Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #61
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
The thing is, 99.9% of the time, when computers "make mistakes" it's actually a programmer who made it.
[...]
My guess is that's where your adage comes from - a computer with no such "unexpected situation" failsafes will happily go on doing whatever it was doing, increasing the damage tenfold)
Yes, humans use tools to magnify their influence (whether it be strength, endurance, calculation speed and so on). When a human makes a mistake on their own the impact is limited, when they are using tools the impact of their mistakes is magnified too. You can't have one without the other.

But it achieves little to blame computer errors on programmers. It may be strictly true, but it doesn't help. (Remember the first part of that adage: to err is human. The errors are going to happen, accept it.) Even if/when we get AIs writing smarter AIs it should be feasible to trace an error back to a human programmer that should have foreseen a problem and put something in place to prevent it. But programming doesn't really work like that, and I doubt if it will even when AIs take over. We write little modules that our little brains can get their minds around, and then we put these modules together into larger and larger conglomerations. We have long since passed the point where a single human brain can contort its mind around how all the modules in a modern computer will interact. We now see errors showing up in code written decades ago - but they weren't all errors then, sometimes its just that the environment changed. So we are now down to test like mad and then suck it and see ... and sometimes it really sucks!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #62
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post

(What humans have, and computers only have when they have been explicitly programmed for, is "oh sh**" reflexes: when something that should never happen, happens, they try to improvise an emergency response. My guess is that's where your adage comes from - a computer with no such "unexpected situation" failsafes will happily go on doing whatever it was doing, increasing the damage tenfold)
Which is why the first generation robotrucks will have human monitors and will be limited to the interstates, where there is more room to look ahead and avoid idiots. People keep visualizing driverless sixteen wheelers in urban rush hour settings they will never be allowed to enter.

As the Volvo exec quoted above said, nobody wants to risk ruining it for everybody.

Naysayers also neglect to consider that where human drivers are limited to visual cues and tactile feedback, robotrucks are loaded with a full range of sensors with greater range than anybody not named Matt Murdock. Radar, lidar, infrared, precision accelerometers, night vision cameras for the human monitors...

One thing robotrucks will most assuredly be is defensive drivers, always looking out for crazy human drivers down the road.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #63
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Continuing with roundabouts, I "love" some of the new roundabouts in my area. The city didn't get rid of the 4 way stop signs, they just added an island in the middle of the intersection making it near impossible for any vehicle larger than a Scion IQ to go around the roundabout without clipping a curb thus yielding the worst of both worlds -- a scenario dear to a city planner's heart.

Anyone else remember the Mythbuster's episode MythBusters: Four-way stop vs. Roundabout? They at least had the common sense to build their roundabout large enough to be useful.
I hate roundabouts. I keep encountering them on through roads, and they slow me down.They're even worse when I am in an area for the first time, and I don't know exactly where my destination is. Then the roundabouts keep me from finding the house I am looking for.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #64
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Roundabouts are perfectly fine for motorists, but they can be absolutely terrible for pedestrians.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Roundabouts are perfectly fine for motorists, but they can be absolutely terrible for pedestrians.
In the UK, most roundabouts aren't in places that pedestrians go, but for the few that are (those in cities, mainly) a pedestrian underpass is the usual solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 AM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're even worse when I am in an area for the first time, and I don't know exactly where my destination is. Then the roundabouts keep me from finding the house I am looking for.
That's where the "beauty" of the roundabout falls flat. There's two levels of familiarity required for them to be navigated effortlessly. One first has to be familiar with roundabouts in general (a problem in many areas of the US where drivers can live their entire lives without ever encountering one). And one needs to be familiar with THAT roundabout in order to sufficiently anticipate your exit from it (it also helps if one uses that same roundabout regularly). In busy areas with lots of non-local traffic, this means the roundabout is a stressful, hectic, and unfamiliar hurdle for everyone except the folks who have already become accustomed to them (and to that one in particular).

Intersections may be bad for the flow of traffic in general, but their navigation is exactly the same the world over. There is no familiarity requirement. "When the light turns green, I'm going THAT way." The same cannot be said for roundabouts. Even if you're familiar with them in general, the new one you encounter may have intricacies that can't be anticipated. In my opinion, roundabouts over-complicate the decision-making process for minimal gains in traffic-flow efficiency.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's where the "beauty" of the roundabout falls flat. There's two levels of familiarity required for them to be navigated effortlessly. One first has to be familiar with roundabouts in general (a problem in many areas of the US where drivers can live their entire lives without ever encountering one). And one needs to be familiar with THAT roundabout in order to sufficiently anticipate your exit from it
Why is that? In the UK at least, roundabouts are well sign-posted on their approach. Eg:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sign.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	167870

Then when you're actually on the roundabout, each exit is separately signed to its destination. So you look at the sign as you approach and note which exit you need, and then look for that destination again as you exit.

Is the signage not similar in the US?

Last edited by HarryT; 11-21-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it's not similar (in my corner of the world anyway). To me, that sign looks like the symbol Prince changed his name for a while. It wouldn't help me unless I could stop and study it first.

For the record: I think roundabouts would make perfect sense in an AI controlled traffic pattern; just not a human one. They're not intuitive to a lot of people. Perhaps if we were all born somewhere they were commonplace it would be different. *shrug*
Old 11-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #69
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I don't recall ever seeing signs like that in any roundabout I have traversed.
The first time I encountered roundabouts was when I had to drive in New Jersey. I drove for miles, in the left lane, trying to make a U turn. Every intersection had a no U turn sign. I happened to look left and saw a roundabout with a small sign with an arrow that looped around. At the time I remember thinking "only in New Jersey do you have to turn right to turn left".
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No, it's not similar (in my corner of the world anyway). To me, that sign looks like the symbol Prince changed his name for a while. It wouldn't help me unless I could stop and study it first.
The sign shows you the "angle" of each exit relative to the road you're entering the roundabout from. So if you wanted to go to Ilford, you'd know you need to drive three quarters of the way around the roundabout to reach the exit you need. It ain't rocket science, but I'm sure you're right in saying that familiarity has a part to play. Everybody who learns to drive in Britain gets taught about roundabouts as a part of learning to drive.

What do roundabout signs look like in the US? Ie how do you know which exit you need?

Last edited by HarryT; 11-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #71
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why is that? In the UK at least, roundabouts are well sign-posted on their approach. Eg:

Attachment 167870

Then when you're actually on the roundabout, each exit is separately signed to its destination. So you look at the sign as you approach and note which exit you need, and then look for that destination again as you exit.

Is the signage not similar in the US?
The roundabouts on through roads are often labeled, but not the ones in residential developments. Then they just assume you are going to know where everything is.

What's especially annoying is when two of the roads coming up to the roundabout have different names. If the road you need is on the left, you might go right past it without realizing that this was it.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The roundabouts on through roads are often labeled, but not the ones in residential developments. Then they just assume you are going to know where everything is.

What's especially annoying is when two of the roads coming up to the roundabout have different names. If the road you need is on the left, you might go right past it without realizing that this was it.
There does seem little benefit to roundabouts in that sort of area, I agree. Their benefit is in maintaining smooth traffic flow on busy roads. They're pointless on quiet roads.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There does seem little benefit to roundabouts in that sort of area, I agree. Their benefit is in maintaining smooth traffic flow on busy roads. They're pointless on quiet roads.
I think they put them in because they look pretty.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #74
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:

For the record: I think roundabouts would make perfect sense in an AI controlled traffic pattern; just not a human one. They're not intuitive to a lot of people. Perhaps if we were all born somewhere they were commonplace it would be different. *shrug*
I would have to do the same and than creep around it until I found the right exit.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #75
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I would have to do the same and than creep around it until I found the right exit.
And then, of course, the people who ARE familiar with it, have zero patience for the folks who aren't. Thus compounding the problem..