Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How much do you pay to watch TV?

In the UK, anyone wanting to watch broadcast TV programs in real time must pay a licensing fee to the BBC. This is currently £145.50 ($228), or just over £12 ($19) per month.

This is a compulsory fee if you watch any live TV, not just BBC programmes.

For watching broadcast Digital Terrestrial TV, this is the only fee you must pay to get dozens of channels, both BBC output (without commercial advertising) and the advertising-supported channels.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Floodlit World
Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Floodlit World ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I live in the UK, but I don't pay anything for the licence. I pay £5.99 a month for Netflix, then I just watch anything else after it's broadcast on the catch-up services (which you're legally allowed to do at present).
Floodlit World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Here in Canada I pay 79$ a month for about a hundred channels over satellite of which only thirty are worth listening to. BBC alone costs 4.99$ a month and Setanta 14.99$. But I do love Britih foot enough to pay for that. Can't wait for the season's kickoff next week...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
$0. I use an antenna and get free over the air TV. For what I watch, the 6 channels I get are enough - just watch some news and that's about it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't pay anything. I have DVB. The downside is that in my country there are way too few channels on DVB but it's better than nothing. Plus all those mindless reality TV shows and trash TV of all kinds, I don't really miss cable.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I (USA) have a very basic TV package and it is $65 (about £42) a month (going up in price again, soon). That doesn't include movie channels or anything else. If I wanted to use an antenna, I would be lucky to get 3 or 4 local channels, during nice weather (and have to have a permit to set it up). Most people I know have satellite or extra package cable and pay over $100 a month to include the sport and movie channels.

I have a feeling my low rate will not last much longer as I still use an analog connection and have resisted getting switched to the higher digital fee (and the $5 per box fee for each TV). I am slowly loosing channels that are carried on analog.

I live in a town right in the middle between my parents (10 miles south) and one brother (15 miles east) and we each have to have different services as not all services (including internet) are available in each area. My other brother is less than a mile away and neither of us can get the services the other one has. Very frustrating when you are trying to get the best deal or even trying to bundle services.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I (USA) have a very basic TV package and it is $65 (about £42) a month
Wow. That's expensive. I can't check my cable prices just now (the web site's down for maintenance), but the US satellite provider (Sky) would provide 90 entertainment channels and 12 movie channels for £42.50 per month!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Vala
Enthusiast
Vala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notesVala can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1
For years I had Dish and it cost $65 a month for the basic package plus local TV. There was no movies and nothing worth watching.

Within the past 5 months, we went to streaming. We live 60 miles (at least) from any major city in all directions. We purchased a very affordable HD TV antenna and pick up 150 miles and get 26 free channels.

Then we bought a Roku and pay $7.99 a month for Netflix and $7.99 a month for Hulu Plus.

We are totally enjoying our set up at $15.98 a month now.
Vala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Just the electricity to run the TV, etc. I have an antenna (and a signal amp), and mostly I just watch the news. I get the major networks (out of Philadelphia), three PBS stations, and some "bonus" digital channels that play "classic" reruns. We have Hulu and Netflix for delayed cable shows, nearly current movies, etc.

Our youngest just left for college, and I really didn't want them to have the distraction of cable TV.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
When we switched from analog to digital I realized that I hadn't was attached any TV for a while so I cancelled my license (similar t to the UK setup for BBC), so now I pay zero but also watch zero.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
$7.99 a month for Netflix, and we watch everything else on-line. Cable is super-expensive here. I used to get 4 channels with an antenna for free, but in my new apartment, we only get one and they have everything on-line so it's not worth it. My parents have cable and they are a 5-minute drive away, so during the winter while they are in Florida, we have an open invitation to go use theirs if we want to.

The only thing my boyfriend really misses is the live baseball. He has hinted that he wants an MLB.com subscription for his birthday next year.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm not a television watcher. I just have an antenna which gets me 19 over the air channels, but it is rare that I want to watch anything.

If I could buy cable channels a la carte for a few dollars a month I probably would, but that's not available in the US. There's a bit of a controversy about that, and from time to time politicians talk about requiring cable companies to offer channels a la carte.

My internet service just went up from $29.99 to $38.99. That's enough for me.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
$0. I use an antenna and get free over the air TV. For what I watch, the 6 channels I get are enough - just watch some news and that's about it.
This. I only watch what I get over the air, but that's actually a dozen+ channels here in the denver metro area, but only 4-5 that I watch. I have a laptop DVR to record what it can -- news, science, history, documentary (we actually have 2 PBS stations here!) and along with Amazon Video, and internet video (Top Documentary films!) that's more than enough for me!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
When we switched from analog to digital I realized that I hadn't was attached any TV for a while so I cancelled my license (similar t to the UK setup for BBC), so now I pay zero but also watch zero.
Ah, so infinite value!

Or is that indeterminite value? It's been a while since I did any fancy math.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Ah, so infinite value!

Or is that indeterminite value? It's been a while since I did any fancy math.
Right now, yes. But there was a very real negative value before. Unscripted shows, or reality TV or whatever it is called today, you know Project Runway, Big Brother, Robinson (called Survivor in North America I believe), always left me with a sense that I had just wasted valuable time that could have been used more productively. I wasn't even entertained. These inane programs were prolific like rabbits in spring, so I just decided I could do without it.

I don't even have any idea what is happening at the Olympcis right now, and honestly, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote