Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
What's next for the hacks?

Well you gurus might have already considered about this... I have just got
my Kindle DX and feel excited about the usbnet and especially the hardware capability (600+Mhz CPU, 12MB Mem, 400MB internal + 4GB storage, 1200x800 display...)

Now we have ssh/ftp access to the root filesystem and a working toolchain to build executables. What's in my mind is:

1. Maybe it's possible to put in more 'debugging commands'? so we can execute them directly in the 'Search Box' (I'll try this one tomorrow. )
2. Seems to me Kindle DX is using Java ME (CDC), so it's very possible to build a working java compiler for this platform. By reverse engineering the Amazon library interfaces, we can plug new 'booklets' into the system and gets them working. A simple possible way is to replace the 'demo.jar' with customized ones for test. - Very possible to port the Java FBReader on Kindle DX.
3. Customized Linux? - Way tooo much work...
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote