Kobo Nickel 9 6.77%
Malabar 16 12.03%
Kobo UD Kakugo 6 4.51%
Open Dyslexic 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #61
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Since installing the patch that allows the weights of all fonts to be varied in the advanced controls, and the finer line spacing control, I have now settled on Literata as my favourite font. I find it beautiful to look at on the screen, and particularly enjoy the non-slanted italic variant. The balance between bolded and regular fonts is also to my taste.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:53 PM   #62
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Any recommendations for your favorite Chinese fonts on Clara HD? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #63
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Since installing the patch that allows the weights of all fonts to be varied in the advanced controls, and the finer line spacing control, I have now settled on Literata as my favourite font. I find it beautiful to look at on the screen, and particularly enjoy the non-slanted italic variant. The balance between bolded and regular fonts is also to my taste.

What patch allows these options?
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
What patch allows these options?
It's the one named 'Freedom to advanced fonts control' (in the libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml patch file).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #65
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
I like Bitter, and it is my first choose when reading English books.

Last edited by codychan; 03-05-2019 at 09:19 PM.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 PM   #66
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
Any recommendations for your favorite Chinese fonts on Clara HD? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FZPingXianYaSong-R-GBK

I got no Clara HD but Kobo Forma and Kobo Aura One if this matters.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #67
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
None of the ones I like are in the poll. I go back and forth between these three: Merriweather, Deja Vu Serif E-Ink, and Noto Serif. I also will use Chareink sometimes, but usually I prefer that one on tablet/phone.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #68
maximus83
Nameless Being

Of those listed, Georgia. My favorite alternate that's not listed: Palatino.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #69
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a new version of Literata called Literata Book which is wonderful to use on my Aura ONE. The most obvious difference is that they removed unnecessary white space around the characters so that line height can be tuned with values more consistent with Kobo's built-in fonts.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
There's a new version of Literata called Literata Book which is wonderful to use on my Aura ONE. The most obvious difference is that they removed unnecessary white space around the characters so that line height can be tuned with values more consistent with Kobo's built-in fonts.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/literata-book
How funny. I thought Literata was already meant for reading hence the name.

I'll install Literata Book. Literata, Literata Book, Noto Serif. I wonder how much difference I'll see between the three?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #71
chronoreverse
Enthusiast
chronoreverse is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I use Literata because I like that its italics aren't really traditional tilted italics. It lets me notice that a text block is emphasized while not slowing me as much as regular italics do.
chronoreverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #72
JeanPierre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
How funny. I thought Literata was already meant for reading hence the name.

I'll install Literata Book. Literata, Literata Book, Noto Serif. I wonder how much difference I'll see between the three?
It has been a while since I examined all of these closely, so what follows is from memory, and in the absence of other replies I hope may guide your own inspections.

Literata Book and Literata have identical letter forms. However, Literata Book appears to have more kern pairs and ligatures. The most obvious example of the latter I believe (and this is where my memory may fail me) is the ff ligature, which has a flattened first f. Additionally, Literata Book cleans up the whitespace around the letters in Literata, such that I went from using a line height setting of 0.9 with Literata to 1.1 with Literata Book. This is more consistent with Kobo's built-in fonts.

You should find Noto Serif similar to Literata Book (though I only compared it directly to Literata long ago) since the letters are similar and there is no wasted white space around them. The italics for Noto Serif are slanted versions of the regular letters though, unlike Literata Book, which effectively uses an entirely different font for italics. I like this effect very much indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
I use Literata because I like that its italics aren't really traditional tilted italics. It lets me notice that a text block is emphasized while not slowing me as much as regular italics do.
I agree! It's my favourite thing about the font.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #73
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Thanks for the info -- I love Literata and Literata Book is, if possible, even better (I tend to keep my line-height quite small). Probably one of the most readable fonts I've ever used.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #74
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
The Overpass semibold is extraordinary light and clear; and is based on the Highway gothic font

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Overpass
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #75
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Thanks for the info -- I love Literata and Literata Book is, if possible, even better (I tend to keep my line-height quite small). Probably one of the most readable fonts I've ever used.

I really like Literata Book, but for some reason the Bold isn't even listed as an option. (No problem with Book, Medium, and SemiBold as choices.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote