Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle
Marvin 3.X: Sync annotations between ipad & iphone

I read the same book on multiple devices (ipad & iphone).

The zero config page sync is a great new feature - thanks!

Question: Can I easily sync annotations between the two devices?

Use case 1:
Annotate on device 1.
Export (Marvin to Marvin) to device 2.

Expected outcome:
Annotations are synced on device 2?

Will annotations on device 1 be preserved or overwritten by those on device 2?

Use case 2:
Sync annotations via iCloud? Future?

Thanks for a great app!
binone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
binone
binone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavensbinone is a rising star in the heavens

Results of some testing.

If I copy annotations (marvin to marvin) option.

Existing highlights on device 2 are preserved.

Highlights from device 1 are added to journal only. The highlights do not get applied to book copy on device 2.

Possible bug: If from journal I click on the newly imported annotation, it takes me to an existing annotation on device 2 and not the location to which the imported annotation applies.

The current annotation handling makes the feature unusable across devices.
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@binone The highlights *should* be preserved. Please open he book on device 2 (the one that received the import), open the book, tap the contents button on top, and see if the annotations are there.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
binone

You are right!

I did the process very carefully this time and the annotations (highlights) did transfer over correctly to the same book on the second device. Existing annotations on the receiving device were also preserved.

Sweet.

I am not sure why it did not appear to work the first time I tried.

So the only (future) ask then is to have a way to transfer these via icloud.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for a great app.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Well, not necessarily via iCloud, perhaps Dropbox (or other cloud storage) would be a good option as well. Syncing of annotations, highlights and bookmarks in Marvin would definitely be a major breakthrough for Marvin – one we've been waiting for for nearly 5 years now. Marvin is, to me, the best iOS e-reader, hands down – but it cannot be called "great" software until it supports a fundamental feature like this (syncing of annotations).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
santoshdts
Banned
santoshdts began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Air 2 with Marvin3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binone View Post
You are right!

I did the process very carefully this time and the annotations (highlights) did transfer over correctly to the same book on the second device. Existing annotations on the receiving device were also preserved.

Sweet.

I am not sure why it did not appear to work the first time I tried.

So the only (future) ask then is to have a way to transfer these via icloud.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and for a great app.
Hi, Iam unable to sync the annotations to my other devices, as mentioned in earlier posts.
Could you please elaborate on the procedure on Marvin 3.1.2

Regards,
santoshdts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
tozzi
tozzi began at the beginning.

Device: marvin
Hi there!

Long time since ios-plugin (Ryker?) for Calibre to synchronise with Marvin.
Still looking for news about synchronizing highlights and annotations from marvin back to calibre on notebook...
Is there a workaround? Or a better (free?) reader on IOS with fully syncing from an to calibre?

Thanks...
Tozz
tozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #8
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
I just figured this out, myself, so for the last two people who commented last year:

On the device you want to copy annotations from, long-press the book with annotations, then choose “Share or send.” In that menu, there is an option for “Annotations (Marvin —> Marvin). Tap that, confirm, then Airdrop the resulting Annotations archive to your other device. The second device will automatically open Marvin and give you the option to import by either copying only the new annotations/highlights or overwriting any existing annotations/highlights. This works flawlessly.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, marvin 3