Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
I stopped reading today in part II where he starts telling you how to organize workspace. I knew that I didn't have time to do it right, though I was encouraged by the fact that my workspace (at work at least) was 90% of the way there.
Oddly, I paid no attention whatsoever to GTD's recommendations regarding workspace (in the traditional sense of the word). And I hate the idea of a tickler file. For me, the system had to be as portable as possible. Portable meaning it had to be contained in a laptop and a PDA. I hardly store any paper. I scan as many documents as possible. Thank God, I hardly deal with originals. I applied Allen's filing techniques to the folders in my computers.
My desk is a mess, while I keep my computer's desktop as clean as possible. That sums it up.
Every person has to find his/her own balance point (where GTD helps, instead of being a burden), and tweak it all the way.

Last edited by Francesco; 04-12-2005 at 06:54 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #17
laurencalvin
laurencalvin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
That was really insightful Francesco. I for one uses iPod touch and I also use evernote. GTD has helped me in so many ways, but truth be told, I found it so complexed in the beginning. I didn't know how to make it work for me. Until, my friend directed me to this website called http://www.WeeklyReviewExpert.com.

This site really taught me so much on taking accountability and I really felt the concern in helping me. I found the GTD concept difficult having thought at once that it won't for me, but then then the site made me work out the confusion. So for anyone who'sin the same dilemma surrounding the subject of GTD, the website would really be worth checking out.

Hope this helps.
laurencalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
jmaloney
Connoisseur
jmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-booksjmaloney has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Look forward to hearing more from you about GTD! I use something GTD-like also. And I was very excited myself when I read Allen's book. The weekly review is a good idea, but a tough one for me to get done. Maybe when I simplify things a bit more I'll be able to do that. I really appreciate the idea of putting everything in a trusted place (PDA for me) so you have access to it easily and don't have to keep track in your head. Really reduces stress.

Some of it is a bit too complicated for my needs... e.g. contexts like "@home" or "@work" or "@online" is something that I just can't keep track of properly which made it useless for my purposes.
You might want to look into Zen to Done, which is Leo Babauta's "minimalist" take on GTD. He put it together specifically to address what he felt was too complicated about GTD and to simplify it to the basic elements.
jmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote