Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
New "Inspector George Gently" ebooks

If there are any other readers of this forum who enjoy Alan Hunter's "Inspector Gently" series, it may be of interest to note that three more books in the series were released (in the UK, at least) as ebooks today: "Gently Where She Lay", "Gently French", and "Gently in Trees" (numbers 18-20, respectively). The publisher is releasing a new batch of ebooks every few months, very nicely formatted.

A series I very much enjoy, and bearing little resemblance to the TV adaptation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If there are any other readers of this forum who enjoy Alan Hunter's "Inspector Gently" series, it may be of interest to note that three more books in the series were released (in the UK, at least) as ebooks today: "Gently Where She Lay", "Gently French", and "Gently in Trees" (numbers 18-20, respectively). The publisher is releasing a new batch of ebooks every few months, very nicely formatted.

A series I very much enjoy, and bearing little resemblance to the TV adaptation.
Thank you for the heads up. My UK Account comes in handy again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this series not available in the US, Apache?
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Is this series not available in the US, Apache?
Yes, they are available in the US (Canada as well). There are a few great Kobo coupons floating around, so I bought the omnibus of the first 4 books for $0.54 with 95comic since I've enjoyed watching the miniseries on Netflix. My public library (Overdrive) has the three books mentioned in this thread, so I added them to my wishlist and will get them from there eventually.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I actually enjoyed the TV series. Still it is good if the books are different so I won't think I have read them already.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I too enjoy it very much indeed, Helen. I was simply commenting that it was very different to the books.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have been buying them from the UK site. I never bothered to checked Amazon US.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
I too enjoy it very much indeed, Helen. I was simply commenting that it was very different to the books.
I misunderstood
A lot of books I enjoy the TV series and vice versa. A lot I find one or the other less enjoyable. Mostly I am good with BBC or A&E adaptations, others not so much.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I should have been clearer in my post . As you rightly say, some TV adaptations work, some don't. "Morse" worked outstandingly well; "Inspector Lynley" very poorly, to my mind. I think the "George Gently" TV series works extremely well; I just wanted to warn people that (other than the name of the main character) it has virtually no connection with the books, unlike, say, "Morse", where the TV adaptation is pretty faithful to the books.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM   #10
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
New Gently releases coming March 6, 2014

Available for pre-order to be released on March 6 are:

Gently Where the Birds Are
Gently With Love
Gently Instrumental

Price is $7.89 at Kobo US, $9.57/9.59 at Amazon.com.
Got all the previous ones at Kobo with coupons but pre-orders do not seem to accept coupons. The Paypal payment option seems to have disappeared from the US checkout and any Kobo purchase on my credit card generates a suspected-fraud phone call from my bank so that has become a nuisance.

[edit]
Gently Sinking will be available April 3, 2014 on Amazon US price $9.55

Last edited by ngrant; 02-14-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added information and links
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
3 more George Gently ebooks

Both Kobo US and Amazon US have the 25th George Gently adventure

Gently to a Sleep $4.99

Two more are available for pre-order at Kobo, on December 31, 2034 [sic] good old Kobo!

Gently Between Tides $8.09
Gently Heartbroken $8.09

No sign of any of these on Amazon UK, and Amazon US does not show the pre-order ones as yet.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

These are all available on Amazon UK. I see, for example, that I bought "Gently to a Sleep" on 27th June. The "2034" release date for the other two is the same at Amazon, so it's the publisher who's set it.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Both Kobo US and Amazon US have the 25th George Gently adventure

Gently to a Sleep $4.99

Two more are available for pre-order at Kobo, on December 31, 2034 [sic] good old Kobo!

Gently Between Tides $8.09
Gently Heartbroken $8.09

No sign of any of these on Amazon UK, and Amazon US does not show the pre-order ones as yet.
You do realize that Alan Hunter died in 2005 and any new George Gently books would have to be written by someone else.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:33 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do realize that Alan Hunter died in 2005 and any new George Gently books would have to be written by someone else.
Don't be an ass. "New" = "Newly published as ebooks".
Old 08-09-2015, 05:50 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Gently Heartbroken doesn't exist outside of this eBook listing. So how can this be a newly published eBook when the book doesn't exist?

Also, I'd like to know why all of the George Gently books are not available as eBooks. That's just asinine (IMHO).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote