best books I've read so far all year. I'm about halfway through.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #18079
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next is a recent purchase. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.
Oooh - tell us what you think of it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #18080
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell.
I just finished this recently. Did you enjoy it? Or is it in progress?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #18081
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I just finished this recently. Did you enjoy it? Or is it in progress?
It is in progress. My favorite David Mitchell is still going to be a toss-up between Cloud Atlas and 1000 Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, I believe, but I am only about 40% done with "Black Swan," so we'll see.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #18082
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I am now reading Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith #5) by John Jackson Miller
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #18083
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Grantville Gazette #50. The latest issue of the on-going short story magazine mostly set in Eric Flint's 1632 universe.
The usual enjoyable soap opera-ish stories and some extras.

Then I read Asimov's SF, January 2014 by Dell Magazine Authors

A slightly above average issue.

And now I'm reading Analog SFF, January 2014 by Dell Magazine Authors.

So far considerably above average, as it includes an interesting AI story that follows on from some previous stories that have appeared in Analog.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #18084
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
It is in progress. My favorite David Mitchell is still going to be a toss-up between Cloud Atlas and 1000 Autumns of Jacob De Zoet, I believe, but I am only about 40% done with "Black Swan," so we'll see.
I read Cloud Atlas. I found it to be a mish-mosh of confusing stories that are linked by a thread the size of a human hair. It was awful and I would hope nobody else wastes their time reading it. it has no cohesion. It has no real plot. It's not really science fiction. It's more like an sf wannabe that fails at it big time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #18085
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
After being tempted by several Kindle freebies from indie authors, and finding all of them so poorly written/edited as to be unreadable, I'm back to the classics. Currently reading The Prisoner of Zenda from the MR library (thanks crutledge).
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #18086
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "The Compleat McAndrew" by Charles Sheffield, originally bought in April 2000. This is a part of my "catch up with my old Baen books" project.

This is a splendid book - one of the best that I've read in a long time. It's a collection of Sheffield's "McAndrew" stories, which were originally published in magazines over the years. Hard SF at its best. The stories feature McAndrew, an impractical but brilliant physicist, and his friend Jeanie Roker, a spaceship pilot. A typical story involves them going off together somewhere - generally in connection with one of McAndrew's experiments - getting into trouble, and finding a solution using a combination of McAndrew's scientific insight and Jeanie's practicality. I only caught one scientific "blooper" in the book - Sheffield was himself a physicist; the book has an appendix which describes the scientific basis of each story in the book.

VERY highly recommended to anyone who enjoys hard SF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #18087
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just finished "The Compleat McAndrew" by Charles Sheffield, originally bought in April 2000. This is a part of my "catch up with my old Baen books" project.

This is a splendid book - one of the best that I've read in a long time. It's a collection of Sheffield's "McAndrew" stories, which were originally published in magazines over the years. Hard SF at its best. The stories feature McAndrew, an impractical but brilliant physicist, and his friend Jeanie Roker, a spaceship pilot. A typical story involves them going off together somewhere - generally in connection with one of McAndrew's experiments - getting into trouble, and finding a solution using a combination of McAndrew's scientific insight and Jeanie's practicality. I only caught one scientific "blooper" in the book - Sheffield was himself a physicist; the book has an appendix which describes the scientific basis of each story in the book.

VERY highly recommended to anyone who enjoys hard SF.
Thank you for the recommendation. I always enjoyed Charles Shefield and must have missed this book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #18088
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks for the recommendation - another one for the TBR (excellent price too ). I remember many years ago reading his collection of stories about Erasmus Darwin (Charles Darwin's grandfather) The Amazing Dr. Darwin
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #18089
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just finished "The Compleat McAndrew" by Charles Sheffield.
I can also recommend this. An excellent Hard SF book, as HarryT says.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #18090
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I read Cloud Atlas. I found it to be a mish-mosh of confusing stories that are linked by a thread the size of a human hair. It was awful and I would hope nobody else wastes their time reading it. it has no cohesion. It has no real plot. It's not really science fiction. It's more like an sf wannabe that fails at it big time.
I read about 50 pages of it and gave up. It couldn't grab my interest.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote