Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #76
newday07
Connoisseur
newday07 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Chapter header information is listed with the search results.

(The chapters in this book are named, not numbered.)
Thank you.

In my PW3 size slider doesn't work so well.
newday07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #77
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tono1020 View Post
FONT_RAMP hack still works, but instead of 8 numbers, you should write 14 numbers in it.
I tried and it works fine. You can see my FONT_RAMP file in attachement.
Your FONT_RAMP file worked great. Thanks again.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Will the boldness setting work on "new" mobis?
Why use Mobi? KF8 is better and it works for sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #79
Eliy
Eliy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why use Mobi? KF8 is better and it works for sure.
"new" mobi in Calibre = KF8 - OK :-)
"old" mobi in Calibre = mobi7= KF7 - poorly
Eliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #80
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Trying to decide if I want to use font boldness 1 or 0. (no bolding). Font size 4 seems to be the best at the moment in my current book (Dead to the World, Sookie Stackhouse book 4). I'll read a bit with the bolding turned on and then see if I want to revert it.

Is the display of a book's author under its title on the list home page new? I don't remember seeing it before but I may have just not been paying attention.

The Kindle no longer displays separate charge levels for the cover and Kindle. All it has now is the overall charge level at the top like it had before. I definitely don't like that. I guess it's for consistency reasons since this Oasis is now the only Kindle with a separate battery.

According to the 7" user's guide, there's a new menu item called Accessibility in the settings menu. This is completely absent in the first Oasis as far as I can see. Like font bolding, I'll give invert a try when the new one arrives and see if I like it. It might be useful for reading late at night in bed, though as it is the light from the screen isn't very bright and not a bother.

As for the Tapatalk ads, the app defaults to posting that stuff. I turned it off in my copy. I'd rather just use a site's signature feature when I do want to use a signature. I want my posts to be the same no matter if I post them with Tapatalk or a web browser.

Last edited by Buran; 10-12-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #81
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Anyone checked if maybe CJK_FONT_RAMP (= font sizes for KFX books) started working finally?

Also, can someone who is using both FONT_RAMP and custom fonts hack check if new bold setting work for overridden Caecilia Condensed (this for both KF8/AZW3 and KFX books)?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #82
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliy View Post
Work only with embedded fonts
I really think that this is a bit disappointing. I would gladly convert all my personal documents to KFX but Amazon does not seem to want to offer that...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #83
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
The Kindle no longer displays separate charge levels for the cover and Kindle. All it has now is the overall charge level at the top like it had before. I definitely don't like that. I guess it's for consistency reasons since this Oasis is now the only Kindle with a separate battery.
Its still the same as before. Kindle battery icon on the left, cover on the right when you go into the "gear" on top menu. Might have to wiggle your cover a bit if its not seated correctly.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #84
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Its still the same as before. Kindle battery icon on the left, cover on the right when you go into the "gear" on top menu. Might have to wiggle your cover a bit if its not seated correctly.
I guess it was loose -- now it works. Go figure. Sometimes I get random complaints of the cover being incorrectly connected even if it feels fine, and it's done that with all three covers I've used with it. No complaint that time. So thanks for the followup.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #85
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I installed the Kindle 7th Generation update. It's nice to have the updates but I still have to read in landscape format. I'm using size 7 with 1 bold and the text lines are too short when in portrait mode. I really do need a bigger screen!

Last edited by tdonline; 10-12-2017 at 04:59 PM.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #86
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I guess it was loose -- now it works. Go figure. Sometimes I get random complaints of the cover being incorrectly connected even if it feels fine, and it's done that with all three covers I've used with it. No complaint that time. So thanks for the followup.
No problem. You are apparently not alone with the cover connection issue, but I personally never saw that message, nor have I ever had any issues. And I have 2 covers, I bought a 2nd one when they were super cheap from the warehouse.
Neither has given me the message. So I wonder if its not the covers, but the connectors on the actual device that cause that issue.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #87
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Quote:
Work only with embedded fonts.
I really think that this is a bit disappointing. I would gladly convert all my personal documents to KFX but Amazon does not seem to want to offer that...
Eliy's statement is wrong. Font bolding does not work with embedded publisher fonts. You'll have to select one of the default Kindle fonts. (At least it didn't work with the KindleGen generated AZW3 books that I tested it with.)

BTW, you don't have to convert your personal documents to KFX files, AZW3 will do. Of course, you'll get slightly better results with KFX files, but the Calibre KFX output plugin occasionally fails to convert books to KFX.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
"new" mobi in Calibre = KF8 - OK :-)
"old" mobi in Calibre = mobi7= KF7 - poorly
KF8 isn't anything to do with Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 PM   #89
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I installed the Kindle 7th Generation update. It's nice to have the updates but I still have to read in landscape format. I'm using size 7 with 1 bold and the text lines are too short when in portrait mode. I really do need a bigger screen!
And I presume minimum margins.

There is a term for that condition, but for the life of me I can't recall it.

Try this:
Move your head, not your eyes as you follow the words of the line.
You may have to "train" yourself to do that (does not take long).
Hmm...
Having a touch screen complicates things a bit, but if it where a non-touchscreen line of words ....
Put finger under first word, point nose at finger, read word, move finger keeping your eyes fixed in position and follow finger with nose, read word, repeat.
(with a touchscreen, you will have to find a substitute for your finger)

Why?
While your eyes are moving, your brain ignores what they are sending.
It is that shudder-like effect that makes a lot of short lines more tiring to read than a lot of long lines.
The muscles which move the head are not tied into the "shuddering".

Note:
You may end up with that "thousand yard stare" common among ground combat troops.
But at least you will not stumble into any trip wired surprises when moving and not reading.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #90
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I was very excited by the increase in font sizes, downloaded the firmware, then found out that, of course, none of these new sizes actually go smaller than before not a very interesting update for me, I'm afraid.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp