Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #1
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Extra spaces between words

Hi guys... the problem I'm having is that some of the books I have converted with Calibre and am reading with a Kindle Paperwhite have extra spaces between words. This occurs for one or two lines of text every 2-3ish pages and is normal spacing between occurrences.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can you offer any advice? It's very difficult for me to read an e-book if there are any problems with the format, and I would love to be able to get this straightened out.

Thanks a bunch.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Hi guys... the problem I'm having is that some of the books I have converted with Calibre and am reading with a Kindle Paperwhite have extra spaces between words. This occurs for one or two lines of text every 2-3ish pages and is normal spacing between occurrences.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can you offer any advice? It's very difficult for me to read an e-book if there are any problems with the format, and I would love to be able to get this straightened out.

Thanks a bunch.
Those are not extra spaces but gaps in the lines due to the first word on the next line not fitting. Since you use Calibre, I suggest you install and configure the Hyphenate This! plugin to add hyphens to your Kindle eBooks. Then you won't have as many gaps.

Hyphenate This! https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208534
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Oh, ok... so it is adding extra spaces between each word in that line instead of space at the end of the line due to a long word at the end? It looks awful. My real preference would be for it to just leave the space at the end of the line... I'm going to check out the Hyphenate plugin, though... thanks very much for the recommendation.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Oh, ok... so it is adding extra spaces between each word in that line instead of space at the end of the line due to a long word at the end? It looks awful. My real preference would be for it to just leave the space at the end of the line... I'm going to check out the Hyphenate plugin, though... thanks very much for the recommendation.
There are no extra spaces in the eBook. It's in the display of the eBook. It happens to get the line to be justified. Hyphens do help this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Drybonz
Connoisseur

Ok, I just tried the Hyphenate plugin and it seems to work pretty well. Not sure if I picked the best dictionary or if it matters, but my book looks much better. Thanks for the help.
I guess I'm going to have to batch edit quite a few books now. I have always kept my library in .mobi format, but I noticed someone said it works better with .azw3. So I guess I will need to batch convert to that format and then batch hyphenate. I hope no other formatting problems show up while I'm doing all this. o_O
Thanks again.
Advert