Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
N800/N810 question

A couple days ago, a new upgrade for OS2008 was announced. It enables Bluetooth PAN (Personal area network). PAN, for those not familiar with the term, is an IP network over Bluetooth with a limit of one server and eight clients.

I already know how to setup a PAN client; I've done it on my Nokia 770. I want to know if the new upgrade will do the server side as well. I cannot test it myself because my 770 can't be upgraded to OS2008.

Can someone test this for me?
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/maemo-pan
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #2
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Nate:

I missed that part of the update...neat. I wonder if this is to get around the anti-teathering restrictions on most phone plans? That would be ironic if Nokia did this considering how many phones the make... It just warms my heart when technology gets ahead of the corporate stuff... }:~)

I wish I could test it for you but I actually only own two things that have BT. My N800 & the iGo keyboard. Heck, I don't even use a cell anymore now that I have EVDO & Skype.

In case you missed it here is a thread over on iTT:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...light=pan+n800

And this one is a bit more detailed:

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...light=pan+n800

Haven't the time to read it through but I am willing to bet it's been tested by someone there.

Last edited by brecklundin; 03-01-2008 at 08:05 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for pointing me at those threads. I posted my question in the first one.

I don't go to iTT anymore; there are some unbelievably obnoxious people there.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

the linux crowd is certainly different that's for sure.

One disapointment I have with the NIT's is the just plain poor doco. Have you found any decent Linux/Debian references in ebook format? I have found a few web sites that I could d/l and make an ebook from but geeze, I'd rather pay extra for one not in need to conversion. But no PDF's...they look awful to my burnt out eyeballs...heheh..

I haven't been on a Unix box for a LOOOOONG time and even then I only learned enough to keep the network running. All forgotten of course...I was proud in that I remember "halt" works to shut the thing down from the command line...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Documentation? This is Linux. If you want documentation, go read the source code.

The CS department at my university is in love with Linux. They think all CS majors should use it. They don't want to teach it or support it; they just expect students to use it. It's required now in four classes. And yet no one can figure out why the average for those classes is a low C.

I gave up on using Linux on my laptop because I see the laptop as a tool to be used on projects. Using Linux would turn the laptop into a project itself. Also, I have almost 18 years of experience with Windows (I started on DOS4).
Old 03-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned

I can beat your Dos4.x with CPM then DOS 2.something and then QNX....hehehehe...

I did have one of those "...wow, I cudda hada V8..." moments shortly after my post...I just went to http://www.debian.org and, well, there are all manner of docs. At least someone tired...maybe they make sense, who knows.

One of my pet peeves about all the -nix/-nux environments is their lack of consistent standards as a rule. Likely because of exactly what you describe in college these days. It's the "...here is an OS...we will have a test tomorrow...the final is in two months...see you in two months....good luck..." but that is the way Unix has always been.

Probably like you I settled on Windows from V3.xx forward. I tried Windows 2.x but it, well it sucked big time. I am slow to move to new versions because, well, it's Window as is yesterday's OS next week... But it removes the issue of the platform becoming the task vs. the real reason someone needs a computer. It might have it's issues but then again so does Linux until everything gets setup just ever so...

Still, I am semi-retired now and it will be fun to drive myself insane over the next year. So, I am taking the time to learn the FS and commands...of course, well, you already get it...it's Linux so nothing is as it seems...heh...or maybe should be? But, it's gonna be fun I think. And cheaper than a new fishing boat which is a hole in the water you throw money in...instead I have a hole in my desktop to toss money into now...

People can complain all we want about MS & Apple with their business models. But they gave us one thing...stability within their respective environments. Love or hate 'em the systems do work very well. Apple even managed to tame Unix which was only possible because of the closed hardware aspect they had...still have?? Not sure since the move to an Intel platform.

BTW, I still do not get it why the schools push Linux...sure it's free but, well, maybe I get it...no games for the most part...then again I imagine dorms have a high saturation level for video game players. And then again maybe even the schools are fed up with the games both MS & Apple play. But still requiring any particular OS for a coding class is just wrong. It polarizes students. Let students use whatever they already own or know how to use.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
One of my pet peeves about all the -nix/-nux environments is their lack of consistent standards as a rule. Likely because of exactly what you describe in college these days. It's the "...here is an OS...we will have a test tomorrow...the final is in two months...see you in two months....good luck..." but that is the way Unix has always been.
I do not agree that there is a lack of standard that is worse than anywhere else. There are some Unix dialects but everything works approximately the same and when you know the basic you can fast find out what you need.

Quote:
People can complain all we want about MS & Apple with their business models. But they gave us one thing...stability within their respective environments. Love or hate 'em the systems do work very well. Apple even managed to tame Unix which was only possible because of the closed hardware aspect they had...still have?? Not sure since the move to an Intel platform.
If the environement includes communication with other computers (that might not be Windows computers) then MS has not a good track record. And from friends trying to use Vista I hear a lot of complaints...

Quote:
BTW, I still do not get it why the schools push Linux...sure it's free but, well, maybe I get it...no games for the most part...then again I imagine dorms have a high saturation level for video game players. And then again maybe even the schools are fed up with the games both MS & Apple play. But still requiring any particular OS for a coding class is just wrong. It polarizes students. Let students use whatever they already own or know how to use.
There is very good reason. A school should make students test different thing and one thing they should have used is for exemple a Unix system. They should also have used alternatives to Word like Emacs+LaTeX and so on.

There is also a skill to be able to code in whatever OS you have. There is also practical reasons. You choose the platform that will no cost so much money in term of teacher time and license money.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote