Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
Nataliecuteiful
Nataliecuteiful began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre, Kindle
Kindle producing azw files that no program can read

Browsed through this forum for answers. Tried a ton of converters other than Calibre. 99% sure that DRM is removed. Tried using different ebooks and I get the same results, which I guess means it's a problem with my computer or my Kindle for PC (literally downloaded it today). Not sure what to do at this point.

Here's the error message I get:

calibre, version 2.77.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Failed to read book, C:\Users\stona\Desktop\Calibre Library\Unknown\B00957T6X6 EBOK (9)\B00957T6X6 EBOK - Unknown.azw click "Show Details" for more information

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 286, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 64, in extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 245, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 34, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi6.py", line 81, in __init__
MobiError: Unknown book type: '\x81\xc4\xde\x02|\x8c"\x08'
Nataliecuteiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:55 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataliecuteiful View Post
Browsed through this forum for answers. Tried a ton of converters other than Calibre. 99% sure that DRM is removed. Tried using different ebooks and I get the same results, which I guess means it's a problem with my computer or my Kindle for PC (literally downloaded it today). Not sure what to do at this point.

Here's the error message I get:

calibre, version 2.77.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Failed to read book, C:\Users\stona\Desktop\Calibre Library\Unknown\B00957T6X6 EBOK (9)\B00957T6X6 EBOK - Unknown.azw click "Show Details" for more information

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 64, in extract_book
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 34, in convert
That's a KFX format file. Nothing handles it at the moment. You'll need to re-install Kindle for PC 1.17 and turn off auto-updates.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
What version is your Kindle For PC? If you downloaded it today you likely have version 1.19 which downloads kfx, not azw or azw3. DRM cannot be removed. You will not be able to even view the books in Calibre let alone convert them.

The solution is to use an earlier version of K4PC, though this is only a short term solution as Amazon progressively phases out older versions. If you have a Kindle EReader you can download for transfer via USB. For discussion of this issue see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...42#post3456342
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataliecuteiful View Post
We will probably being seeing that pattern often in the future.

It comes about because while MOBI and KF8 files have the string "BOOKMOBI" at offset 60 decimal (3c hex), encrypted KFX files typically have that specific binary data as can be seen in this post. (Although checking the first 8 bytes for "\xeaDRMION\xee" is a more reliable indicator.)
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...e0b475469aa733
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Excellent. Thanks, Kovid.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
Nataliecuteiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That's a KFX format file. Nothing handles it at the moment. You'll need to re-install Kindle for PC 1.17 and turn off auto-updates.
Word... this might seem like a dumb question but how do i find a copy of Kindle for PC 1.17? The website only has 1.19 from what i'm understanding and every other website is just not working or getting detected by antivirus...

edit: I tried reinstalling from the website and turned off auto updates as soon as I got it and still got an error message:

calibre, version 2.77.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Failed to read book, C:\Users\stona\Desktop\Calibre Library\Unknown\B00HG1LBRM EBOK (24)\B00HG1LBRM EBOK - Unknown.azw click "Show Details" for more information

Last edited by Nataliecuteiful; 01-18-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is a link to Kindle for PC 1.17.44183. This link will expire seven days from now.

[Link to non-Amazon site removed. Just because a copyright work is free that doesn't give everyone the right to re-distribute it.]

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-19-2017 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Link to copyright software removed. Made notice make sense.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
OKK Looks like the kind of e-book I purchased yesterday. I did manage to Change the Cover put in the Title & the Author. But it wont convert to Mobi or ebup I CAN open & Read it on my Fire Phone & Fire 10 HD Tablet.
Hope some how some one finds the code to crack this! I may need to buy my e-books some where other than Amazon!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OKK Looks like the kind of e-book I purchased yesterday. I did manage to Change the Cover put in the Title & the Author. But it wont convert to Mobi or ebup I CAN open & Read it on my Fire Phone & Fire 10 HD Tablet.
Hope some how some one finds the code to crack this! I may need to buy my e-books some where other than Amazon!
Use the link I posted in post #8 and download Kindle for PC 1.17.44183. Install that (make sure it's checked to not auto-update) and you can download KF8 instead of KFX.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
See this post for links to download directly from Amazon.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The copy of Kindle for PC I linked is a copy from Amazon. It's the one I downloaded in case the version I am using now needs to be updated.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #13
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
@JSWolf. Thank you for posting the link. I don't use K4PC myself but am sure this link and the other links posted to 1.17 versions will be helpful to many people. It will be interesting to see how long Amazon allows use of this version to continue. It is possible that Amazon will allow those who choose to stay with this version to use it indefinitely or for a subsstantial time, though I don't think it is the most likely scenario.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
@JSWolf. Thank you for posting the link. I don't use K4PC myself but am sure this link and the other links posted to 1.17 versions will be helpful to many people. It will be interesting to see how long Amazon allows use of this version to continue. It is possible that Amazon will allow those who choose to stay with this version to use it indefinitely or for a subsstantial time, though I don't think it is the most likely scenario.
I think eventually, we'll have to update and in that case, no more K4PC since it will be downloading KFX where possible.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-23-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #15
Nataliecuteiful

Yayy it worked! Thank you <3