Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #781
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Play Books are Google's special ebooks with special-sauce in it. It doesn't use ADE at all. You also have the option it download it though ADE. It works the same as Kobo KEPUBs, except for the part where Kobo stopped offering the ADE option for a lot of books.

(And I think Play books are a complicated javascript mush, like AZK. But that's a difference for format geeks. )
Most books at google can be downloaded as adobe drm ePub and/or PDF from your play books library page. These do have a lot of additional markup but it appears that is for more accurate determination of reading location (noting that the reading app will switch between reflow and 'original' layout).

But it is true the reading apps don't work with ePub or PDF files.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #782
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Most books at google can be downloaded as adobe drm ePub and/or PDF from your play books library page. These do have a lot of additional markup but it appears that is for more accurate determination of reading location (noting that the reading app will switch between reflow and 'original' layout).

But it is true the reading apps don't work with ePub or PDF files.
Yes, and I said that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #783
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Yes. I use it on my Mavericks Pro-book.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #784
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Does anyone know if ADE 2.0 is compatible with Mac Mavericks? I'm considering replacing my old iMac (on which I'm currently running ADE 1.7.2), but would want to be sure that I could still download and disinfect any books I buy.
Dunno about 2, but I'm happily running ADE 1.7.2 on 10.9.3.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #785
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ADE 4 is on the way. Private beta now:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...-4/#more-69741
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #786
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Bluefire is putting out a Windows app next week. I wonder if it will use the new drm or have the possibility of using it? If you can download an Adobe drm book that's a very important question.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...ips-next-week/
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #787
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Bluefire is putting out a Windows app next week. I wonder if it will use the new drm or have the possibility of using it? If you can download an Adobe drm book that's a very important question.

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...ips-next-week/
Given that Bluefire is based on ADE code, I would say yes to being able to download DRMed ePub and yes to also being able to download with the new DRM. The way I'd use Bluefire for Windows is to download via ADE 2, strip the DRM and then read in Bluefire if so desired.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #788
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
ADE 4 is on the way. Private beta now:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...-4/#more-69741
Okay, I'm confused about this .... are they skipping ADE3 and going to go straight to ADE4?

(If I sound like a noob then it's because I freely admit to being a noob in this area )
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #789
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Okay, I'm confused about this .... are they skipping ADE3 and going to go straight to ADE4?

(If I sound like a noob then it's because I freely admit to being a noob in this area )
No, 3.0 is the current version. It's what's offered for download when you go to Adobe's ADE page.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #790
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
@anemicoak, yep I understand about ADE3 (well sort of) but what I don't get is what ADE4 is about.

I realise that it's still in the testing phase .... but I'm wondering if ADE3 will be side lined faster than anticipated with the advent of ADE4.

And therefore wondering if another DRM is simultaneously being devised for ADE4 suitability.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #791
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
@anemicoak, yep I understand about ADE3 (well sort of) but what I don't get is what ADE4 is about.

I realise that it's still in the testing phase .... but I'm wondering if ADE3 will be side lined faster than anticipated with the advent of ADE4.

And therefore wondering if another DRM is simultaneously being devised for ADE4 suitability.
ADE is not just a downloading utility for DRM'ed files, though many of us use it that way. It is also a reading app. ADE4 adds support for epub3 ebooks and it sounds like ADE 4 is supposed to be the benchmark app for epub3. So instead of calling it ADE 3.x, they gave it a full version update.

ADE3 might end up like MS-DOS 4, for those that can remember that far back.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #792
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
ADE is not just a downloading utility for DRM'ed files, though many of us use it that way. It is also a reading app. ADE4 adds support for epub3 ebooks and it sounds like ADE 4 is supposed to be the benchmark app for epub3. So instead of calling it ADE 3.x, they gave it a full version update.

ADE3 might end up like MS-DOS 4, for those that can remember that far back.
Ah, multitasking DOS, incompatible with many existing DOS programs. Has *anybody* ever used that?

On ADE3: I think Adobe introduces ADE4 and EPUB3 officially so fast to try and divert people from the 'new DRM' issue.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-05-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #793
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question

I see both 3.0 and 2.0 available for download from my old iMac. Do we have any idea how long 2.0 will still be available, and whether it's available when checking from a Mac running a newer version of the OS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, 3.0 is the current version. It's what's offered for download when you go to Adobe's ADE page.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #794
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
I see both 3.0 and 2.0 available for download from my old iMac. Do we have any idea how long 2.0 will still be available, and whether it's available when checking from a Mac running a newer version of the OS???
I would just download the install file for 2.0 and keep it safe. That way you can install it wherever and whenever you want.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #795
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You can find 2.0.1 all over the internet. Just download it and archive a copy and use it as long as it is supported for downloading books. The new DRM will be cracked, eventually.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote