Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Thank you! I was going to nominate The Devil in the White City which was a selection for the MRBC in March 2010 but has been brought up in three separate places for me the last couple of months (a podcast, the November nominations, and one that I can't remember). Since it is not eligible again and since it doesn't look like anyone currently participating here was involved the last go around it seemed like a good option. (I am told that the audio book is very good if anyone is interested.)
I think we should go with that list and not nominate any books on the list. It's only fair for those who were participating at that time and are still here. There are plenty of books that we can exclude those on that list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:57 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think we should go with that list and not nominate any books on the list. It's only fair for those who were participating at that time and are still here. There are plenty of books that we can exclude those on that list.
Jon -- See the Rules. The limit is anything selected in the last 5 years in either prior club is ineligible, and we will shift that list every January. There's a spreadsheet up on my personal OneDrive that is sortable and filterable.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #33
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
I'll nominate Rainbows End: A Novel with One Foot in the Future by Vernor Vinge.
I second this.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #34
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Thank you! I was going to nominate The Devil in the White City—-
Thank you for reminding me of this book. AND it is cheaper on Amazon UK, £5.49
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Considering you were the one who tried to nominate it in November, and I really wish it had been eligible then, I wasn't expecting opposition to this one from you now that we can nominate it.

I think the 5 year rule is enough, there isn't a lot of overlap in participants (even if they are still around) from that long ago although individual books may vary and this gives us a chance to revisit books from many years ago as things change or they become relevant again. I really doubt we will re-select a book often even though it is now a possibility. As I mentioned above, for this particular book I don't see ANY overlap between people who participated in the original discussion and people who have been active recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Thank you for reminding me of this book. AND it is cheaper on Amazon UK, £5.49
That's good to hear, maybe that means that others outside the US (who may not have as good of e-library access) can get it cheaper than we can and it is feasible.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Jon -- See the Rules. The limit is anything selected in the last 5 years in either prior club is ineligible, and we will shift that list every January. There's a spreadsheet up on my personal OneDrive that is sortable and filterable.
Then why was my nomination disqualified when it was done for history month in 2017?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:20 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post
Old 01-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #38
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Thank you! I was going to nominate The Devil in the White City which was a selection for the MRBC in March 2010 but has been brought up in three separate places for me the last couple of months (a podcast, the November nominations, and one that I can't remember). Since it is now eligible again and since it doesn't look like anyone currently participating here was involved the last go around it seemed like a good option. (I am told that the audio book is very good if anyone is interested.)
The two versions of the audio book are couponable, but not the eBook, which is $11.99 USD in the US Kobo store ($13.99 CAD in the Canadian store).
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #39
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Then why was my nomination disqualified when it was done for history month in 2017?
Because the rules are different for the New Leaf Book Club than they were for the MobileRead Book Club. This is one of the ways where, hopefully, we can get a better selection of books for the vote (along with more open themes and more time to get and read the selected book prior to starting discussions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The two versions of the audio book are couponable, but not the eBook, which is $11.99 USD in the US Kobo store ($13.99 CAD in the Canadian store).
Bummer. Thanks for checking.
I will try to find another option but if someone else wants to nominate it I will certainly second/third it but at that price range I don't expect many to feel comfortable getting it if they don't have library access.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #40
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'll second The Color Purple.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Lots of activity while I have been asleep!

I third The Price of Salt.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #42
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll third Passing.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #43
BelleZora
Wizard

I'll second Green Island.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Rainbows End: A Novel with One Foot in the Future by Vernor Vinge

I will third this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #45
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The Amber Fury by Natalie Haynes

I will second this.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote