Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
m_j
m_j began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Forma
Unhappy Kobo Forma front light malfunction within a week...

I received my Forma 32G from Japan on this Monday
It had no issue except the light stripe
However, a blue area appears on the screen today when I turn on the front light
The machine has official cover to protect it and I only use it in my room.
I have tried manual factory reset twice but nothing changed.
It seems like I have to contact Kobo for international service now.
This is my first Kobo eReader and the purchase is quite frustrating...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181116_195748.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	167729   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181116_195708.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	167730   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181116_195717.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	167731   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181116_195702.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	167732   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20181116_195736.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	167733  
m_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #2
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
This is a serious issue, and I never seen anything like this. You better return it, maybe they will sending you a new one.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 AM   #3
m_j

I have contacted Kobo online customer service. The service said they cannot replace a new unit to me and asked me to contact the retailer in Japan...But I am in southern hemisphere, damn it!

I am very disappointed by Kobo's quality control and service in this experience, especially considering Forma is Kobo's flagship model. Kobo charge its customers higher price, only provides us inferior product quality and service. I think that is the way how Kobo loses ground to Amazon even it has opportunity.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_j View Post
I have contacted Kobo online customer service. The service said they cannot replace a new unit to me and asked me to contact the retailer in Japan...But I am in southern hemisphere, damn it!

I am very disappointed by Kobo's quality control and service in this experience, especially considering Forma is Kobo's flagship model. Kobo charge its customers higher price, only provides us inferior product quality and service. I think that is the way how Kobo loses ground to Amazon even it has opportunity.
The quality of Kobo Forma of this year is really terrible, by far I have seen 3 different problems about quality control including yours. Unfortunately, my Kobo Forma got two of them, fortunately, they are not that serious and don't affect my daily use. I believe that the Kobo company already noticed these problem and are fixing them (another thread mentioned this), but I'm not know when exactly the fixed hardware will be released.

Well, good luck, hope you can just return it, if you are sensitive about the quality control, you may want to wait for fixed hardware and buy it then. (I don't know the date).

If you are curious about all the 3 problems about quality control, here is the list:

1. Kobo forma screen flickering/pwm issues
2. Forma wedge-side light issue
3. Yours
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
m_j

I notice the light stripe issue, too. It was distracting because my stripe is close to texts so it is hard to ignore. But the stripe is not an issue comparing with this blue area defect. About the flickering, although my cellphone can catch the flickering, but I cannot perceive the flickering with my bare eyes, so I am ok with it. However, it would be better to use other less controversial techniques. I have no idea why Kobo utilizes this controversial method on its premium model.

Last edited by m_j; 11-16-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
if Kobo sell 100 crappy Forma's and only a very tiny percentage send them back/complain job done.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_j View Post
About the flickering, although my cellphone can catch the flickering, but I cannot perceive the flickering with my bare eyes, so I am ok with it. However, it would be better to use other less controversial techniques. I have no idea why Kobo utilizes this controversial method on its premium model.
Hmmm... have you looked at the two main methods for controlling LED brightness? If so, you may notice that variable current has issues with non-linearity between current and brightness not to mention colour shifting as you dim the LEDs. As for the flickering, I found it interesting that we have a claim that no flickering was recorded at 50% brightness yet flickering was recorded at 100% brightness. The designs I have seen for PWM brightness control have all used a 100% duty cycle at 100% brightness so no on/off and no flickering.

I've attached two images showing light output using variable current and PWM. Sadly, the site with the original images is no longer there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VAcharakteristikabiela-LED5mm-PWM-Ucc-3-7-V.png
Views:	247
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	167762   Click image for larger version

Name:	VAcharakteristikabiela-LED5mm.png
Views:	229
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	167763  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #8
m_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... have you looked at the two main methods for controlling LED brightness? If so, you may notice that variable current has issues with non-linearity between current and brightness not to mention colour shifting as you dim the LEDs. As for the flickering, I found it interesting that we have a claim that no flickering was recorded at 50% brightness yet flickering was recorded at 100% brightness. The designs I have seen for PWM brightness control have all used a 100% duty cycle at 100% brightness so no on/off and no flickering.

I've attached two images showing light output using variable current and PWM. Sadly, the site with the original images is no longer there.
Good to know the difference between two methods.
Personally, I have no special opinion about PWM as long as it doesn't affect my eyes and reading. As an end user, all I care about is the reading experience and quality. I would like to leave the technical issues to engineers while I enjoy my reading
Old 11-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #9
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by codychan View Post
The quality of Kobo Forma of this year is really terrible, by far I have seen 3 different problems about quality control including yours. Unfortunately, my Kobo Forma got two of them, fortunately, they are not that serious and don't affect my daily use.
So what makes them "really terrible"? I'm getting a little tired of the histrionics here. While I don't excuse Kobo's design decisions or quality control, reading this forum (and reddit) would make you think it's a piece of garbage.

Meanwhile, in my experience, it is the best mix of features in a eReader that I've used (which is well over 10 devices at this point), and I really enjoy it.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #10
m_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
So what makes them "really terrible"? I'm getting a little tired of the histrionics here. While I don't excuse Kobo's design decisions or quality control, reading this forum (and reddit) would make you think it's a piece of garbage.

Meanwhile, in my experience, it is the best mix of features in a eReader that I've used (which is well over 10 devices at this point), and I really enjoy it.
I agree with you for the second part.
If there is no these quality issues, I am going to recommend Forma to other users and my friends. It is almost a perfect eReader for me.
But after this experience, I would not recommend it to people who just want a hassle-free premium eReader.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
So what makes them "really terrible"?
The flickering light triggered a migraine for me twice. I realize that monitors and tvs also flicker but it must have something do with the frequency.

The light bar is distractingly bad and not found on much cheaper ereaders (like the Paperwhite or Kobo's own Aura Ed. 2).

Meanwhile the Paperwhite 4 launched with no issues with the frontlight or any other hardware issues.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #12
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Meanwhile the Paperwhite 4 launched with no issues with the frontlight or any other hardware issues.
It's also almost the exact same device as the Paperwhite 3, and is the 4th iteration in the Paperwhite series. It's much easier to ship a bug-free device when you're re-releasing the same product.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
abdirahim
abdirahim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
It's also almost the exact same device as the Paperwhite 3, and is the 4th iteration in the Paperwhite series. It's much easier to ship a bug-free device when you're re-releasing the same product.
I believe what you're saying is that the Forma is not yet ready for prime time in all respects. That's pretty clear.

It might be wiser to wait until Kobo releases a revised model. The Forma is very expensive, and for that, the problems are unacceptable to many people. Kobo had the H2O, and then Kobo released the H2O Second, which seems improved over the first, given time.

I'm thinking about getting the H2O Second. Most people seem happy with that.
abdirahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think the H2O 2nd edition was a cost reduction (no SD card slot), it then had a second version. Nothing wrong with original H2O.
Kobo do seem to have a problem producing bug free software and enhancements that people actually want, however while Kindle is maybe better for general use, the way I use annotations with the Kobo H2O and Calibre means I use it for all my proof reading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
From the sidelines, I don't think the design or features are the issue. It's the quality control that seems to be lacking.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, kobo