YEA 30 53.57%
NAY 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
If you read a life altering text, do you not want to share that text with as many people as possible so that they might have the same experience as you? And do you not think that any block to this kind of sharing is severely detrimental to the advancement of our species culture...
You are free to share that text, even within the confines of copyright law. You are free to summarize it or share excerpts of it. If it is on some sort of media (eg. paper, CD-ROM) you can give another person your legally acquired copy. If it is on a publicly accessible website, you can share the URL. What you cannot do is create near verbatim copies of the text.

And, quite frankly, I don't see what your obsession with money is. Copyright law is not about money. Copyright law is about controlling the supply. It is true that you can generate revenue by controlling the supply, but you can just as easily use copyright to restrict access to material (say a private diary).
Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
You are free to share that text, even within the confines of copyright law. You are free to summarize it or share excerpts of it. If it is on some sort of media (eg. paper, CD-ROM) you can give another person your legally acquired copy. If it is on a publicly accessible website, you can share the URL. What you cannot do is create near verbatim copies of the text.

And, quite frankly, I don't see what your obsession with money is. Copyright law is not about money. Copyright law is about controlling the supply. It is true that you can generate revenue by controlling the supply, but you can just as easily use copyright to restrict access to material (say a private diary).
Giggleton's obsession with money is because he would rather take something for free than put some effort into making some money. The old "trying to get something for nothing" scam.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #33
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
: coffeebreak:
Repeat as needed until either unconscious or the troll is
The thread is very similar to the "Do you books?" thread.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #34
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
This argument is not very convincing regarding fiction.
I have found that my life/wordlview has been significantly changed by a number of fictional books that I have read. One might argue that the difference between fiction and nonfiction is very very slim as well. In fact it is fun to argue that

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Yes, it is easier to copy and transmit data. That in no way implies that we should have every book for free. That is like saying that we should have free airplane tickets, because travel has become so much cheaper and faster.

WHAT money? If text aren't sold, where does the money come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Giggleton's obsession with money is because he would rather take something for free than put some effort into making some money. The old "trying to get something for nothing" scam.
I wouldn't say travel has become cheaper, but if we do figure out teleportation ala startrek, with the energy required obtained from the sun, do you think it would be right to charge people for their transportation needs? Taking this thinking backwards to the present day, do you think it is right to charge the individual for a ride on a public transportation system, (energy required for everything is supplied by the sun after all) Wouldn't it make more sense to charge the public for the system and allow everyone to ride as much as they wish to, funds for the system given by raising the tax rate for the transportation system??

I also would not say I have an obsession with money, I might have an obsession with thinking about ways that the our society could work without money...

But why do you feel that the purpose of writing books is to make money? Isn't the purpose of writing to let others share in the thoughts that you have had?? Any block to this end is WRONG. If you are writing books to put food on the table, why don't you just go outside and plant some carrots instead?

You have to believe that our culture will not let the most important (important being a subjective and flexible view) artists languish in hovels with nothing to eat. By not allowing creators to set prices of content on the network, the culture as a whole will be able to more adequately determine which artists should be compensated, this compensation would of course be in the hopes of a future art of the same caliber.

Money could be taken from an art fund, supported through taxes. Perhaps a bit of the defense budget could be moved toward this fund, and perhaps a few of those working in the defense department could then become artists, but that might just be wishful thinking...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wouldn't say travel has become cheaper, but if we do figure out teleportation ala startrek, with the energy required obtained from the sun, do you think it would be right to charge people for their transportation needs? Taking this thinking backwards to the present day, do you think it is right to charge the individual for a ride on a public transportation system, (energy required for everything is supplied by the sun after all) Wouldn't it make more sense to charge the public for the system and allow everyone to ride as much as they wish to, funds for the system given by raising the tax rate for the transportation system??
Yes I think it would be right to charge people for that, they have to employ people to work there, solar panels aren't cheap either, and nothing maintains itself.

And I don't think the government should run it if that did happen. I'm sure people would rather pay directly for the product/service than have the tax rate go up.
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
I have found that my life/wordlview has been significantly changed by a number of fictional books that I have read. One might argue that the difference between fiction and nonfiction is very very slim as well. In fact it is fun to argue that

I wouldn't say travel has become cheaper, but if we do figure out teleportation ala startrek, with the energy required obtained from the sun, do you think it would be right to charge people for their transportation needs?
But that's so far into the future that it probably won't happen in our lifetimes if ever.

Last edited by The Terminator; 02-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If a website hosts all knowledge and gives access to everyone, but donates any profit received through the site to relevant charities (educational facilities etc...) Should the site be allowed to exist?
If my aunt had testicles should she be my uncle?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #38
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
since you asked about KNOWLEDGE
I d rather vote No I'm damn happy about the fact that some people DON'T know how to brew poisons or explosives
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #39
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
When money is done away with, then Giggleton's Star Treck analogy might work. However, my Internet connection, water and other utility rates mean that for now, I need to charge for my time. Bugger me. . . . My home loan interest rates just went up.

Giggleton . . . . How do we buy food in your world? Or is it free?
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Yes I think it would be right to charge people for that, they have to employ people to work there, solar panels aren't cheap either, and nothing maintains itself.

And I don't think the government should run it if that did happen. I'm sure people would rather pay directly for the product/service than have the tax rate go up.
The thing about public transportation and the public domain is that the more the public uses them, the more their value increases. It is easy to see the detrimental effects of large portions of society not using public transportation systems, but the effects of society not using the public domain, or even not being allowed to are harder to see as mentioned previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
When money is done away with, then Giggleton's Star Treck analogy might work. However, my Internet connection, water and other utility rates mean that for now, I need to charge for my time. Bugger me. . . . My home loan interest rates just went up.

Giggleton . . . . How do we buy food in your world? Or is it free?
Money definitely seems to make food distribution simpler, but is our food distribution system sustainable???
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #41
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I wouldn't say travel has become cheaper
Why not? It has. A hundred years ago, a journey of just a few miles was often a pretty major event. Where I grew up used to have two county fairs, because the county was 90 miles wide. The second fair closed several years ago, although it had become an anachronism long before. The journey that was considered such a long trip a century ago became insignificant.

Quote:
Taking this thinking backwards to the present day, do you think it is right to charge the individual for a ride on a public transportation system, (energy required for everything is supplied by the sun after all) Wouldn't it make more sense to charge the public for the system and allow everyone to ride as much as they wish to, funds for the system given by raising the tax rate for the transportation system??
Transit systems cost money, it has to be paid for somehow. You could have a system where it was paid for by taxes rather than by fares. But transit is pretty fungible; one bus ride is pretty much like any other. Books are not. Some books, many people will be willing to pay for, other books, few people will pay for.

Quote:
But why do you feel that the purpose of writing books is to make money? Isn't the purpose of writing to let others share in the thoughts that you have had?? Any block to this end is WRONG. If you are writing books to put food on the table, why don't you just go outside and plant some carrots instead?
And then when would they write? People have to make a living. You would have writers only writing when they had some spare time. If you want authors to produce good books, you want them to be able to dedicate themselves to writing full time. They need not only carrots, but clothes and somewhere to live. My reducing writing to a hobby only done in spare time, you create the very block you say is wrong.

Quote:
You have to believe that our culture will not let the most important (important being a subjective and flexible view) artists languish in hovels with nothing to eat. By not allowing creators to set prices of content on the network, the culture as a whole will be able to more adequately determine which artists should be compensated, this compensation would of course be in the hopes of a future art of the same caliber.
We already have a fantastically effective method for determining which artists should be compensated. People pick up a book, they look at the price, and they decide whether the book is worth $8.99. If they decide it is, they pay it. If not, they put it down, and consider some other book.

Quote:
Money could be taken from an art fund, supported through taxes. Perhaps a bit of the defense budget could be moved toward this fund, and perhaps a few of those working in the defense department could then become artists, but that might just be wishful thinking...
That's a great idea... if you hate books. I have no interest in a book commissar deciding what books are worthy. It would result in widespread censorship. Only the approved books would be funded. I will decide for myself who gets compensated.

The system you propose takes compensation out of the hands of readers, and putting in the hands of some bureaucrat. That life-changing book doesn't get written because it doesn't make it through the committee. What is a life-changing book for you might not be life-changing for someone else.

An author can be successful in a niche market. If people as a whole determine who gets compensated, then these niches die. That means readers have less choice. Copyright for a limited time is the goose that laid the golden egg.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #42
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
The system you propose takes compensation out of the hands of readers, and putting in the hands of some bureaucrat. That life-changing book doesn't get written because it doesn't make it through the committee. What is a life-changing book for you might not be life-changing for someone else.

Copyright for a limited time is the goose that laid the golden egg.
I would price any book that causes me to think about the world in a new and unsuspected way as priceless...

Is the goose so golden?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #43
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I would price any book that causes me to think about the world in a new and unsuspected way as priceless...
Would you really? Your entire point is that you price that book at ZERO dollars and ZERO cents.

Quote:
Is the goose so golden?
If you claim that these books are important, then you claim it is golden.

The world you claim to want already exists. There are many people who offer their book for free. But you don't WANT those books, you want those books that are written by people who are hoping to use those books to put food on the table, clothes on their backs and a roof over their head.

If you had your way, only those who wrote as a hobby would write. People would be too busy working a day job to dedicate themselves to writing.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #44
The Terminator
Retired

Quote:
Would you really? Your entire point is that you price that book at ZERO dollars and ZERO cents.

+1

Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #45
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Giggleton is a man on a mission, obsessed with making sure that authors don't get paid. So in love with his money, he never wants to part even with a few bucks.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote