Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #16
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It can be hard to restrain yourself when faced with comments you just can't believe are coming out of a supposedly intelligent person's mouth! You get this intense desire to set the record straight. Just yesterday I read something (I won't say what or where) that misinterpreted a book quote so badly, that I was almost desperate to reply! ("Aarrgh... don't do it... click away... must... resist!...")
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #17
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
I think that for me a lot of the urge to educate comes from the pains I've endured in the last 20+ years in the IT industry for having let Microsoft run rampant and watching wave after wave of people run over horrible terrain, crying and screaming all the while, wondering why they're in such agony (and to be fair though, Bill Gates is one seriously smart business man).

I just don't want to see it happen all over again.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Anybody who spends regular time here over a period soon learns that some threads are off topic and not worth opening, other, once-valuable, threads wear thin or become repetitive (or repeated with similar new threads opening) and aren't worth a re-visit.

They become like known pot holes on the road to work. You just steer around 'em. Easy.

On the other hand, there are newcomers -- several noobies register everry day, and gosh knows how many casual lurkers pop by. To many of these folks, such threads are just what they were looking for and appear fresh.

Don't slap them down, just move on to the next thread in the list. They're hardly forced on us as compulsory reading. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I think that for me a lot of the urge to educate comes from the pains I've endured in the last 20+ years in the IT industry for having let Microsoft run rampant and watching wave after wave of people run over horrible terrain, crying and screaming all the while, wondering why they're in such agony (and to be fair though, Bill Gates is one seriously smart business man).
Well, though I agree, I wouldn't dump it all on Bill Gates' lap... he was just taking advantage of what was a very dysfunctional system in the first place. Although that has a lot of parallels to those pirating ebooks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
On the other hand, there are newcomers -- several noobies register everry day, and gosh knows how many casual lurkers pop by. To many of these folks, such threads are just what they were looking for and appear fresh.
See, that's the thing: Newbies, asking those age-old questions, deserve answers, and I want them to understand that some of us don't create stories just for kicks and grins. But then the familiar faces show up, arguments ensue, and... there you are, before you know it, having that same discussion again, and you can't quite come up with that Absolute Closer that no one can contest, you don't want to walk away and give the impression that the other argument won, you don't want to just cuss out the other person and run, thereby conceding your position by default...

And the newbies come away thinking: "Man, what a bunch of loose screws around here!"

I think the thing is to say, "DRM... no DRM... piracy... no piracy... the issue at hand is to respect an author's desire to be able to make money from his work."

And then run away. Okay, you can walk... but don't dawdle.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-21-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #20
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
Well, though I agree, I wouldn't dump it all on Bill Gates' lap... he was just taking advantage of what was a very dysfunctional system in the first place. Although that has a lot of parallels to those pirating ebooks...
Oh, believe me, I don't "blame" Microsoft or Bill - I think he was brilliant and did take advantage of everything he could and 98% of the computer using consumers got dragged along for the ride by the mass of the tidal wave of other people. That said, it doesn't stop me championing against another era of undocumented lock-in
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I read something (I won't say what or where) that misinterpreted a book quote so badly, that I was almost desperate to reply! ("Aarrgh... don't do it... click away... must... resist!...")
Steve, I already apologized for comparing The Onuissance Cell's Harlequin to Harlan Ellison's "Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman".
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Steve, I already apologized for comparing The Onuissance Cell's Harlequin to Harlan Ellison's "Repent, Harlequin!' Said the Ticktockman".
Ha! No, it wasn't that! Besides, my Harlequin was more of a Joker/Max Headroom amalgamation.

(Hokay, who else wants to apologize for something? Step right up!)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
DRM ? .... mmmm ....

we bought some roses this year; on each of them was a label: "no unauthorized copying allowed of these plants"
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #24
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
DRM ? .... mmmm ....

we bought some roses this year; on each of them was a label: "no unauthorized copying allowed of these plants"
Some people would take that as a challenge.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
We LIKE rising to the challenge. It helps release the inner rebel in us....like the whole 95 pages of whether to turn off electronic devices on aircraft....(ok slight exageration)
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm, piracy