Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Jnwigfall75
Jnwigfall75 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Returned my pw4..Are there any e-readers with really good contrast and crisp text?

I just purchased my first e-reader and it was the new paperwhite 4. I couldnt stabd it. Some ppl may not see it but the text looks a little washed. And it distracted me. Making it bolder and larger just made more bolder and larger washed text to me. I went to the store and saw the nook glowlight 3 and was blown away.
It said enhanced contrast and they actualy meant that. I was going to buy it but ppl say nooks are no good. Slow, and mahbe out of buissness soon. Plus you cant get alot of books. So i was thinking about the Kobo clara HD. Anyone know how the contrast is on it. Nice dark crisp text? If not ehat has anything similar to the glowlight?
Jnwigfall75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I think the Paperwhite 4 may be a little more "faded" then the Paperwhite 3 because it has the extra layer between you and the screen (that's why it has a flush bezel). Paperwhite 3s are still available new, I think they're going to be on sale for $80 on the 22nd. And you can add darker fonts to Kindles (I like Constantia and DejaVu Serif E-Book).

But, if you like the Nook Glowlight 3's screen, I would definitely look into buying it. The issues have been more with organizing books in shelves than they have been in the actual reading of eBooks. You can use ePubs from any source, so there's plenty of books available (even if Barnes & Noble dies and goes away). As it stands right now, you can buy a LOT of books directly from B&N (4.5 million titles) if you want -- and download them directly to the Glowlight.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I like my Kobo Clara HD, but having spent the last day reading on my new Kobo Aura H2O2, I'd say it has the edge. I don't know if this image will be of any use, but perhaps it might help you decide if the H2O2 is nearer what you're after
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I agree with you and said the same when I got mine, was surprised at the clarity difference from the PW3 I was used to. I have gotten around it by having to make the text one click bolder to try and bring it more equal, although the PW3 is still better clarity. I second suggestions to go with the PW3 if you want to stay in the Amazon system since it will still be updated awhile, or else you could try the Nook you are impressed with if you don't care about the Amazon ecosystem.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Kindle Voyage has the best contrast of all Kindles, dark and crisp. It's not sold new anymore, but you can buy it refurbished from different places (eBay and Amazon itself, for example). To my knowledge no one has ever complained about the Voyage having washed-out text (pretty common complaints about the various Paperwhites and Oases).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Kindle Voyage has the best contrast of all Kindles, dark and crisp. It's not sold new anymore, but you can buy it refurbished from different places (eBay and Amazon itself, for example). To my knowledge no one has ever complained about the Voyage having washed-out text (pretty common complaints about the various Paperwhites and Oases).
The Voyage (refurbished) is currently available on Woot (Amazon company) for $100.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...lnd_cat_pc_4_6

Currently new Voyages (with cellular support) are available from Amazon, but the cost is $270.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...y_technology=1

(See bottom listing on page.)

Last edited by rcentros; 11-19-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
Jnwigfall75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I agree with you and said the same when I got mine, was surprised at the clarity difference from the PW3 I was used to. I have gotten around it by having to make the text one click bolder to try and bring it more equal, although the PW3 is still better clarity. I second suggestions to go with the PW3 if you want to stay in the Amazon system since it will still be updated awhile, or else you could try the Nook you are impressed with if you don't care about the Amazon ecosystem.
I love the amazon interface and vocabulary tools, it has everything i need but the most important thing for me, a good screen. ima try a pw3, and if that doesnt look good enough, ill try a kobo clara which im really hoping looks good, last resort is the nook
Old 11-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #8
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
It's best when contrast can bet adjusted. Font faces, boldness, gamma, etc.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Jnwigfall75

h

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
It's best when contrast can bet adjusted. Font faces, boldness, gamma, etc.
i wish they had something like that
Old 11-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnwigfall75 View Post
i wish they had something like that
You can install your own fonts and adjust boldness on all the newer Kindles.

I watched some video reviews and the PW4 appears to have worse contrast than both the Voyage and the Oasis. If contrast is very important to you, I would advise to try the Voyage.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I watched some video reviews and the PW4 appears to have worse contrast than both the Voyage and the Oasis. If contrast is very important to you, I would advise to try the Voyage.
I think the PW3s also have better contrast. And, in the U.S., they're currently on sale for $80 (or $85 if you don't want special offers).

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle...dle+paperwhite

(Or remove ads in customization for $5.)

https://www.amazon.com/oc/configurat...&wlPopCommand=
Old 11-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #12
Jnwigfall75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think the PW3s also have better contrast. And, in the U.S., they're currently on sale for $80 (or $85 if you don't want special offers).

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle...dle+paperwhite

(Or remove ads in customization for $5.)

https://www.amazon.com/oc/configurat...&wlPopCommand=

Yea i think i may try kindle one more time. If not im going to try kobo clara
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #13
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The best contrast I've seen is on the Nook Glowlight 3. I have it as well as a Paperwhite 3 and a Paperwhite 4. The Glowlight doesn't have the coating that's needed for the touch screen and that dramatically increases the darkness of the text. It has an infra-red touch screen.

That said, in every other way it's not nearly as good a device as my Paperwhites. It's a decent device with a superb screen while my Paperwhites are superb devices with only excellent screens.

My suggestion is get used to the Paperwhite.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
While I agree with everyone here, I would say buy the Voyage over the Paperwhite 3. The Voyage is a nicer bit of hardware over the Paperwhite and it has better contrast.

If you can get the Paperwhite 3 at $80 or the Voyage is $100, the $20 difference will be worth it.

As you can see, I have the Glowlight Plus and the Glowlight 3 and the Glowlight 3 screen is very, very nice. When you're reading on a Nook, they are terrific. I have no complaints about how it handles as a reader. It's when you do anything else that you notice how slow the thing is.

I haven't seen a Clara HD in person. But if the screen is at all comparable to the Glowlight 3, I'd say buy the Clara. I think the reading experience on Kobo isn't quite as good as the Nook, but it is good and everything else in their software is miles better.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-07-2018 at 05:07 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The only problem, and it's a significant one, with the Kobo Clara is that some of them have light bleed: spots of uneven lighting, which can be very distracting. I bought one; I took it back.

Personally, I would go with the PW3 or one of the other kindles being recommended.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote