Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
pl8o
pl8o began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage (prev, Nook, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 7, Kobo Touch, KA1
Kobo Aura ONE touchscreen generating random button presses, unresponsive

Not to long ago, I got my Kobo Aura ONE replaced because the touchscreen had gone crazy. I thought this was because I had charged it with a Samsung Phone charger.

Now, my replacement has done the same thing.

It went bad a few days after updating to 4.12.12111, while trying to highlight a book from overdrive.

The symptoms:

1. Random unresponsiveness of the screen. Occasionally what I try to press gets pressed; usually it doesn’t.
2. Random button presses when I’m not touching the screen, often in bursts.

It’s bad enough it’s impossible to read or highlight or even change the settings. It took ~10 attempts before it registered the button press to connect it to my computer in order to backup my annotations.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am tired of having to replace my device because of software bugs, especially when the replacements develop the same problem. I have gone through ~4 KA1s trying to get one that would last a year without bricking itself.

It sure seems like a software problem, but, like last time, factory reset did nothing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by pl8o; 12-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.
pl8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've experienced this behaviour when charging with a cheap Chinese unearthed charger. This causes there to be a current to flow when you touch it which interferes with the touch screen and renders it useless.

I've never experienced these symptoms when the reader is not connected to a charger, nor when connected to a high quality charger with a proper earth connection.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
pl8o
pl8o began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage (prev, Nook, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 7, Kobo Touch, KA1
@JeanPierre Ah, curious. Last time it happened, I figured that the charger had done it. This time, I have only charged it off my laptop, though. But both times, it does it even when it’s unplugged.

What were the exact symptoms yours exhibited?

Mine triggers button-presses randomly. It is also completely non-responsive 75+% of the time. When it is responsive, touches often trigger buttons that are laterally displaced. Last time, when you touched the screen it would trigger a button about 3/4 screen to the right. This time, it tends to trigger buttons a few inches to the left of where I touch it.

I have tried restoring from SD card backups to previous software versions — as well as doing factory resets — both times, without any luck. This would indicate that the issue is a bug with lower-level firmware, rather than the software that’s on the SD card.

Last edited by pl8o; 12-22-2018 at 06:39 PM.
pl8o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
BuBTT
BuBTT began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I have the same problem. KOreader was getting freezed because of it. I updated did a factory reset. Still have the same thing but with less appearance on the screen. Most probably it is a hardware problem either you hit to somewhere or it came already damaged which seems like the case now. I recommend you to change it
BuBTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ka1, touchscreen