Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #181
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Thanks
Did some more tests. I used the stand alone version. No surprises.

Three minor observations:
  1. users might encounter something like the following with the standalone version - you only have to click Run Anyway once.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	510
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	144045

2. got this message - of no consequence I would guess
    Code:
    Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
    I'm using Win 10 version 1511, Build 10586.11
  3. was taken aback when 'it' disappeared after saving the scrambled file

Any issues if I test the plug-in in Calibre Portable

FWIW - Good job

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #182
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thanks for testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
1. users might encounter something like the following with the standalone version - you only have to click Run Anyway once.

Attachment 144045
Do you mean that having clicked 'Run Anyway' once, you're never asked again? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. A bit off-putting for a nervous user, though. Is this 'just the way it is, get used to it' with Win10? How do you make a 3-line bat file 'safe'?

Quote:
2. got this message - of no consequence I would guess
Code:
Qt: Untested Windows version 10.0 detected!
I'm using Win 10 version 1511, Build 10586.11

3. was taken aback when 'it' disappeared after saving the scrambled file
Not sure where that error/info message is coming from. Presumably either calibre or Qt itself because it's not part of any error-checking I've added.

Quote:
Any issues if I test the plug-in in Calibre Portable
Is this a question? I've never run Calibre Portable, so I don't know if there are special considerations. It doesn't have a config file so no potential issues with that.

So far, I'm not doing too well, am I?

ETA: Were you able to test with your Cyrillic books? Did they get fully scrambled - allbeit to ASCII not Cyrillic?

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-24-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: ETA: Cyrillic question
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #183
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jackie - the first two items were heads up messages. The third was a hint that maybe the Save button should read Save and Exit, or not exit. But on reflection I wanted to use it repeatedly, I actually tried to DnD an epub into it not the bat file, the scrambler Normal usage would be one book.

Quote:
Do you mean that having clicked 'Run Anyway' once, you're never asked again? I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it. A bit off-putting for a nervous user, though. Is this 'just the way it is, get used to it' with Win10? How do you make a 3-line bat file 'safe'?
See this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...lock-file.html

In Win 7 the messages were a bit more obscure and tended to get confused with Permission faults. If you had UAC off you didn't see them, in Win 8/10 they've separated the 'check' into a feature called Smartscreen that you can disable separately.

Yes, once you click Run Anyway you wont see it again on that BAT file. All it actually does is to tick the unblock box :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	144057

I think you need security certs to make it 'safe'. You might want to write something in the 'blurb' about it

Quote:
Not sure where that error/info message is coming from. Presumably either calibre or Qt itself because it's not part of any error-checking I've added.
I assume Qt issues the message - it must query the Windows version and compare it to a list of known versions, if there's no match then it issues the message as a hint to the developer (in this case Kovid), that they there maybe some 'issues'. The Win 10 version I'm using was released earlier this month.

Again, you might want to write something in the 'blurb' about it.

Quote:
Is this a question? I've never run Calibre Portable, so I don't know if there are special considerations. It doesn't have a config file so no potential issues with that.
I'd be shocked if there were any issues - it was just a thought that went to my fingers as I was typing my findings on the standalone version, I do quite a lot of my testing/experiments in portable.

Quote:
ETA: Were you able to test with your Cyrillic books? Did they get fully scrambled - allbeit to ASCII not Cyrillic?
Yes I did a some, scrambled ASCII was OK - almost as readable as the Russian

What I didn't find was any SVG's, where I thought there might have been some, there wasn't nary a one.

Should be able to do the PI tests later today.

I'd say its ready to go - proof, pudding and all that.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-24-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:13 PM   #184
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
What I didn't find was any SVG's, where I thought there might have been some, there wasn't nary a one.

BR
Don't worry about SVG BR, the utility works fine with ebooks with lots of svg images
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #185
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Should be able to do the PI tests later today.

I'd say its ready to go - proof, pudding and all that.
I'm not really sure who the likely audience (if any) for the standalone version might be, but they are probably more likely to be tech-savvy than calibre plugin users. Hopefully Qt error messages and Windows permissions considerations won't be too upsetting for them

I'll update the 'Save' button to 'Save & Exit' before releasing in the Plugin forum.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #186
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
OK. Thanks, Ruben I've incorporated all 3 ready for the next release.

I'm waiting for BetterRed's and eschwartz's comments on the 0.0.3b version before doing anything else.
Sorry for the lateness of the reply.

Works great now, thanks. No buildup of files, the only things that stick around are the currently-active before-and-after folders (for the preview, which is a nice feature), and as soon as EbookScramble closes, that got cleaned up as well.

And calibre now responds immediately when trying to close, rather than waiting around to clean up those files first.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #187
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sorry for the lateness of the reply.

Works great now, thanks. No buildup of files, the only things that stick around are the currently-active before-and-after folders (for the preview, which is a nice feature), and as soon as EbookScramble closes, that got cleaned up as well.

And calibre now responds immediately when trying to close, rather than waiting around to clean up those files first.
Many thanks to beta-testers

I'll release v0.0.4 in the main calibre Plugin forum in the next few days, once I've decided what to put in the blurb.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:47 PM   #188
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jackie-w - tested on the plugin (in portable and 32bit) no surprises scramble-wise, nor any 'potentially' disturbing messages from Windows or Qt. However:-

The install doesn't offer a Restart now button, but if I click Customise I get message telling me I can't Customise until I do a restart, so I do a restart and then click Customise and I get ERROR: <b>ImportError</b>:No module named config. But of course the PI has no Customisations. The AZW4 Input PI has better behaviour - Plug-in: AZW4 Input does not need customisation.

When I remove the plugin it isn't removed from the menu's. So I installed the Search the Internet PI to see what it did - same story, wasn't removed from menu's - I had to restart calibre. Maybe it's been ever thus. It might be an idea to offer a restart after any PI is removed to tidy up the menu's - but that's a calibre issue not a Scramble issue.

After installing a uninstalling the PI a few times I found that I didn't get an option on the install to set menus - I had previously added to the no-device context menu, and it wasn't available in Preferences->Toolbars - I had to restart calibre to make it appear in the left hand list. Another reason to offer the Restart Button on install.

Finally - to be in keeping with most other PI names (action (verb) object (noun)) can I suggest "Scramble Ebook" at the PI's name.

BR
Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #189
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@BetterRed,

I'll have a look at Customization and Restart. What I'm missing is not immediately obvious to me at the moment, though.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #190
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@jackie-w - I think I might have noticed some of these install/uninstall anomalies with other PI's, but it's been long time since I installed/uninstalled any.

IMO it would be better if a restart was always offered on PI installs and uninstalls. There's a lot to be said for consistency. If I see reference to «something» in a menu/icon bar when I just removed «something», I'm likely to go -- eh, what the . . .

BR
Old 11-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #191
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackie-w - I think I might have noticed some of these install/uninstall anomalies with other PI's, but it's been long time since I installed/uninstalled any.
I could be wrong but I think the'Restart calibre now' button appears when you install a plugin via the calibre Plugin Updater which offers the official calibre list. As ScrambleEbook (see I renamed it! but you're going to have to convince JimmXinu to do the same with EpubSplit and EpubMerge ) isn't on this list yet ... I'll revisit once it appears on the list and take it from there.

The Customize error has been squished
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #192
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK the deed is done. Post #2 updated with general release v0.0.4. If you downloaded an earlier version please replace it.

Calibre plugin v0.0.4 moved to own thread (under new name ScrambleEbook - courtesy BetterRed). Let's see if it flies, limps or sinks without trace.

I'm not planning any further work unless/until someone reports a problem.

@BetterRed,
As suspected, the 'Restart calibre now' button is now available when using the calibre Plugin Updater.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #193
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

update v0.0.5

• Update v0.0.5 - remove extra calibre-specific metadata from EPUB3 books

Post #2 updated with v0.0.5 zip file