Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 02:17 AM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rioachim View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200529680

What’s new:

Read Arabic language books: Your Kindle e-reader now supports Arabic language books. Choose one from a selection of thousands on the Kindle store and enjoy reading Arabic content.

Read with your own fonts: You can now install your favorite fonts on your Kindle and choose one of them from the Display Settings (Aa) menu to read your eBooks. Connect your Kindle to a computer and refer to the “Read Me” file in the “fonts” folder for more information.
I have been unable to get Arabic language books from Amazon to download to my Kindle.

I just checked the above mentioned Software Updates web page again and I no longer see any mention of Arabic language support. I remember it being there yesterday.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
New firmware installed on my Kindle 8th Generation. Constantia seems to work well. First book I tried, however (one I produced) locked up. Like an idiot I deleted the book, so I can't try it again until I get home. I had one other book lock up, but (I think) I changed the font and it loaded in. Once I did that I was able to change fonts at will and have had no further problems. It might have something to do with the fact that Constantia was embedded in the books that I created/reformatted. Other than that initial hitch (and I'm anxious to get home and try out the one book again) I've had no further problems. Very nice additional feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have been unable to get Arabic language books from Amazon to download to my Kindle.

I just checked the above mentioned Software Updates web page again and I no longer see any mention of Arabic language support. I remember it being there yesterday.
It was there. I saw it as well. They must have had a glitch.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:59 AM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Finally, I can use Courier New!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #20
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
If you get a chance, could you try to send an Amazon-published Arabic language book to your Kindle. That is what I can't get to work.
I couldn't get it to work with the Arabic version of the Da Vinci Code Kindle book either. AFAIK, all Arabic Kindle books currently listed on Amazon are actually print replica books, which aren't supported by eInk devices.

Most likely Amazon has deleted the Arabic language support section, because they're waiting for publishers to upload Arabic ebooks that can be converted to KFX books.

It's also a bit strange that they don't allow eInk Kindle users to download the Oxford English-Arabic dictionary, which is a free Kindle for iOS download.

I've attached screenshots of the new Arabic keyboard layout, which seems to be based on the macOS layout, and the Arabic font selection dialog box showing the new default Arabic fonts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keyboard.png
Views:	427
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	164340   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiwanMuna.png
Views:	511
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	164341   Click image for larger version

Name:	SakkalKitab.png
Views:	437
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	164342  

Last edited by Doitsu; 06-07-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #21
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
This is one of the best news I have read in years! Thank you!
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I couldn't get it to work with the Arabic version of the Da Vinci Code Kindle book either. AFAIK, all Arabic Kindle books currently listed on Amazon are actually print replica books, which aren't supported by eInk devices.

Most likely Amazon has deleted the Arabic language support section, because they're waiting for publishers to upload Arabic ebooks that can be converted to KFX books.
There appear to be many Arabic language books already available for purchase in KFX format. I had the free sample of the Da Vinci Code sent to my Android device. It was definitely delivered in reflowable KFX format, not print replica. The same sample could not be delivered to my Oasis.

My best guess is that they discovered a major problem at the last moment and rather than delaying the release Amazon instead just disabled delivery of Arabic language books to this new firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It's also a bit strange that they don't allow eInk Kindle users to download the Oxford English-Arabic dictionary, which is a free Kindle for iOS download.
On my Oasis and my PW2 two Arabic dictionaries (Oxford Arabic to English and Al-Munjid Arabic) downloaded immediately after the update installed without my doing anything. I see them in the "Dictionaries" collection and I can open and read them from there. They also work as expected to provide definitions for a sideloaded Arabic language book in KFX format.

I deleted one of the dictionaries and was able to resend it to the device from the "Manage Your Content and Devices" web page. (I do see multiple dictionaries with those names listed, only one of which is compatible with my e-ink Kindles.)

Edit: Upon re-reading I see that you are referring to the English to Arabic dictionary. I agree the lack of that is odd.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-07-2018 at 09:08 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #23
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Installed on my Voyage. Added three different fonts to the Voyage and was able to then change to a font I had added for the book I was reading. But when I went back in to the font menu, my custom fonts were no longer showing up. I tried a couple different books without success. A restart didn’t help. Will play with it some more this evening when I get home from work.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Finally, I can use Courier New!
for mentioning this...I installed it on my Oasis 2 and reading for an hour now. I love this font. Out of all the different fonts I have tried this looks most like print from a paper book.
gunbad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #25
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I've found a few fonts from the ones I have on my computer that I like the look of on the Kindle. My favorite free font, called "Average,", unfortunately doesn't have an italic included, but my second favorite called "Bliss Pro," does. I actually have several fonts under the custom menu right now, as I've found I like switching periodically between them as the inclination strikes. My work around for the new font feature not working for .mobi books, converting them to .azw3 with Calibre works fine, although it's a little annoying as I have a lot of books I need to convert.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 06-07-2018 at 01:34 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well, they finally added a feature I am totally clueless how to use. I wouldn't even know where to get started, where to get the fonts, etc. But good for those that been wanting that without having to do the hacking whatever they had to do for it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Well, they finally added a feature I am totally clueless how to use. I wouldn't even know where to get started, where to get the fonts, etc. But good for those that been wanting that without having to do the hacking whatever they had to do for it.

I kind of feel the same way. Nice feature, but I’m not really sure I’ll use it.

What I would love to have would be an e-reader friendly serif font with true small caps included. That I would happily load on both my Kindle AND Kobo, but where to find....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
There are many sites with free fonts.
This one, for example: https://www.dafont.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
Bookerly has also been tweaked. It's a little lighter now and feels much more like a real print typeface to me.
I've taken screenshots before and after. I see no difference.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:01 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I like it because I now use my favorite font (Constantia) on my 8th Generation Kindle (KT3) when reading library books. This is the font I embed into ePub books (via Calibre) for my Nook and Sonys (and I also have it loaded on my Kobos). To get the Constantia font was the only reason I jailbroke my 8th Generation Kindle – only to have issues with the app that was supposed to load fonts. Now I don't have to worry about jailbreaking. I'm very surprised (and happy) Amazon did this. I've wondered why they balked at this in the past.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:05 AM   #30
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Can’t wait to load the update on to my Oasis 2. Can anyone recommend a free font that is similar to Amasis? I really liked the way it looked on my Sony T-1...
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote