Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Talking Having your cake and eating it too? KSO menu with no ads/banners possible?

Is it possible to keep the special offers menu while disabling ad savers and banners? This would also keep receiving the ads and keep the network connection as it would normally be.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This strikes me as a pretty dishonest thing to want to do. If you don't want to see the ads, I'd suggest the you return your Kindle with Special Offers, and buy one without ads for $25 more. Amazon are paying you $25 to see the ads; you seem not to want to keep to your side of the deal?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

that's a lot of assumptions you have there.
a) I have a non-ad kindle
b) I want to opt in for ads that I did not even sign a contract for
and
c) I think it's a fairly subjective topic. It might be dishonest from a contractual point of view but as I would be actually looking at the ads at my pleasure, Amazon still gets it's pay and the companies who benefit from advertising do as well as I do buy their advertisement if I feel like it. I might be even less annoyed at them as I don't have to see them all day on a banner.

In all, the modification does not effect anyone but myself, unlike 3g tethering, or complete ad dismissal.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can't get special offers on a non-KSO Kindle; they're linked to the Kindle's serial number.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
pinktank
Enthusiast

There is a hack that allows it, you can see it on the forums. Regardless, I would like to know, I can purchase another one / trade with a friend.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
As HarryT said, the ads is tied to your serial number (or more specifically, your unique certificate). If your serial number is not marked on amazons server as "ad supported", you will not get pushed ads and even if you copy the ads from another device, you can't request any coupon codes. So assuming you have an ad supported kindle, can you remove the banners and keep the offers? In short, no. However if you want to decompile and deobfuscate some java code, recompile and resign it, anything's possible.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
pinktank
Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification, I'll stick to my ad-free then, life has enough billboards as it is.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
thekess
thekess began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Say What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This strikes me as a pretty dishonest thing to want to do. If you don't want to see the ads, I'd suggest the you return your Kindle with Special Offers, and buy one without ads for $25 more. Amazon are paying you $25 to see the ads; you seem not to want to keep to your side of the deal?
Are we just consumer whores? So Amazon discounts for ads...the ingenuity to try and remove it is all-american, and to be commended, not scolded as dishonest. Amazon is not such an honest corporate monster, at least regarding sales tax here in CA. They cheat however they can, using their power for economic gain. Let these individuals use their brains for the same purpose.
thekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ads, hack, kso