Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 10:59 PM   #196
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
How to root this device?

I recently bought this device. This device comes with WebView 44 which is pretty old. I tried to update the WebView to version 70 from Google Play store and it just doesn't work.

I googled this issue and find that the only way to solve the problem is to modify a flag in Android Framework. Since the /system partition is read-only I can only pull the framework out but can't put back in. Thus I believe rooting the device is the best option.

Does anyone have success rooting Boox Nova? Thanks in advance
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:22 AM   #197
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaudg View Post
Same problem here. A simple workaround that works well for me: install your purchased app from the Play Store on a PC and choose your Nova when it asks for a device.
Yeah tried that, but didn't work unfortunately, getting "An unexpected error occured" on all paid apps. Tried all the other recommended fixes as well, clearing cache and data, reinstalling play store, yada yada.
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #198
shah_ram
shah_ram began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
Yes, i put some messages up.

Battery mode in no saving mode
Unfroze google setings and play store
Execute play store and login
Settings/apps/ gsf register
Apps/Play Store Login Patcher (Download from onyx store) Apply
Reboot device
Wait 5 minutes before enter play store. I don't know if it's needed but it's what it says after patching

Now you can install buyed apps.
Oh thank you. It worked and now I can install the purchased apps.

I have another questions now.
I think that neoreader doesnt support Popup Footnotes. is that correct?

shah_ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #199
michaudg
michaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the rough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoramix View Post
Yeah tried that, but didn't work unfortunately, getting "An unexpected error occured" on all paid apps. Tried all the other recommended fixes as well, clearing cache and data, reinstalling play store, yada yada.
I had this problem too. Try to logout from the Play Store on your PC and login again.
michaudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 AM   #200
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I have 2018-11-21 installed switching temporarily language to chinese.
Since a couple of days i'm asked to upgrade firmware to 2.0, but download interrupts at the very beginning (one cm of the check update bar :-) )
Then it ask me to upgrade immediately but of course package verify failed.
Where is the partial downloaded file?
no hint?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #201
michaudg
michaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the roughmichaudg is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
no hint?
The same happened to me for the first update. I had to hit Pause and restart the download many times to have the complete update file downloaded.

For the second update (2018-12-04), I downloaded the update.upx file directly from the Boox support page (http://www.boox.com/downloads/) and copied it from a PC directly in the /sdcard/ folder. The update tool on the reader recognized the file and installed it successfully.

Good luck.
michaudg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #202
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaudg View Post
For the second update (2018-12-04), I downloaded the update.upx file directly from the Boox support page (http://www.boox.com/downloads/) and copied it from a PC directly in the /sdcard/ folder. The update tool on the reader recognized the file and installed it successfully.

Good luck.
Thank you, i took it from where you said and it went fine
Let's hope they will change that uncustomizable left side bar
Old 12-20-2018, 04:36 AM   #203
underscore
Addict

Quote:
Thank you, i took it from where you said and it went fine
Let's hope they will change that uncustomizable left side bar
Best thing i got from this 514 mega update is the widget to turn on light from the android top bar without passing from neoreader or the dedicated app.
Would be cool to have a customizable "power off" screen.
Name, cover of last opened books
Old 12-24-2018, 06:56 PM   #204
Asiorent
Asiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheeseAsiorent can extract oil from cheese

Waiting for the new batch after New Year, looking forward to try it. By the way seems screen dimensions are like Aura One 158.496 x 118.872 mm. I was searching for this info so somebody might find it useful.

Last edited by Asiorent; 12-24-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Asiorent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #205
FOV
Connoisseur
FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FOV ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MagicBook A6LHD
BOOX Nova/Poke Pro update v2.0.1 (2018-12-14) !
FOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #206
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I switched my Nova to Chinese and downloaded the latest update.

On my Nova, my firmware is now given as version 2018-12-18_17-54_2.0.1_07b0039

I've seen two changes: My Play Store problem where it wanted me to pay again for apps I already bought has been fixed! The front light control has been changed so that you can more easily blend the "warm" and "cold" light to your liking, thus making the mixed dimming app unnecessary.

I haven't checked out NeoReader yet.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:18 AM   #207
panoramix
panoramix began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

I've seen two changes: My Play Store problem where it wanted me to pay again for apps I already bought has been fixed! The front light control has been changed so that you can more easily blend the "warm" and "cold" light to your liking, thus making the mixed dimming app unnecessary.
Confirmed on 2018-12-26_21-45_2.0.1_0d1b2fc, installed without changing system language.

Feels like wifi performance is improved, but hard to be sure.

Still issues with some Play Services-dependent apps.
panoramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:00 AM   #208
Libretom
Libretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the roughLibretom is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I switched my Nova to Chinese and downloaded the latest update.

I haven't checked out NeoReader yet.

The update is installed successfully. Light control is much better. The listing of the library also became more reasonable (chronological listing). So far I found no other changes.
Libretom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #209
underscore
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libretom View Post
The update is installed successfully. Light control is much better. The listing of the library also became more reasonable (chronological listing). So far I found no other changes.
- i think i noticed also better wifi and/or browser experience
- i don't remember if neoreader got the multi open documents feature before this update.
- would like to sort by name AND reading time, in order to sort also folders
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 AM   #210
kaper123
kaper123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2, Boyue T62, BOOX Nova
Adobe Digital Editions

Has anyone had any luck with transferring books using ADE? https://helpx.adobe.com/digital-edit...-editions.html

I also tried using Calibre, but the file cannot open once on the device https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html

Last edited by kaper123; 01-04-2019 at 05:50 AM.
kaper123 is offline   Reply With Quote