Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
best ereader app in AMAZON’s Android appstore?

I'm looking for an epub ereader and dictionary/plugin in Amazon’s Android App Store. I need decent epub3/publisher formatting support. Any recommendations?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Why not use the Google App store? No idea if Lithium, Xodo, Aldiko, Bluefire etc are also in Amazon's garden.

I think only one Android App does decent epub3, which I why I keep telling "publishers" that if it doesn't "work" as an epub2, it's not really a real ebook and there is a limited subset of epub3 on eink. People should create apps for iOS & Android rather than using epub3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why not use the Google App store? No idea if Lithium, Xodo, Aldiko, Bluefire etc are also in Amazon's garden.

I think only one Android App does decent epub3, which I why I keep telling "publishers" that if it doesn't "work" as an epub2, it's not really a real ebook and there is a limited subset of epub3 on eink. People should create apps for iOS & Android rather than using epub3.
The poster may be using Windows 11 which can run Android apps, but only has access to the Amazon app store as Google won't play ball.

Introducing Android™ Apps on Windows 11 to Windows Insiders
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Well done, derailed after the first post.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The poster may be using Windows 11 which can run Android apps, but only has access to the Amazon app store as Google won't play ball.

Introducing Android™ Apps on Windows 11 to Windows Insiders
Which would be strange way to have an ereader on Windows 11? Plenty of good ones, though maybe only a couple with full epub3 (Readium based needed?).

I'd assumed a Fire tablet and the OP didn't know how to add Google PlayStore. Android apps only make sense on small Win11 tablet. Also there may be a performance issue.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which would be strange way to have an ereader on Windows 11? Plenty of good ones, though maybe only a couple with full epub3 (Readium based needed?).

I'd assumed a Fire tablet and the OP didn't know how to add Google PlayStore. Android apps only make sense on small Win11 tablet. Also there may be a performance issue.
1: Let it go. It is not helping the OP. They want recs from what's available in the Amazon app store.

2: I'm typing this on a Surface, which makes a great comic reader. Mine is too old to get access to the Android apps. But once I have a newer Surface where I can install my favorite Android comic apps (luckily all available in the Amazon app store), I won't be buying any more Android/Fire tablets.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-16-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #7
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think only one Android App does decent epub3
Would you share the name/link for this app? Thanks
Old 01-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Would you share the name/link for this app? Thanks
I'm sure an epub3 evangelist will be along. I don't remember.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

I use an app called Perfect Viewer for my comics. Aside from comics, it also handle ebooks. But since I read ebooks on my Nooks and Kobo, I don't have much experience with that side of things.

It is available at the Amazon app store if you want to check it out: Perfect Viewer
Old 01-18-2022, 06:28 AM   #10
pata
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I use an app called Perfect Viewer for my comics. Aside from comics, it also handle ebooks. But since I read ebooks on my Nooks and Kobo, I don't have much experience with that side of things.

It is available at the Amazon app store if you want to check it out: Perfect Viewer