Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
lostinlinux
lostinlinux began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
library issues with calibre in ubuntu

guys,
dont know if im pushing my luck here but i have moved all my books on to my synology nas and added a few thousand books in the process (now 4000 books) and mapped the server share via nfs to the original library location.
I have also mapped the same share to my wifes windows machine which reads the books and the database fine but the calibre on my linux (ubuntu 13.04) machine does not seem to accept the library and calibre freezes. i have checked the obvious and the folder is shared with permissions as it was before. Can anyone tell me why calibre wont start on my linux machine or is this one of those times where life in windows is easier because its so lax
To be clear the windows machine has already rebuild a library (although it needs to be tweaked a little) but it seems like this 11mb file is too much or cant be read

any help would be appreciated
lostinlinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're pushing your luck.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
See my previous answer in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Using the same calibre library alternating under Windows and Linux will lead to trouble. Most likely that is what you have discovered. Even using calibre on a networked filesystem may lead to trouble, and is actively discouraged by the developer. Don't risk it without a good backup system and heavy testing.

Cut your losses and try to salvage what you can from the library as soon as possible.

That said, I have my calibre library on a Synology NAS, and mount using NFS from my Ubuntu desktop, and it works fine. But I don't use it from any other computer or operating system.

Check under related tools. I belive some here use the webbserver on their Synology NAS to share their calibre library using different tools, like COPS or Calibre2opds.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you choose to ignore this advice,
please don't return for recovery help.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
lostinlinux
lostinlinux began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Thanks Kovid, i will review the calibre server option
lostinlinux is offline   Reply With Quote