Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Nook Glowlight 3
successfully installed Google Play Books

We all know that Nook Glowlight 3 is android 4.4.2 based, and many of us have installed various apps on it.

I was wondering whether it's possible to install Google Play Books. Since I have purchased many books using Play Books, but I don't like to read on phone or tablet. Therefore I have spent some time to figure out how to do it.

The steps are as follows:
1. install TWRP by Ryogo

2. install gapps, I use open gapps arm 4.4 pico version, this version contains Google Play Store

3. Sign in with Google Account, but you need to disable 2 step verification of google account first. You can re-enable it after successful sign in.

4. install Google Play Books, it should be possible to do that through Play Store, but my attempt failed, may be out of memory? Therefore I get the apk from apkmirror

Voila!

Play Books is fully functional. However, the memory usage is very high and it will become extremely slow after some operations. Don't know whether disable bnreader.apk and partner.apk will help. Perhaps a glowlight 3 dedicated to Play Books is possible.

Anyway, just to show that it's doable.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190115_204808.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	169144  

Last edited by plainbriny; 01-16-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: image adjustment
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
menny
menny began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
This is amazing! I followed your instructions and got to installing everything and getting things working, but after rebooting the device it never goes past the boot screen. Any idea?
menny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just use Calibre to deDRM and transfer my Google Play purchases to my Kindles, Nook and Kobo.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote