Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Why I Still Need Hard Copy Books

I was called for jury duty starting today. The summons said no cell phones permitted. As I am going through security the deputy ask me what is in my hand. I tell her it is my book. She informs me that no electronic devices period are allowed in the courtroom. Except for Lawyers, who are allowed to have them and cell phones.
I had to take the book back to my vehicle. Now I am freaking out and wondering what I am going to do while waiting for the selection process to begin.
The judge did excuse me from serving though. No not because of my electronic book.
I was excused since I am not allowed to sit for long periods of time due to my Prostate Cancer Treatment. And yes I did have a Doctor's Excuse. I did let the Judge know that I would like to be called for Jury Duty after I have recovered from my treatments.
Next time I will make sure to have at least two paperback books with me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep, they won't let you bring in anything that could potentially be used to look up information regarding the case.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I can't believe they did that to you! (yes I believe you, I just can't believe the horrible rules of your jury people!) I was just called for jury duty here (Charlotte, NC) about a month ago. We can take in cell phones,(talk on them while waiting) bring laptops (they provide wi-fi) bring ebook readers (they do check them as you come in), anything you want. They provide a kitchenette for us, vending machines, play us a movie or two (depending on how long we wait), and a game room. The only time we can't use the electronics, and they don't want you to read regular books either, is after we have gone into the courtroom for weeding out. The guy settled right before we were brought in so we were in there a grand total of 30 minutes while the judge gave out the sentence.
Wow, guess I shouldn't complain in two years when I'm called again! At least our guys know what ebook readers are.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I was recently excused for jury duty for an unrelated medical issue. The clerk did tell me that if I had been approved, I would be exempted regarding the edevice due to my vision issues. The device would have to be examined, certain programs may be removed and wireless made inoperable. So, go ahead and call and ask what you can use. I'm sure it varies from place to place. You might also ask if you could bring an ipod to listen to an audiobook since Ipods can't access online. On an ebook, they make wireless inoperable by activating the parental controls.

When my sister went for jury duty (different county), they said that you can use edevices until you are actually called into a case. At that point, they would lock up your edevice until you left for the day or the case completed.

Knitters and crocheters have the same issues. Some places let you bring knitting or crocheting while you wait to see if you will be called for a case. Others do not.

edited to add: the types of programs that would potentially be removed would be things such as encyclopedias and other information databases potentially involved in expected cases. Dictionary was fine.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The actual words were "No Electronic Devices At All". I thought about pointing out that any battery powered watch is an electronic device, but I did not want to have to walk back to my vehicle to remove my watch.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The actual words were "No Electronic Devices At All". I thought about pointing out that any battery powered watch is an electronic device, but I did not want to have to walk back to my vehicle to remove my watch.
Apache
All those poor people with pacemakers. Guess they had a surgery suite set up for them?
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
It is not necessarily a problem in every location though. I had jury duty earlier this year, and because they had specifically prohibited cell phones, I thought they might not allow e-readers and therefore brought a paperback with me only to discover the man sitting next to me was happily reading away on his Sony 350. The next day I was called up, I too, had my 350 in hand.

I can see the point though with most readers these days having WiFi available. I'm just going to hope that they continue to only specify cell phones in my town and not branch out to all electronic devices.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Make them all pay for this insolence. Declare whoever you are doing jury for, guilty, give him the chair, THE CHAIR !
Then go home and be re-united with your beloved reader.
That's what I would do.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
All those poor people with pacemakers. Guess they had a surgery suite set up for them?
S
What about insulin pumps and other medical devices? That could potentially exclude many jurors.

Here in MA, I served on a jury earlier this year--turned out to be a 2 week trial and I received some nice medical lessons, free of charge. They let me bring a phone, Kindle, and even a long umbrella through security with no problem at all. As I recall, most of the jurors had umbrellas and electronic devices. Funny how states differ, and how electronic devices can be seen as threats to the trial system.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Yep, they won't let you bring in anything that could potentially be used to look up information regarding the case.
That makes no sense for trials lasting more than one day. Most juries aren't recused here. Sounds like misguided thinking to me. Either jurors and the juror system can be trusted, or it cannot.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
What kind of a rule is that?

I had jury duty in March in NYC. They allow everything that you can't have there. I had my ipad, kindle and cell phone. Most people there had laptops.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Kind of weird. My roommate is scheduled for jury duty with local county and was told he could bring a laptop.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
Most juries aren't recused here.
I think you mean "sequestered."
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Kind of weird. My roommate is scheduled for jury duty with local county and was told he could bring a laptop.
I went to jury duty a couple of months ago. The court provided free wifi for laptops (and book readers). Not exactly fast, but quite functional. Of course, this is one of the most wired counties in the US, and they'd have a hell of a time getting jurors at all (and probably lawsuits from bored rich people) if they didn't allow computers in the jury room.

Wouldn't want to be the one to test a judge's tolerance of abusing the privilige, though.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Last time I was called about five years ago, the waiting room was equipped with wi-fi and several computer stations for our use, plus lots of people had laptops. I think we were asked not to use cell phones as a matter of courtesy to the other people.

I was never called into the courtroom itself for voir dire, so I don't know if there were any restrictions at that point.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote