Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #3721
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I just tried my Echo Plus and it does give a blue ring and knows what time it is. I did not test further though. I do know that it won't control my Kasa Smart Wi-Fi LED Light Bulbs though, however I can control them via their Kasa app w/o internet as long as WiFi is working. But these bulbs use their own built-in hubs rather than the Echo Plus's hub.
Yeah, I'd assume that local control only works with devices directly connected to the Echo's hub, not linked through another service, since any interaction with the linked account (kasa, wemo, wink, etc) would require internet.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #3722
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Wow, just imagine what life will be like when the solar kill shot takes our the whole internet and electric grid. Why, we'll need to re-learn how to lite the charcoal grill with MATCHES! Be thankful that we won't have to rub sticks together until the Bic runs out of butane.

I guess I can recharge my cell phone in my car, until I run out of gas; but then why bother when all the towers are dark. Hmmm, that might be a good book title, "Dark Tower" (Sorry Stephen).

Thank goodness I have a hand crank flashlight.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #3723
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Wow, just imagine what life will be like when the solar kill shot takes our the whole internet and electric grid. Why, we'll need to re-learn how to lite the charcoal grill with MATCHES! Be thankful that we won't have to rub sticks together until the Bic runs out of butane.

I guess I can recharge my cell phone in my car, until I run out of gas; but then why bother when all the towers are dark. Hmmm, that might be a good book title, "Dark Tower" (Sorry Stephen).

Thank goodness I have a hand crank flashlight.
That reminds me of Cyber Storm by Matthew Mather, which I listened to on audiobook a while back. Some good urban survival bits, and (minor spoiler ahead)...

Spoiler:

A code geek who hacks their cell phones to work via a local mesh network while the towers are dark.

ApK
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #3724
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
I’m a ham (amateur radio operator) so I’ll be able to use solar power to operate my radios and communicate old school.
OtinG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #3725
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I’m a ham (amateur radio operator) so I’ll be able to use solar power to operate my radios and communicate old school.
So you can talk to all of the other vintage retrogrades? Did'ja know the Army is standing down many (if not all) of the MARS stations? And the Navy-Marine program has already been closed.

At least you'll be able to talk to someone.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM   #3726
ApK

I'm a ham as well. The hobby has been getting a bit of a resurgence among Preppers. Sort of like vinyl records among hipsters. But ham has always had a strong base in emergency and community service comms
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #3727
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
I’m a member of the Tarrant County RACES and we do a lot of spotting for the National Weather Service. I’m not a prepper. Regardless of what Woden thinks we can still talk around the world when conditions are good. Look ma no satellites or cell towers!

MARS has been useless for decades. It was perhaps a good idea back during WWII, and it did a nice service of relaying messages to and from service personnel and their families back when snail mail was the alternative, but it never had any appeal to me. Cellular phones and the internet rendered it obselete a long time ago.

Last edited by OtinG; Yesterday at 11:44 PM.
OtinG is online now   Reply With Quote