Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book (Kindle) - Chinatown Beat

Chinatown Beat, by Henry Chang

Book Description
Detective Jack Yu grew up in Chinatown. Some of his friends are criminals now; some are dead. Jack has just been transferred to his old neighborhood, where 99 percent of the cops are white. Unlike the others, confused by the residents who speak another language even when they’re speaking English, Jack knows what’s going on.

He is confronted with a serial rapist who preys on young Chinese girls. Then Uncle Four, an elderly and respected leader of the charitable Hip Ching Society and member of the Hong Kong-based Red Circle Triad, is gunned down. Jack learns that benevolent Uncle Four had a gorgeous young mistress imported from Hong Kong. And she is missing.

To solve these crimes, Jack turns to an elderly fortune teller, an old friend of his, in addition to employing modern police methods. This debut mystery power-fully conveys the sights, sounds, and smells of Chinatown, as well as the attitudes of its inhabitants.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Nabbed and stabbed.

Thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
dougef
dougef began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
"Bought" it - thanks.
dougef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
It's Topaz ... so I gave it a pass.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
@Moe the Cat in Toronto like moi:

• What makes you think it's topaz and not azw?
• It's free so what difference does that make?

You can read it on your PC or Mac since you don't have a Kindle anyway ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I shouldn't have said "I gave it a pass". What I meant was that I downloaded it, tried to de-drm it, and got an error message stating that it was a topaz book and couldn't be de-drmed that way, so I deleted it. There may be other ways to get a Topaz book on my Sony reader, but it's too much effort for me, whether the book is free or otherwise. I don't want to read it on my PC. There are plenty of other books, free and paid, on my TBR list.

Now, if this book shows up free at another bookstore, in epub, I might give it another bite.

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 10-16-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
pinopao
pinopao began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
just downloaded, thanks
pinopao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
• What makes you think it's topaz and not azw?
Typical of Topaz, it shows Print Length, but not File Size in the product details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
• It's free so what difference does that make?
I passed -- it makes a difference to me. Topaz books are a hassle I don't need, free or not (my to-be-read "pile" is plenty big enough!).

Last edited by bwaldron; 10-17-2010 at 06:11 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, anyone who wanted a non-Topaz version is in luck. Now free @ B&N whence you can get it as either ePub or eReader PDB, depending on whether or not you have access to a Mac.

I leave it getting it from there to the reader of one's choice as an exercise for the downloader.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #10
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Thanks, Koland.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Thanks, Koland and ATDrake!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Susan Crealock
Online Novels
Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Susan Crealock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple iTouch
Did anyone else receive a truncated version of this book? I downloaded it from Kindle on Oct. 16 and reached the chapter titled "Friends" and "In that moment she felt her soul set free, her....." - then nothing. I deleted the book from my iTouch and reloaded it with the same result.

Do Jack and Alex get together? Do the police ever catch Mona?

Guess I'll never know.
Susan Crealock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Really? I have 2,029 locations which feels like the end.

Did you know there are two more books in the series?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I shouldn't have said "I gave it a pass". What I meant was that I downloaded it, tried to de-drm it, and got an error message stating that it was a topaz book and couldn't be de-drmed that way, so I deleted it. There may be other ways to get a Topaz book on my Sony reader, but it's too much effort for me, whether the book is free or otherwise. I don't want to read it on my PC. There are plenty of other books, free and paid, on my TBR list.

Now, if this book shows up free at another bookstore, in epub, I might give it another bite.
Oh, ok.

I didn't realise you would start by removing the DRM. I start by reading the books on whatever device I purchased the title for. Removing DRM is strictly for archival purposes, if I get around to it at all. And, that's just a back-up to the Amazon hosted backup.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Crealock View Post
Did anyone else receive a truncated version of this book? I downloaded it from Kindle on Oct. 16 and reached the chapter titled "Friends" and "In that moment she felt her soul set free, her....." - then nothing. I deleted the book from my iTouch and reloaded it with the same result.

Do Jack and Alex get together? Do the police ever catch Mona?

Guess I'll never know.
Susan, my copy, a Barnes & Noble epub, only has two paragraphs after that sentence. They read:

Spoiler:
In that moment she felt her soul set free, her body set free, from the oppression of men, of the world. She felt the tropical breeze through the gauze of the bandage on her thigh, the bullet wound healing, just a scab now. She knew the scars inside her might never heal, those memories were etched into her heart.

But here, and now, she was free, and nothing could force her back to that life again. She closed her fist over the jade, holding earth under heaven. Who could find her now?

I looked at my Kindle edition (Topaz that it turns out I did not delete after all) and it shows the same thing as the B&N epub.