Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Dead Voyage

Well, now I am depressed. I got up this morning and got my coffee and found my Voyage is dead. I tried restarting several times. I tried charging for 4 hours. I tried connecting to my PC. No luck. I guess I should have bought the extended warranty. It is not even 2 years old. It has always been in a case by my reading chair. Never traveled. Never dropped. Not sure what to do now. I love the page turn sensors. They are not available anymore. My Nooks always lasted longer than that. For now I will just read on my iPad until inspiration strikes. Nothing available looks appealing for the prices they want to charge. Not looking for any advice really. Just wanted to vent. Thanks for reading.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #2
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Well, now I am depressed. I got up this morning and got my coffee and found my Voyage is dead. I tried restarting several times. I tried charging for 4 hours. I tried connecting to my PC. No luck. I guess I should have bought the extended warranty. It is not even 2 years old. It has always been in a case by my reading chair. Never traveled. Never dropped. Not sure what to do now. I love the page turn sensors. They are not available anymore. My Nooks always lasted longer than that. For now I will just read on my iPad until inspiration strikes. Nothing available looks appealing for the prices they want to charge. Not looking for any advice really. Just wanted to vent. Thanks for reading.
I don't know if it will help, but try charging it for at least 24 hours.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Nikkidog
Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikkidog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis2, Paperwhite4
Amazon still has refurbished Voyages available, but they are $139.
The Voyage should last longer than 2 years. Maybe you could call Amazon and they will give you a deal on a refurbished Voyage. You will probably have to return the dead one.
Nikkidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
I know you aren't looking for advise but plug it in for 24 hours. Also try holding the power button for at least 60 seconds. You can also look into replacing the battery. You can get a battery for as low as $25 and there are youtube video's showing how to replace.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
If the charging light is not lighting up when you plug it in, it may be because the cable has gone bad. Try a different one. Try plugging the cable into a wall charger rather than your PC.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried leaving it plugged in for 24 hours. I tried holding the power switch for more than 60 seconds. All no good. The charging light lights up fine and the device will even charge but that is all. I went to BN to look at the Glowlight 3 and I decided that the feature that I like best is the flush screen on my Voyage. I think I can live without page turn buttons (since my iPad doesn't have any buttons). I decided to trade it in for 25% off the new Paperwhite. Should I deregister the Voyage online before I ship it back. I certainly can't do it on the device. Or, should I wait until Amazon receives it. Or, does it make any difference?
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #7
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Sorry about your Voyage cgsmom, I would just ask Amazon what to do with it ? Since it doesn't power on it probably doesn't make a difference.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #8
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Woot has them today only for $99
https://www.woot.com/category/comput...f=w_ft_tn_cp_4
(I saw it in another post on this forum).

Last edited by Ksane; 11-14-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
Woot has them today only for $99
https://www.woot.com/category/comput...f=w_ft_tn_cp_4
(I saw it in another post on this forum).
I've never bought from woot. How good are the products, kindles in particular? Is it hit and miss? Who does the refurbing?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I just bought one. Of course, I won't know the condition until it arrives. It's fulfilled by Amazon (stored, packed and shipped by...) I don't know who does the actual refurbing.
I've never bought from Woot before. From what I can remember, the Kindles bought by members here were in good condition. Here's one I recall:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...99#post3669599

You can sign-in with your Amazon account and make purchases. Prime members get free standard shipping.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I've never bought from woot. How good are the products, kindles in particular? Is it hit and miss? Who does the refurbing?
Woot is owned by Amazon (you can even get free shipping now via Prime and login to Woot using your Amazon user name). So I think it's the same as buying directly from Amazon, except they don't guarantee high-speed shipping.

EDIT: Looks like my post was redundant. Sorry, JimmyR.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
EDIT: Looks like my post was redundant. Sorry, JimmyR.
Always good to have corroboration.

Plus, I didn't know Woot was owned by Amazon.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-14-2018 at 05:56 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just got a 6" Oasis 3g for $170 from them a few wks ago. The ad said "refurbished but we're calling them used". It literally looks brand new, cover and all. Then I bought 2 spare "refurbished" charging covers on Ebay for $25 each that look & charge like brand new.
I've wanted the 6" Oasis for so long, Im thrilled with it.
ETA: I did notice they were owned by Amazon now. But oddly enough Amazon had the same exact refurbished Ereader that I got except it was $390, not $170.

Last edited by Ksane; 11-14-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
There are quite a few "dead" Voyage on EBay, is it prudent and get a surely working unit instead?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
There are quite a few "dead" Voyage on EBay, is it prudent and get a surely working unit instead?

Cheers.
I think the dead Voyages are being sold for parts on ebay. Sadly it's going to be harder to find a new Voyage now that they have been discontinued. You can still find them but they come and go quickly. I have 3 Voyages now 2 are back up. Probably will have one become a donor when it stops working ......I have considered lining my freezer with replaceable batteries but have resisted so far.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote