Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
100,000 temp files ???

running a defrag with calibre idling in system tray.

I note a lot of temp files being defraged & check app data .. local...temp.

I see 8 x calibre folders - 4 with 7.40 in the name, 4 with 7.42.

each of the 7.42.... folders contains 25,000 files -

I have done several conversions today but 25000 files ??? - should the program not clean up after itself ?

e.g. - paste from properties - 25,427 Files, 12 Folders
what is all that about ?
I force calibre to close completely as next test, but there is still one folder with 25000+ files in it!
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As long as calibre closes cleanly, temporary files used by that instance of calibre are removed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As long as calibre closes cleanly, temporary files used by that instance of calibre are removed.
i guess I never normally close it - I have the PC sleep, not shut-down & I have calibre "close" to system tray.

so they build up over time, I close it only to do program updates.

It's no big deal - I probably have other things that wipe all temp files over a certain age which get run regularly.

but wiping temp files after a conversion ends rather than only when program is closed may be better housekeeping ?

and clearing old temp folders when program first starts would take care of stuff left by previous crashes or forces shutdowns.

PS nitpicking even more! - I think it removes files but leaves temp empty folders

I did zap calibre with task manager a couple of times in the last few days, when I overloaded it & sigil, playing with pdf conversions after 7.42 release, so that would have boosted the number of stray temp files I guess. there was I think 156MB of calibre temp file space, and 4 x 25,000 individual files in local temp folders

Last edited by cybmole; 01-23-2011 at 04:11 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
carmenchu
Groupie
carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carmenchu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Win7,Win10,Lubuntu,smartphone
I have noticed the same problem with empty folders in ...\user...\temp directory. UNTIDY! Had to tell external program to wipe them.
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I always close my Calibre nicely. And yet it never cleans those temp folders...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
In case it sheds any light on the situation, I just opened calibre and closed it again immediately.

These zero-length files were not deleted. I then rebooted the PC, the files were still there.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 in case it's relevant.

Spoiler:
Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\JackieS\Local Settings\Temp\
 =====================================================
 cal3B.tmp 0 KB 24/01/2011 01:32:40 PM
 cal3C.tmp 0 KB 24/01/2011 01:32:40 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\JackieS\Local Settings\Temp\calibre_0.7.42_tmp_6exsqk
 ======================================================
 calibre_0.7.42_gpdjms_worker_redirect.log 0 KB 24/01/2011 01:32:46 PM
 calibre_0.7.42_lctgbf_worker_redirect.log 0 KB 24/01/2011 01:32:44 PM
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I start up calibre from a batch file and never have to worry about old temp files or folders.

Spoiler:

Code:
@echo OFF
REM Set calibre temp files. Allows for antivirus exemption
REM of the temp files increasing the speed of calibre.
REM Delete temp directory on startup to remove all clutter 
REM from previous sessions of calibre.

REM Remove existing Calibre temp directory

cd c:\
rmdir /s /q c:\Calibre_temp

REM Create new temp directory for this session.

cd c:\
mkdir Calibre_temp

REM Specify the location of the Calibre temp files
REM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SET CALIBRE_TEMP_DIR=C:\Calibre_temp
SET TMP=C:\Calibre_temp

REM		CalibreRun.bat
REM		~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
REM
REM Batch File to start a Calibre configuration on Windows
REM giving explicit control of the location of:

REM  - Calibre Config Files

REM Specify the location of the Calibre Config files

SET CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY=C:\My Dropbox\CalibreConfig

REM Location of calibre program files

C:
CD \Program Files\Calibre2

REM Display settings that will be used

echo CONFIG=%CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY%

REM  The following gives a chance to check the settings before
REM  starting Calibre.  It can be commented out if not wanted.

echo "Press CTRL-C if you do not want to continue"
pause

REM Start up the calibre program.
REM

start calibre.exe --start-in-tray
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
My way of handling temp files is to get rid of them daily. I'm aided in this by the fact that I don't run calibre round-the-clock in the systray. I normally update and add whatever books on Saturdays while giving my Kindle a charge-up at the same time. For me, I do a backup every day using Drive Snapshot. Drive Snapshot will empty the recycle bin. So, I use EmptyTempFolders and CCleaner to take a double-pass at getting rid of temp files that might be scattered about. I have, at last count, seven folders on C: alone called Temp. ETF2 does a good job of hacking away at those. CCleaner is a good fail-safe for ETF2 and gets at a few other places ETF2 isn't set up for.

So, my daily backup batch file, run at the ungawdly hour of 8:01am, has these lines at the beginning:

Code:
cd \apps\utils\EmptyTempFolders
emptemp2.exe /all
cd \apps\utils\CCleaner
CCleaner.exe /auto
Obviously, Dwanthy's version is really quite good, requiring no third-party software. But it IS Calibre-centric. My version, with the freely available third-party freeware, is more of a blunderbus approach, which might clean out more stuff, while giving up on getting stuff back out of the recycle bin if you discover the deletion a day late. (Which is why I keep 31 days of complete backups on NAS's and have a Carbonite Pro account).

GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote