Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What tale retold shall we read in April?
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 7 58.33%
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett 6 50.00%
The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston 5 41.67%
Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather 6 50.00%
House of Names by Colm Tóibín 6 50.00%
All The President’s Men by Carl Bernstein & Bob Woodward 3 25.00%
The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth 3 25.00%
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It sounds to me as if "historical daring" is a polite way of saying she made it up without a shred of proof. Maybe that's what bugged you when you read it.
Which wouldn't make it that different to any of the other versions. As best I can tell, there is no "proof" as such, only the (very much arguable) balance of probability.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:38 AM   #32
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
The White Queen sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. I had forgotten that I also read A Secret Alchemy by Emma Darwin many years ago. This book reimagines the story from the Woodville family’s perspective. I remember nothing about it, but Goodreads tells me that I gave it 2 stars. I have no idea why I rated it that low, but it may appeal to some people.
I won't go so far as recommendation yet. I'm just starting it today (the first step of which was realising I'd somehow managed to turn Beaufort into Beaumont in my head , which I only realised when studying the family tree before I started reading). But yes, I do think it sounds interesting. I am curious to see how what I learn from this compares to what you learned from the Alison Weir version.
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I must say I'm hoping a few members will actually get around to reading The Daughter of Time!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
I must say I'm hoping a few members will actually get around to reading The Daughter of Time!
Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

... It's so tempting to say more than that, but will hold off until the 15th. In the meantime I'm just satisfying two questions for the (on special) price of one: read someone else's view of the puzzle, and find out whether Philippa Gregory is someone I'd like to read more of. (I am quite interested in Alison Weir's perspective too, especially since - if I understand correctly - it is in more direct contradiction to the The Daughter of Time ... but it wasn't on special.)
Old 04-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #35
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
I've read it also Bookpossum I'm looking forward to the book club discussion on the 15th. I'm also almost finished with Alison Weir's " Princes in the Tower " as Bookworm_girl has. The e book has photos and were chilling to see the actual bones of the skeletons that were found under the stairs in the tower and the skull of Margaret Beaufort who was used for DNA testing because she was a relative of the Princes. Very interesting stuff. As Bookworm_girl has said " The Daughter of Time " as the defense of King Richard III and Weir's " Princes in the Tower " would be the prosecution. Reading both since I didn't know much about this period has been helpful to me.

Last edited by Wearever; 04-09-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #36
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There's a good reason you won't have heard of "Beaumont", it was supposed to be "Beaufort" - I have no idea how it came go get turned around in my head.
This happens to me all the time too gmw. Beaufort is an important person and I'm going to read what the theory is too. I saw an image of the White Queen that is in a museum ( not personally unfortunately) it's in the Alison Weir book and she was beautiful.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote