Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 09-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #1
vitalyb
vitalyb began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
Customized buttons

There is an option in iSilo (4b2) to customize the buttons of the palm.

Here is a button layout I find especially comfortable (Zire 71):

1st button: Full screen
2nd button: Auto-scroll
Jog: Hyperlinks
3rd button: Back
4rd button: Default

I should also mention that the third button is assigned in the OS5 to run iSilo.

Such layout allows me not to get the stylus out when I'm coming back to read a document. I can also quickly browse links without using the stylus.

My only gripe is that in the book selecting list of iSilo the jog/keys are inactive. So my only way to select/open a book is by the stylus, shame .
Old 09-18-2003, 12:15 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Wasn't it possible under the old regime? I cannot remember if I had it or not during iSilo 3.whatever.

Anyways...here's my button scheme...

1st button = Home
2nd button = Close Document
D-Pad Left = Full Screen; Up = Up; Down = Down; Right = Right
3rd button = Back
4th button = Hyperlinks

And in the channel list, the Left and Right movements on the D-Pad will select channels to read. Then I click on them and VOILA!

My only gripe is that the clear, plastic shield for my T|T doesn't have holes where the buttons are located, so I always have to remove the shield before enjoying iSilo goodness. (But I do have a Dremel, so that may not be an issue for too long.)

Viva iSilo!
POL9A
Old 09-18-2003, 12:35 PM   #3
vitalyb
vitalyb began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro
Quote:
Originally posted by Pride Of Lions
And in the channel list, the Left and Right movements on the D-Pad will select channels to read. Then I click on them and VOILA!
Ah, good to know, thanks.

Is there also a way to change categories (the category you currently view) without stylus? Since when the books are in different categories I can't use the suggested method =(.

P.S Why did they choose Left/Right, I wonder, seems illogical by all means.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Quote:
Originally posted by vitalyb
Is there also a way to change categories (the category you currently view) without stylus? Since when the books are in different categories I can't use the suggested method =(.
Not that I know of. I just stay in the "All" mode. It's not like in Palm OS5 where you can press and hold the center of the D-Pad and eventually get the catagory list, then scroll up and down from there. As we all know, holding the center of the D-Pad will just exit your application and return you to the launcher (SilverScreen III, in my case. )

Quote:
P.S Why did they choose Left/Right, I wonder, seems illogical by all means.
Well, I don't know. I can't even remember how I stumbled upon the trick. It seems that the up/down scrollings should control a whole page at a time unless a certain channel was selected. Then the up/down movements would move through the list a channel at a time. We should be able to select a channel with a quick tap on the center of the D-Pad, and deselect ourselves from the "single channel" mode with a left tap on the D-Pad. Think "Address Book."

I don't know. Maybe it's some legacy settings from the old days when, I hear, PDA's weren't in color and didn't have expansion slots. I still don't believe that those days ever existed, though, no matter how many times I visit the museum.

Young at heart. Old at back.
POL9A
Old 09-18-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
Quote:
Originally posted by vitalyb
Is there also a way to change categories (the category you currently view) without stylus?
Yup. You can use the freeware app called OKey. A long press on the select button of the D-pad in my T|T highlights the "selectable" or "tapable" areas of the screen. Clicking on the up or down buttons move you to the next selectable/tapable area.

In the case of iSilo, it first highlights the categories. Click the select button again and the drop-down list is activated. Move up and down through the list with the up-down buttons, click (or is it two clicks?) on the category you want to go to, and voila!

Allows better, one-handed navigation through iSilo

Pretty neat app, actually. Once it's activated, you can also click the left-right buttons to access the menu drop-down options.

FWIW, my button scheme is as follows:
Datebook: Close document
Addressbook: Home
D-pad up: Up
D-pad down: down
D-pad left/right: previous page/next page (allows me to navigate multi-page documents quickly)
D-pad select: Bookmarks
To do: Back (useful for reading news sites -- click on an article to read it, click on the back button after reading to get back to your last position in the article index)
Note pad: Autoscroll
Old 02-19-2004, 10:12 PM   #6
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondv
FWIW, my button scheme is as follows:...
D-pad left/right: previous page/next page (allows me to navigate multi-page documents quickly)
Now that you mentioned it, I've since re-configured my "D-Pad Right" click to equal "Next Page."

Makes the reading process that much easier.
Thanks.
POL9A
Old 03-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Vitaly, Thanks for the tip about OKey (great name!). It certainly adds some useful functionality.

I wonder if there's any way of stopping the Select button on the T3 showing the time then switching off? I'd like to be able to push the button once just to switch the T3 on (the power button is too awkward).
Old 03-08-2004, 01:59 AM   #8
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilC
I wonder if there's any way of stopping the Select button on the T3 showing the time then switching off? I'd like to be able to push the button once just to switch the T3 on (the power button is too awkward).
If your "Keylock" preference is turned off in "Prefs", you can just press and hold the "Select" button to turn the T|3 on.

POL9A
Old 03-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
If your "Keylock" preference is turned off in "Prefs", you can just press and hold the "Select" button to turn the T|3 on.
But pressing and holding takes you to the launcher. I just want to go back to the last screen.